HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Help! My seats are peeling!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 06:36 PM
lexusinlou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My seats are peeling!

Here's one I hope someone can help me out with...

My 5 week old HS has a flaking passenger seat. A few days after I bought it, my wife noticed some black flakes on her white coat after riding in my car. She suggested it was my seat and I told her "no way!". Well, upon close examination of the seat, I found out she was right (I hate that!). I remembered on the Certification inspection papers there was something written down about the bolsters on the passenger seat. There must have been a rip or tear, I suspect. Apparently, whatever they used to repair the leather is flaking off like cheap spray paint does if you spray it on plastic. It actually looks like what happens to your skin after a bad sunburn. I've taken the car back once, they "fixed" it and everything seemed fine until the other day. My God...I checked the seat out and it's 10X worse than it was before and now it's down on the "butt" part of the seat as well as the bolster. It's flaking off all along the entire right side of the seat. It's kinda embarrassing to have anyone ride with me. C'mon...a $45K car with flaky seats? Whatever they attempted to do obviously didn't (and won't) work. Couldn't they or shouldn't they just replace the whole seat under the certification process???
Old 02-23-14, 02:55 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds likes someone did a fast repair to make it look good for the sale. Kinda like oatmeal in the transmission or pennies behind the brake shoes!!

Keep us posted on what you find because I noticed no matter how much Lexol I use, I noticed cracking on the left bolster where I slide getting in and out.
Old 02-28-14, 04:01 PM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

That sucks! I would be mad as heck! Sorry
Old 03-06-14, 04:27 PM
lexusinlou
Driver School Candidate

Okay...on this trip to the dealer, they took care of my peeling seat. So far (after about 2 weeks) it is holding up well without any signs of flaking again. Honestly, you can't even tell there was ever anything wrong with the seat and they've never really told me why the seats needed cosmetic repair in the first place (other than a notation on the certification papers that said, "bolster").

How are everybody else's seats holding out? This type of leather seems kinda delicate compared to what was in my BMW. I like it but I'm afraid it's not going to withstand the test of time. I've got some moderate creasing on the left side of the driver's seat but nothing serious (yet).

In the meantime, I will continue to monitor the passenger seat and report back if it flakes again.
Old 03-06-14, 04:52 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have the standard seats or the perforated ones in the Premium model? I'm not too rough on my seats, and my 2010 HS is garage kept, but it does sit out in the sun 5 days a week at work, and so far the perforated seats (tan color) seem to be holding up great. I had some staining happening on the driver seat from my pants belt the first year, but the dealer cleaned it and treated it with something, and I bought a new belt, and haven't had a problem since. I did get a loaner HS once, with the non-premium seats, and I did think that leather was kind of hard.