HS 250h Model (2010-2012)
View Poll Results: What should happen to the HS?
Keep the HS250h
33.33%
Downgrade to the HS200h
3.03%
Upgrade to the HS300h
9.09%
Kill the HS250h
54.55%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

With the CT and ES-h, what happens to the HS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 11:59 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the ES hybrid will do just fine. The RX hybrid does well. Since the ES is a very popular model expanding the ES line with a hybrid was just the next step forward. Many people are familiar with the ES so the ES hybrid will do much better than the HS hybrid.

It's ashame the HS didn't take off for many reasons. One, it was styled quirky; two, the marketing wasn't great; three, the price point was a little to high for a brand new model; three, Lexus could have put more advanced technology into it, etc., etc...
Old 04-29-12, 06:05 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I think the ES hybrid will do just fine. The RX hybrid does well. Since the ES is a very popular model expanding the ES line with a hybrid was just the next step forward. Many people are familiar with the ES so the ES hybrid will do much better than the HS hybrid.

It's ashame the HS didn't take off for many reasons. One, it was styled quirky; two, the marketing wasn't great; three, the price point was a little to high for a brand new model; three, Lexus could have put more advanced technology into it, etc., etc...
Agreed.

Bottom line is, American car buyers are a odd bunch, as we have become a nation of truck drivers, and now I fear that the Chinese will influence our car buying choices even more as they have become the worlds largest growing market.

So it's very hard to predict just how any car or make will sell. Just look at Chrysler.

But it sure is fun to guess, isn't it????
Old 04-30-12, 08:54 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ES Hybrid - how it panned out in my family

When I announced to my family -
you know when we bought our Lexus, we test drove 2 cars, one we bought and the other one (ES) - they're going to make a Hybrid version of that car
My 9 year old daughter reacted - "Darn!"
Anyways - with many scratches on my beloved HS (more than I had on my previous Camry), and with the new of ES Hybrid already announced, my wife said that may be this car is jinxed, you should replace it
With the "pre approval" in hand, I was on ES300h site same evening very seriously thinking that I may have to pay a grand or 2 more for this newly released car (compared to if I were to wait to 6-8 months).
Things looked nice - attractive grille, longer and wider car with more room.
However, when I looked at the interior, I was turned off -
- no cockpit style driver's seat,
- a run of the mill display which is fixed (doesn't pop up),
- a run of the mill gear (not the next gen like HS)
- mouse at the lower level (not at higher level to match when you're at computer)
- not sure if the display will show the hybrid mechanics in real time or not.
These are the things that make HS distinctive - and you get reaction like "your space ship". In my opinion, HS was the one which started the EV, ECO,Normal and Power modes - I saw it on Honda CR-Z and then it was brought in GS next.
Well - I'm just going to take my car to body shop and get the scratches repaired - I'm NOT looking forward to ES Hybrid, at least at this time.
Old 04-30-12, 06:09 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

One of the reasons I went with the HS instead of the Camry or the Lincoln MKZ.
Old 05-01-12, 08:25 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe HS should change to a IS-h! I tried the HS as I was given it as a loner car but did not liked how it drives, even thou the "spaceship" like interior did look kind of catchy.

I driven the CT, I was much more impressed with how it drove, but I would stll ilke my IS. IS-h, possibly something of interest if they make something like that.
Old 05-01-12, 09:53 AM
ntrainer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sango, the HS and IS are completely, totally different vehicles for different markets. This is mainly because the IS has such a cramped back seat that (IMO) they ought to just make it a 2-door and call it a day. The IS is a lovely-looking car... but adults of normal size (and kids over 5 years of age) basically can't ride in the back for any length of time comfortably. The HS, on the other hand, has a back seat that definitely makes it more of a "family car." Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't haul my kids cross-country in the HS, given that it has limited trunk space, so it's no station wagon or minivan! But, on the other hand, those of us with older kids probably wouldn't even consider the IS, unless it was a car bought SOLELY for the adults in the household. (And, in this day and age, I can't imagine many households of 3-4 buying a car in which they simply cannot tote their kids... We're not just made of money, ya' know!)

You should definitely consider the CT as a more relevant comparable to the IS; it also has little room in the back seat, though more than the IS.

None of this really speaks to how the HS drives, really. Overall, the vehicle just probably is not the best "fit" for you... Still, I find it interesting you didn't like how the HS drives. It's definitely more powered than the CT. Personally I haven't driven the CT but I've seen comments on the CT forums that some find the car a bit under-powered. Better than the Prius, to be sure, but not as smooth as the HS. Of course, as an HS driver myself, I may be biased.

Last edited by ntrainer; 05-01-12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-01-12, 01:18 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sango
....... I tried the HS as I was given it as a loner car but did not liked how it drives,........
I'd love to hear your opinion if you get a chance to get HS as a loner again and put the car in ""Power" mode. (I live far from any dealer and usually wait for my servicing).
Even though I rarely drive the car in this mode, I feel that the car has good amount of muscle in this mode.
In my observation, Lexus has configured the feedback from the accelerator in such a way that in ECO mode, it is rather hard to press on it (besides other things like fuel mix, amount of fuel feed to the engine and how the engine goes thru revs) . This changes once I put the car in Power mode, it's a lot softer to press on the accelerator and the engine behaves entirely differently too.
Old 05-01-12, 02:55 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Looking at the HSh's sales:

YTD 2009 6,699
YTD 2010 10,663
YTD 2011 2,863
Jan - Mar 2012 563

If one were to annualize 2012 sales of the HSh it would come out to about 2,252. It appears the HSh is slowing down in sales. If Lexus just did some minor tweaks to the styling, upgrade the hybrid engine and price it competitively I think Lexus could have a hit.
2012 April sales results just came out. Lexus only sold 28 HS 250h for the month of April which now brings the January through April 2012 total sales to 591. If one were to annualize 2012 it would come out to 1,173. Wow the HSh is dying...
Old 05-01-12, 08:03 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rajeev6
I'd love to hear your opinion if you get a chance to get HS as a loner again and put the car in ""Power" mode. (I live far from any dealer and usually wait for my servicing).
Even though I rarely drive the car in this mode, I feel that the car has good amount of muscle in this mode.
In my observation, Lexus has configured the feedback from the accelerator in such a way that in ECO mode, it is rather hard to press on it (besides other things like fuel mix, amount of fuel feed to the engine and how the engine goes thru revs) . This changes once I put the car in Power mode, it's a lot softer to press on the accelerator and the engine behaves entirely differently too.
I tried all modes for the fun of it but the car did not quite feel like my way of driving. One thing I did not like which got my attention was that that the HS overspins the front tires too easily going out of a drive way trying to accelerate, it would literally over spin the tires very easily trying to accelerate. I did not have this problem with ES, CT or IS going off the same drive way.

Driving a CT however, that differnet and much better experence. Liked the way it felt and tried the power modes on it as well. I wish they had the F-Sport model for a loaner.
Old 05-01-12, 08:30 PM
LexFather

HS production has stopped for the US market

Originally Posted by DDS62
I have no idea how the CT can be priced so low,
Margins...Lexus dealer makes much less on the CT than any other Lexus as the Yen is strong and they priced it aggressively.

The HS is NOT cheap it starts at 37k and simply does not scream value. There is a market and niche for it but it is VERY small, people that want good MPG, tons of technology in a not to big not to small package. I don't think the looks helped either. My family member loves theirs and raves about it all the time there just isn't enough of them.

I have yet to see a Touring model the one with the nice two tone leather and sport suspension.

Honestly I am almost thinking they sent the HS to help bump sales here or things would have been ever worse than they were the last couple of years.

Or make the HS a coupe. Why ANOTHER sedan.
Old 05-02-12, 07:45 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

I tried all modes for the fun of it but the car did not quite feel like my way of driving. One thing I did not like which got my attention was that that the HS overspins the front tires too easily going out of a drive way trying to accelerate, it would literally over spin the tires very easily trying to accelerate. I did not have this problem with ES, CT or IS going off the same drive way.
Hmm! Interesting.
Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-02-12, 06:19 PM
jbripps
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I have yet to see a Touring model the one with the nice two tone leather and sport suspension.
I have the touring model with two tone and sport suspension!! LOVE IT!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails With the CT and ES-h, what happens to the HS?-seats.jpg  
Old 05-04-12, 04:34 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbripps
I have the touring model with two tone and sport suspension!! LOVE IT!!!!!
Sweet !!!

I think another poster has has one also.

And speaking of low sales, I saw my first Yukon Hybrid today !!
Old 05-06-12, 10:39 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Driving a CT however, that differnet and much better experence. Liked the way it felt and tried the power modes on it as well. I wish they had the F-Sport model for a loaner.
The IS doesn't spin the front wheels because it's RWD :-)

And the CT is too underpowered to burn rubber. The ES should have plenty of power; maybe the nanny electronics are too aggressive.

BTW, the power mode on the HS really doesn't do anything but make the gas pedal more sensitive - it doesn't boost HP or torque. So it will feel sportier, but won't improve 0-60 times.
Old 06-04-12, 02:07 PM
efgpa
Driver School Candidate

Default What about used?

OK guys, so I've got an option to buy a 2010 HS250h with all the options, including the adaptive cruise (for which I am fanatical, and wouldn't buy a car without) for $28,000.00, BUT with 66k miles!

My thought is that if new at around $45,00.00, no way.

I seek a car with good gas milage (at least 35mpg) and adaptive cruise.

But when I compare what else I could buy new (the Prius at $35K, Ford Focus $28K w/o adaptive cruise, Ford Focus w adaptive at $35k), maybe the HS has finally found it's niche buyer.

Any opinions?

By the way, I assume you guys own this car. Any opinions on getting a cancelled vehice serviced?

Quick Reply: With the CT and ES-h, what happens to the HS?