HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

My First 3 Weeks in the HS

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 12:11 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile My First 3 Weeks in the HS

I've now had my little red HS for 3 weeks, logged 425 miles, and couldn't be happier. This is my third and absolutely best hybrid*.

*In 2007 I bought a new Toyota Camry Hybrid and traded it for a new Prius after 2 weeks; I then traded the Prius a week later for my recent '08 RX350. Even though I lost gobs of money trading cars so soon after purchase (and had to give up those early hybrid tax credits), the Camry and Prius simply weren't up to Lexus standards; both driver's seats had a center seam in the leather that killed my tailbone, and the dorky Prius made me feel like I was wearing orthopedic shoes. In the end (no pun intended), I've been spoiled by Lexus since my '92 SC, and I just can't go backwards anymore.

Although I've tried not to "gun it" as much as I normally like to do at stoplights and highway entrance ramps, my overall mileage since delivery stands at 35.3 mpg as of this morning. I'm sure I could do better if I employed the "Eco" mode or concentrated on more coasting...which I will do if there's yet another uprising in the Middle East. 99% of my driving has been around town; compared to the premium-fueled and 17-mpg RX350 I just traded-in, I now feel free to make as many short trips as I want to; plus, this car is just fun to drive.

The main difference in the HS and all my previous Lexi is a rougher ride than I'm used to. I know this is due to tire inflation for mileage's sake, and I've become adjusted to it. (I used to under-inflate the RX350 tires just a bit, to keep the ride smooth...which wore out my tires faster and probably didn't help the mileage either.)

Best things about this car?

1. Power. If you DO need power to either get out of the way or merge onto a highway, the HS has plenty to give -- and I haven't even tried using the Power Mode yet. Considering the small engine and electric motor, it's pretty amazing, and a comfort when you're driving amongst so many cell-phoning and/or texting idiots who don't notice other cars, nor use turn signals to change lanes; sometimes you just need POWER to get the hell outta the way, and punching the HS pedal will deliver you from evil.

2. Gadgets. Yep, I'm a geek (database admin) and I love the technology in this car. My favorite is how the sound system automatically streams iTunes playlists from my iPhone (which stays in my pants pocket; I don't even need to connect it via USB). Amazing.

3. Navigation. Praise the Nav Gods, Lexus has finally come up with a system that is easy to understand and use. [My RX nav was a royal b***h; she almost convinced me to drive into the marshes on a pitch-black night as we followed her mapped route near Holden Beach NC, where she suddenly told me "Your navigation has ended" or some such garbage. Completely lost. Never trusted it again...and my female companion from that night still loves to tease me and tell the hilarious story at parties. "He paid an extra $2,000 for that fancy navigation thing and we almost drowned!" And no, I don't laugh.]

4. iPhone connectivity. Praise the Cellphone Gods, this Lexus imported my entire Contacts file in about 30 seconds (over 150 people/phone numbers). I trust it does just as well for 'Berries and other smartphones.

5. Smooth ICE transition. You barely feel it when the ICE engages...just a slight shudder through the accelerator pedal. Much less noticeable than the Camry Hybrid and Prius. And the Lexus soundproofing may have something to do with it too.

Things that don't work well?

1. Voice-dialing the phone. I don't know whether it's my Southern accent, or just my speaking voice...but she just doesn't understand me when I try voice-dialing. Voice recog works for other functions, but not for phoning. I've shouted, spoken softly, and in-between, but still no deal. My Lexus salesman demo-ed the voice-dialing for me, she understood his dial commands, but she sure doesn't like mine. Sometimes she even says "Excuse me?" Oh well, maybe I do sound like Larry the Cable Guy; I'll keep practicing.

2. (Hmm, can't think of anything else!)

So, I'm once again a happy Lexus customer...with a comfy (and air-cooled) butt! As with all these subjective comments we make about our cars, this is just my $.02 -- your mileage may vary.
Attached Thumbnails My First 3 Weeks in the HS-lexus-hs-rear2.jpg   My First 3 Weeks in the HS-lexus-hs-interior.jpg   My First 3 Weeks in the HS-lexus-hs-front-view-camera.jpg   My First 3 Weeks in the HS-lexus-hs-console.jpg   My First 3 Weeks in the HS-lexus-hs-front1.jpg  

Old 09-15-11, 07:29 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love your min-review. Entertaining and fun and worth reading for the facts and good stuff too. Thanks!
Old 11-12-11, 05:58 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for your review and congratulations on getting the HS 250h...I love the matador red color...
Old 11-12-11, 07:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear you're super happy.

You gotta love that feeling!
Old 11-14-11, 07:58 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats on the new wheels and welcome to the HS forum!
Old 11-20-11, 03:06 PM
chryssa
Driver School Candidate

So happy to read your post. I just purchased a red 2010 250h LX today. I have owned it 3 hours. I went thru my fear of whether it was an impulse purchase or not. But I had to get out of my 2007 Prius which I have hated for about a year. I am so happy to be in my 3rd LX. I almost had a melt down when the dealer presented me a $3500 warranty package. I am not a warranty girl so when he went through the list of why I should purchase one, I got up to leave. Any thoughts?
Old 11-22-11, 09:42 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Was that a warranty or a prepaid maintenance package? They presented me something like that, but it was prepaying all the maintenance for 3 or 4 years. Paying that locks you into doing all your service with them - including all the in-between-oil-changes that cost $100 for nothing more than rotating tires and "checking" everything.

I declined. What if you decide to sell the car in a year, move, or have a bad experience with their service department?
Old 12-05-11, 10:59 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Was that a warranty or a prepaid maintenance package? They presented me something like that, but it was prepaying all the maintenance for 3 or 4 years. Paying that locks you into doing all your service with them - including all the in-between-oil-changes that cost $100 for nothing more than rotating tires and "checking" everything.

I declined. What if you decide to sell the car in a year, move, or have a bad experience with their service department?
If you sell your car the prepaid maintenance is transferable or you can get a refund for the prorated amount left on the prepaid maintenance paid.
Old 12-05-11, 03:11 PM
acheparev
Driver

It has got to be your accent. I only use voice dialing and it understands me 99% of the time. But I have my address book set up with full names (First and Last) and when I say the name, I read the full name. I think using first and last name reduces the margin of error since it has something more unique to reference than when it's trying to figure out if you said Jake, Jane, John, etc.

BTW, you can either say "Call" or "Dial". I think it recognizes Call easier then Dial.