Hello and Bye!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 09:19 PM
Hellobye71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and Bye!

Hello Everyone!

This past weekend, my 2010 HS-250h saved my life. I was turning on a green arrow when out of nowhere a car slammed me to the side (see pics). I am afraid my HS had used up it's useful life and I am moving on to another Lexus. My first message is, no matter how safe a driver you are, keep trying to get better at it because it's dangerous to drive anywhere out there.

I am OK nontheless. I can't walk fast right now but I have no broken bones, 'just have sore lower left leg caused by the impact from the front bumber of the other vehicle that came toward me at more than ten miles over the speed limit of 45. I got T-Boned pretty good and I didn't feel like eating meat the past few days.

My message is you made the right decision in buying the HS. Had I been driving my little Yaris which I traded for my HS, it would have been catastrophic. Don't buy small and cheap cars, we all value our lives and if there is one thing that can be replaced, is your vehicle - yeah we try to save up on transportation but we take big risks when we buy a vehicle not safe or reliable to drive around.

I sure would not even think about how much I'd be paying a month for my next vehicle from now on, so long as it saves me or my precious family. Even gas for that matter, we try to save on fuel expense but it must worth the safety we are trying to maintain. Make sure to have uninsured motorist coverage too, it's a must!

When asked what's my next vehicle would be, it would be either the RX, GX, or LX. This time I have to have a better line of sight. You see further away and you're sitting higher than most cars, except for the ones with 24 inch wheels, jacked-up, with a warning sound that you can hear miles away "Boom, Boom, Boom"! It's hard not to notice them and you definitely want to stay as far away as you can when they are approaching.

Lastly, I learned that silver, gray, or any shade of this color is hard to see on the road. The color blends with the pavement. The cops hardly notice your vehicle and it's good thing sometimes - but the people who love to text and use their phones while driving just render you totally invisible to them - heck they can't even see the bright red light as they overspeed crossing the intersection. Just be safe, enjoy your car, and only use the eco mode when you're in the highway because you are a sitting duck when driving around town with it, the vehicle is just too slow to react when you need to manuever, that's all. Bye all!
Attached Thumbnails Hello and Bye!-photo.jpg   Hello and Bye!-photo2.jpg   Hello and Bye!-photo3.jpg  
Old 09-23-11, 10:22 PM
ICECOLD
Driver

, I'm glad you ok.
Old 09-24-11, 08:20 AM
Hellobye71
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad for th 5 star: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6GIN57zsLY
Old 09-24-11, 08:38 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the loss and I'm glad that you were able to walk away from it. Those HS's are pretty solid, that car hit you at 55 and you were able to walk away.
Old 09-24-11, 09:11 AM
Hellobye71
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I just noticed my pics that I was able to take pics seconds after, the green light was still on. The driver behind me came to see me first and asked are you OK (kind'a smiling) I smiled back and said "yeah" then I crawled out of the passenger side door. I asked the other driver as soon as I got out "it was a green arrow light right?" he said "yes". I replied "I just want to make sure that it was" - thinking It was not my mistake.

The side curtains/side airbags should be standard for all vehicles because they work great. You don't want your head getting smashed and riddled with glass as the speeding car hits the doors of your vehicle. I didn't even have bruising or swelling that I can detect, just some soreness and pain at the points of impact in my body. I don't know why I have to keep telling this but... I believe bigger is better, and choose the most attractive/noticeable/really bright color you could get when you buy your next vehicle for extra safety.

Last edited by Hellobye71; 09-24-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-24-11, 06:01 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad you're OK.

Before you get something taller, just realize that in a taller vehicle you would have likely rolled in this t-bone situation, and you may not be walking at all right now. Being higher would not have made any difference in you seeing this guy coming, but would have put you in more danger once he hit you. Having a high center of gravity isn't always a benefit.

Here's some videos of what happens to an SUV when t-boned:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2c6_1256181465
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfjqMuR8oYo
Old 09-24-11, 06:47 PM
Hellobye71
Driver School Candidate

Good point, anything bigger that hits you is a great disadvantage when it comes to getting t-boned. I am just glad my car got hit by another car with comparable size and weight.