HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

When you trade the HS250 what will you buy?

Old 02-05-17, 11:51 AM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When you trade the HS250 what will you buy?

I will probably trade in the HS250h approximately a year from now, and have been thinking about the possibilities. Being a retired math/tech teacher I love the advanced safety features of the Lexus and am also looking for comfort. The non-folding rear seat of the HS250h has annoyed me since day 1 but I don't need a lot of storage space because there are usually only 2 passengers, me and my wife. I would also like a higher ride height if possible. In my price range of $25-35 thousand I have narrowed it down to a Buick Encore or Ford Escape Titanium but have time to consider any other options. I have seen the Airman on the Buick Encore forums, so I would especially value his insight. Any opinions?
The following users liked this post:
TheAirman (02-06-17)
Old 02-05-17, 02:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Would you consider another hybrid? A CPO NX 300h, new Rav4 Hybrid, or upcoming Toyota C-HR also expected to have a hybrid option.
Old 02-05-17, 03:11 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

I would consider another hybrid, but the cost of Lexus maintenance and parts turns me off. I do oil changes and tire rotations myself, but I worry about the cost of hybrid parts for a Lexus. The only NX300h CPO near me is $45,000 which is more than I want to pay. I used to have a RAV4 v6 Limited, but it was somewhat noisy and not smooth riding which is why I bought the Lexus.
Old 02-06-17, 04:23 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If you like tech, how about going electric for your next car? There are a range of options coming on line in a year or two.
Old 02-06-17, 11:06 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,085 Likes on 927 Posts

Went to the DC Auto Show this weekend and the new Honda Civic is impressive. Same with the Kia Niro which is a small hybrid CUV or wagon that looks like a normal vehicle. Also, Toyota has decided to include their technology safety suite (or whatever they call it) on all new vehicles! So active cruise control, lane keeping assist, auto high beams etc will be standard, even on Corolla's!
Old 02-06-17, 11:24 AM
toomeypj
Rookie

Electric is fine, I will also consider a used 2017 Volt when the time comes. Range anxiety prevents me from wanting a full electric. Not sure if the seats might be too low for an old retired couple but it's worth a look.
Old 02-06-17, 08:04 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toomeypj
I will probably trade in the HS250h approximately a year from now, and have been thinking about the possibilities. Being a retired math/tech teacher I love the advanced safety features of the Lexus and am also looking for comfort. The non-folding rear seat of the HS250h has annoyed me since day 1 but I don't need a lot of storage space because there are usually only 2 passengers, me and my wife. I would also like a higher ride height if possible. In my price range of $25-35 thousand I have narrowed it down to a Buick Encore or Ford Escape Titanium but have time to consider any other options. I have seen the Airman on the Buick Encore forums, so I would especially value his insight. Any opinions?
So you found me, huh ?

I love it !!!

This is a good thread you started, and I'll give you my opinion on the Encore, and since I've been shopping around, on what I was looking at to replace my trouble free HS. I just don't have the time now. But if you're looking at a car in that class you described, don't forget to check out the Subaru Crosstrek. You might be surprised.

Last edited by TheAirman; 02-06-17 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-07-17, 05:38 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Went to the DC Auto Show this weekend and the new Honda Civic is impressive.
My son leased a 2016 Civic coupe. Pretty nice car, with a small turbo. He averages about the same mpg as my HS, about 36. Very nice looking inside and out, and the sedan has a ton of rear seat room for the price. It's actually classified as a midsized car now. CVT tranny, which I don't like but will feel familiar to HS owners. I understand a manual is now available on the 2017's, along with a 4 door hatch.
Old 02-07-17, 06:43 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Electric is fine, I will also consider a used 2017 Volt when the time comes. Range anxiety prevents me from wanting a full electric. Not sure if the seats might be too low for an old retired couple but it's worth a look.
I've actually been looking to trade the HS, not for any other reason than I like to buy cars. It's an expensive addiction. Keep in mind that other than the company decision to kill off the HS in America, and a couple local dealer issues, the HS has been on of my most trouble free, enjoyable cars. And I've had a few.

I have decided to go a little bit deeper into the hybrid class of cars, and go with a plug-in hybrid. Along with the level 2 charger on the wall and everything else.

I really like the BWW 330e. It's expensive, but then again the Volt that I looked at was $43,000. Will it get better overall mileage than the HS, with a range of about 15 or 20 miles in EV mode? Not sure, but with the super low electrical rates in my area, it might have a lower cost of ownership than a comparable luxury car.

The Encore? You might really like it. It's been trouble free, unlike most other GM's. I guess because it's a German Opel made in Korea. It's one of the most luxurious little CUV's in that class, and with the Bose noise reduction, it also one of the quietest. I am averaging about 28-30, and about 35 on a trip. It's easy to get in and out of (when your back is hurting) and easy to load the hatch. The Mazda CX-3 has that high hatch that's harder to load.

Even though it's a Buick (poor man's Cadillac), it has the typical GM engineering goofiness. So coming from a Lexus, where everything has been engineered to perfection, you'll pick up on the quirks, and say " what were they thinking?". But then I still like it, along with the Crosstrek XV too.
Old 02-12-17, 06:04 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

I just watched the "Alex on Autos" review of the Crosstrek with the Eyesight system and it does look especially good for the price. He said it is a bit noisy but has a great ride quality. My list also includes the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited with the Ultimate Package because it looks great, gets 41mpg, and has a 40/60 fold down rear seat. I would like to hear about the quirks of the Encore, I also read that some people have trouble with the MacPherson struts making noises after a year or so. My goto reviews are Alex on Autos, Consumer Reports, CNET, and the KBB owners reviews for long term satisfaction with a car model. By the way Consumer Reports gave the new Honda Civic a low reliability rating because of many problems with the new high tech Honda sensing.
Old 02-13-17, 08:01 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

I just watched the "Alex on Autos" review of the Crosstrek with the Eyesight system and it does look especially good for the price. He said it is a bit noisy but has a great ride quality. My list also includes the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited with the Ultimate Package because it looks great, gets 41mpg, and has a 40/60 fold down rear seat. I would like to hear about the quirks of the Encore, I also read that some people have trouble with the MacPherson struts making noises after a year or so. My goto reviews are Alex on Autos, Consumer Reports, CNET, and the KBB owners reviews for long term satisfaction with a car model. By the way Consumer Reports gave the new Honda Civic a low reliability rating because of many problems with the new high tech Honda sensing.
"Eyesight" on the Subaru is amazing. You just can't know until you have experienced it. And on a car of that price category. It is kind of noisy, but it's mostly that boxer engine. In fact, I can't remember a more noisy engine. But then again, it built like a tractor engine and will last forever.

Encore quirks? It got a few, but you learn to live with them because the good traits outweigh the bad. One I can think of, that I just dealt with is, you can't raise the windshield wipers off the windshield to clean the snow under them because they hit the edge of the hood.

I liked the Sonata Plug-in too. It is only sold in the 10 or 13 states with the zero emissions programs like California. Here in Hoopie-ville (Pittsburgh) it is not sold. I also just found out the Mercedes C350e will not be sold in Dodge Ram country (Pittsburgh) either.

I just looked at the Audi A3 e-tron, and found it to be a really nice car but it has no heads-up display. I talked to a guy that said if he babied it, and ran in EV mode as much as possible, and plugged in, he got close to 100 mpg !!!!!
Old 02-13-17, 08:14 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Also another quirk might be, and front center armrest that is only big enough for the driver. The front passenger has no armrest.

And if you're still interested in a car in the Encore class, don't forget to check the Mazda CX-3.

Forget the Chevy Trax. It's a stripped down Encore without the option level you can get in the Buick.
Old 02-17-17, 05:52 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

I have a new favorite on my list, the 2017 Honda CRV EX with AWD. It has cloth upholstery, a large interior and cargo area with flat floor, 29mpg which is okay, and the Honda Sensing which covers all my high tech requirements (I read that Honda Sensing is now working fine after some initial software problems). With Apple Carplay and Android built in, your phone becomes the head unit for navigation which works better than the built in units. It also has active sound cancellation like the Buick Encore so that should take care of road noise. The Adaptive Cruise Control is pretty amazing because the car can stop and start over and over in traffic without any driver input. I will go for a test drive late in the year and see if I might want one for around $28,000.
By the way, my HS250h is going in for the rear control arm replacement recall and the fuel pump recall next week so I have go now and drive to get the tank below 1/4th full. Have a great weekend!
Old 02-23-17, 10:39 PM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded in my hs 250 for a 2016 GS 350. Big difference day and night!
Old 03-14-17, 08:34 PM
richrf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of looking right now. I only have 30,000 miles on my 2010 but I am so disappointed with the persistent recalls, the impotent customer service, and the poor dealer service in my area (it was much better in my previous location) that I decided I have to move on. I'll go back to old reliable Honda but not sure which model yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When you trade the HS250 what will you buy?