HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Change Your Transmission Fluid NOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 09:51 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dark chocolate cvt fluid at 68k miles

I just change my cvt fluid today and it looks really bad at 68k miles. Toyota dealer charges $9 for ws fluid and $1.25 for each 18mm washer. The process is really simple but I had to buy a 6ft hose to snake down the fill hole.

Thanks OP for his advocate. I wanted to wait until 100k miles but a friend of mine who has a Prius convinces me to change it. He said there is no such thing as lifetime fluid. Change your fluid, $42 and 30 minutes of your time.
Old 01-09-16, 11:15 PM
rfclexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Failure Check Hybrid System

I bought this used from CAR max with 43000 miles luckily I purchased the extended warranty.
At a little over 103000 miles on my Lexus HS250H the system shut down on the freeway.
Check Hybrid System is what came on. I shut the power button off then restarted and the car ran just fine. Since my warranty allowed me to go directly to Lexus I did. Lexus of Riverside was very helpful. They gave me a loner car whale they evaluated mine. After three days of evaluations they determined the transmission was the problem. They never indicated the real root cause for the failure but the total cost was $4800 to replace MAXCARE took care of the bill which was more then twice what I paid for the warranty.
If you are questioning PM on your transmission I would do it .
I was lucky
Old 08-08-17, 12:26 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Bring back old post. You should change your HS250 ATF fluid at 30k miles interval. I changed my fluid yesterday at 96k miles for my 100k preventive service, and the fluid looked like dark syrup even I had changed it at 68k miles. Put in 3.75 qts and my HS shifts so smooth again. I'm not buying the lifetime fluid deal since I want to keep my car longer.

My 100k service includes new NGK spark plugs, ATF, coolants for both engine and inverter, and brake fluid flush at local Toyota dealer. Everything is easy to work on if you are DIY person.
Old 06-22-18, 09:27 PM
NikolayM
Driver School Candidate

Default Where located the Fill/Level plug on the transmission.

Hi, one of the cooler hoses got damaged and my hs250h lost some transmission fluid. Could anybody tell me where the fill plug located on the transmission so I can fill up the transmission fluid. And I have another question: does this car need different fluid for the differential? Thanks!
Old 06-23-18, 06:46 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NikolayM
Hi, one of the cooler hoses got damaged and my hs250h lost some transmission fluid. Could anybody tell me where the fill plug located on the transmission so I can fill up the transmission fluid. And I have another question: does this car need different fluid for the differential? Thanks!
NikolayM. All the information you need is in this thread. Just scroll up.....I believe the video above is showing a Prius but the HS is either exactly the same or close enough to get the job done.
Old 06-23-18, 06:47 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

....oh, there is no separate differential.
Old 06-23-18, 10:01 PM
NikolayM
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by colenzae

....oh, there is no separate differential.
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I was not sure if I need different fluid for the differential. I went to Lexus dealership and they assured me that HS250H does not have a separate differential, so I bought ATF WS and replaced it successfully today. The video at the beginning of this thread is very helpful too.
Old 06-24-18, 09:41 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I was not sure if I need different fluid for the differential. I went to Lexus dealership and they assured me that HS250H does not have a separate differential, so I bought ATF WS and replaced it successfully today. The video at the beginning of this thread is very helpful too.
Don't believe the dealer!!!! They ASSURED ME that the transmission in my HS250 was a sealed unit and the fluid was for life and could not be changed. BS!!!!! That caused me to wait until someone in this forum posted a PDF of the transmission showing the drain and fill plugs. Then I changed it immediately. They want your transmission to fail so you buy a new car. Bastards.
Old 06-26-18, 06:37 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Please tone down the unsubstantiated accusations about Lexus. There's no evidence they are "out to get you" or force you to buy a new car. Lexus takes tons of pride in being the most reliable brand out there. Toyota made a decision long ago to seal this tranny when it first came out on the Prius in 2001, and for all these years these trannies get "well above average" reliability ratings from owners. Unless your definition of "wanting it to fail so you buy a new car" is after 2 decades of service?

"seal" doesn't mean it doesn't have a fill port or drain plug - those are needed to do maintenance inside the tranny if ever needed. But you'll notice in these DIY videos that they are hard to open first time, because Toyota has applied some Loctite to them as they are not meant to be opened routinely.

Change your tranny fluid all you want, but please leave the hype out of this forum. There's absolutely no evidence that these trannies are failing because of old fluid. Folks are just making wild predictions based on experience with conventional transmissions and the color of fluid coming out when they change it. And for those that have already changed it once, and see it dirty again quickly, did you ever consider that by unsealing it before, you've introduced the dirt yourself? Or maybe the fluid is sensitive to humidity, and by filling it in your garage rather than in a controlled environment at the factory, you've shortened it's life. Maybe you've just created a new preventative maintenance requirement where there was no need for one before you unsealed it.
Old 06-26-18, 07:42 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Please tone down the unsubstantiated accusations about Lexus. There's no evidence they are "out to get you" or force you to buy a new car. Lexus takes tons of pride in being the most reliable brand out there. Toyota made a decision long ago to seal this tranny when it first came out on the Prius in 2001, and for all these years these trannies get "well above average" reliability ratings from owners. Unless your definition of "wanting it to fail so you buy a new car" is after 2 decades of service?

"seal" doesn't mean it doesn't have a fill port or drain plug - those are needed to do maintenance inside the tranny if ever needed. But you'll notice in these DIY videos that they are hard to open first time, because Toyota has applied some Loctite to them as they are not meant to be opened routinely.

Change your tranny fluid all you want, but please leave the hype out of this forum. There's absolutely no evidence that these trannies are failing because of old fluid. Folks are just making wild predictions based on experience with conventional transmissions and the color of fluid coming out when they change it. And for those that have already changed it once, and see it dirty again quickly, did you ever consider that by unsealing it before, you've introduced the dirt yourself? Or maybe the fluid is sensitive to humidity, and by filling it in your garage rather than in a controlled environment at the factory, you've shortened it's life. Maybe you've just created a new preventative maintenance requirement where there was no need for one before you unsealed it.
You've got to be kidding me. I guess your a Toyota stock holder?? Don't take my quote so literally. And yes, as a matter of fact I regularly add dirt to the tranny when I change my fluid. You are reaching!!!! I was just absolutely furious that Lexus would flat out lie to a customer. If they had said something like "well, the fluid is designed to last the life of the transmission, but we can change it for you if you like" that would have been an entirely different scenario. I don't like being lied to, especially when it comes to a $50,000 investment. And what else would "sealed" mean? Yes it's sealed, except for the drain and fill plugs ?!?!
Old 06-27-18, 05:04 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Go to pretty much any Lexus or Toyota dealer and they will say the same thing, that the tranny is "sealed". I haven't personally seen their service manuals (maybe another member of the forum has them and can chime in?) but to me that indicates the manual states that and they are just relaying that to you. The service manager has no clue about engineering decisions made in Japan and just has to go by what's in the book. Maybe they aren't allowed to touch something that the manual states is sealed, for whatever reason, hence the "can't change it" statement. And I already explained that "sealed" can still have drain and fill plugs, when loctitie is used. They have to fill it somehow at the factory after they build it.

So no one is lying to you. You may disagree with Toyota's policy of sealing the tranny and calling their fluid "lifetime", but that's very different than them lying to you.