HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Disable DRL

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 09:12 PM
homoonar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable DRL

Recently I have been thinking of a conversion of DRL from my high beam location down to my fog light.
As shown below, I have already changed the fog light to an LED at 5000k color temperature.

After a little investigation, I have found a relay [DIM/DRL] in the fuse box inside the engine bay compartment on the driver side. (mine is a Canadian car, so the DIM/DRL fuse is green. I believe cars from USA have blue relay and is labeled DIM only, correct me if I am wrong.)

I pulled the relay hoping the high beam would still work, but it does not. Without the relay would basically cut power to all high beam and DRL. Thus, I quickly plug it back in after taking a few pictures. As shown below, there is the relay pins and part number.

]

I have labeled what each pin does based on a little research from another forum for Scion; specifically from link below post #103; I am unsure if these information is correct; much would be appreciated if you guys could please confirm
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/show...=221257&page=6

Here is a question for you guys who may be more experienced with relays. My current plan is to find an exeact same relay from a junk yard and cut the Pin with DRL output. Would i instantly disable my DRL? would there be any negative effect such as error message in the long run? What is the best way to get power from the 6V DRL pin to my Fog?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-14, 04:56 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting thread.

My thoughts are that there would be no error message shown if you just cut the pin for the DRL. But sadly Canadian cars and your government are much stricker on their usage.

In the US car, I can just turn off my DRL in the vehicle config menu.

I would guess the thread at Scionlife is correct. I'm a member there too, and those guys are super modders.

I'm wondering if you just cut the output wire from the DRL pin on the otherside of the relay and ran it to the positive input wire to the fogs? Of course if you did that, your fogs might only work as dimmed versions of the original and would never work through the original fog light switch.

Keep posting and "mod on"

Last edited by TheAirman; 06-30-14 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling