HS future maintenance and parts cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 08:22 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts
Default HS future maintenance and parts cost

Hi gang

Anyone have an idea how accessible the parts will be in the future for the HS ? I am thinking of buying the HS and I heard stories Lexus is only legally required to carry parts for 13 yrs on any discontinued model . Also if the regular battery goes out , it has to be replaced at lexus and the cost is $400 :0

Wow , what do you guys think ?
Old 08-27-14, 11:46 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Hi gang

Anyone have an idea how accessible the parts will be in the future for the HS ? I am thinking of buying the HS and I heard stories Lexus is only legally required to carry parts for 13 yrs on any discontinued model . Also if the regular battery goes out , it has to be replaced at lexus and the cost is $400 :0

Wow , what do you guys think ?
The 12 volt battery is the same as a Toyota Camry Hybrid. My Toyota dealer usually sells them for just under $300. Usually, they have coupon offers and free installation. I have made a rare sightings of 12 volt gel cell batteries, similar to what is used in our Lexus' and the Camry Hybrid, in my local NAPA on occasion. The last time I checked, it was $200 with a five year warranty. I spoke to my local Toyota dealer, and they say the 12 volt battery used in a Prius generally has a ten year lifespan. None of the Camry Hybrids they serviced have required a new 12 volt battery due to age. A couple have been changed due to botched jump starting techniques.

As for HS250h part availability, the HS250 uses the drivetrain from a 2010-2011 Camry Hybrid as well as many parts from a Prius. Finally, compared to other automakers, Toyota is one of the best companies when it comes to supporting legacy vehicles. My neighbour has 1991 Lexus L400 (Gen 1 - XF10) and has little difficulty obtaining replacement parts for his vehicle. After 300,000, the only unscheduled repairs his car has had are an A/C compressor and a waterpump. If our HS250h's are anywhere near that reliable, procuring spare parts shouldn't be an issues. Then there are all of those late 1980's Camry's that visit my local Toyota dealership for service. The dealership is still able to get parts well after the manufacturer's mandatory parts support period has expired.

Last edited by 850R; 08-28-14 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-30-14, 09:54 AM
luke77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8/30/2014

Hey Everyone,

I know this is not about the battery, which I am glad to know about now just incase. I do have a question and hope someone has bought one of these and even installed it. I am seriously thinking about buying a Dashcam like this one:

Blackvue DR750LW-2CH Full HD+Full HD 16GB Wi-Fi 4"LCD Touchscreen, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder - 16GB + External GPS

I can get this from Amazon.com. My only thing is not only do I not know how to install it but I need to know if it is safe. Will it burn out my fuse box and set my car on fire? Also, I live in Geneva IL and looking for a professional shop/dealership etc. to install it. Really need some advise guys and I know this is the place to go. Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

All the Best,
Luke
Old 09-06-14, 09:53 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by luke77
8/30/2014

Hey Everyone,

I know this is not about the battery, which I am glad to know about now just incase. I do have a question and hope someone has bought one of these and even installed it. I am seriously thinking about buying a Dashcam like this one:

Blackvue DR750LW-2CH Full HD+Full HD 16GB Wi-Fi 4"LCD Touchscreen, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder - 16GB + External GPS

I can get this from Amazon.com. My only thing is not only do I not know how to install it but I need to know if it is safe. Will it burn out my fuse box and set my car on fire? Also, I live in Geneva IL and looking for a professional shop/dealership etc. to install it. Really need some advise guys and I know this is the place to go. Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

All the Best,
Luke
I'm not into those dash cams but I use my Nikon S9500 P&S camera as my dash cam and the quality is awesome. I bought a camera mount on amazon called panavise and stick it on my windshield. The Nikon has built-in GPS, anti vibration and high quality len. Just another option
Old 09-10-14, 08:51 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tons of parts available for the HS, because it is still made and widely sought after, to this day, in Japan. And if Lexus of Japan has the parts, they can get them here.

My old BMW dealer could still get factory parts for a 2002, so I wouldn't worry about the HS just yet.

Many, many aftermarket JDM parts available too. So much, you could melt your credit card and your wallet.
Old 09-13-14, 08:15 AM
luke77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashcam's

Originally Posted by GS300ken
I'm not into those dash cams but I use my Nikon S9500 P&S camera as my dash cam and the quality is awesome. I bought a camera mount on amazon called panavise and stick it on my windshield. The Nikon has built-in GPS, anti vibration and high quality len. Just another option
Thanks GS300ken

I did something like this with my Samsung 3 in the windshield and it worked but nothing like what the dashcam I want can do. Just donkt have a clue how to install and hoping here someone knew of a installer around Geneva IL who could do it pro. Thanks for your reply.

luke