Search this Thread

Old 09-13-14, 08:26 AM
luke77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Dashcam's and Installation..

9/13/2014

Hey Everyone,

I know this is not about the battery, which I am glad to know about now just incase. I do have a question and hope someone has bought one of these and even installed it. I am seriously thinking about buying a Dashcam like this one:

Blackvue DR750LW-2CH Full HD+Full HD 16GB Wi-Fi 4"LCD Touchscreen, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder - 16GB + External GPS

I can get this from Amazon.com. My only thing is not only do I not know how to install it but I need to know if it is safe. Will it burn out my fuse box and set my car on fire? Also, I live in Geneva IL and looking for a professional shop/dealership etc. to install it. Really need some advise guys and I know this is the place to go. Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

All the Best,
Luke
Old 09-21-14, 11:52 AM
photomikey
Driver School Candidate

There are better rated and better selling units on Amazon for less money (way less money). Unless you are some kind of CSI investigator, you don't need playback ability, just record ability - if you get in an accident or terrorized or something, just take your SD card home with you and play it back.

These things take switched 12V power into the unit. This is the same power that comes out of your cigarette lighter. You can just plug it in, or pay someone (car stereo installer, dealer, random guy off craigslist) to run it behind the dash.

It would be virtually impossible to start your car on fire with this (or any similar) unit.
Old 09-23-14, 08:35 AM
luke77
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks photomikey,

That is reassuring to know. The Blackvue that I was talking about is not only a Dashcam but it is also a security camera 24/7 that I can view from my smartphone to monitor my car and even my driveway, house, etc. so It maybe well worth the extra bucks. I just have to find someone to install it in my area, I donkt trust the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy, to much bad reviews. Any suggestions in my 60134 area?

Thanks again,
luke

Originally Posted by photomikey
There are better rated and better selling units on Amazon for less money (way less money). Unless you are some kind of CSI investigator, you don't need playback ability, just record ability - if you get in an accident or terrorized or something, just take your SD card home with you and play it back.

These things take switched 12V power into the unit. This is the same power that comes out of your cigarette lighter. You can just plug it in, or pay someone (car stereo installer, dealer, random guy off craigslist) to run it behind the dash.

It would be virtually impossible to start your car on fire with this (or any similar) unit.
Old 12-26-14, 05:58 PM
dnwin
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious how this went?