HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Real MPG

Old 12-27-09, 09:56 AM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real MPG

This thread is going to pop up sooner or later... I am curious too...

So what MPG are you guys really getting? They estimated something like 35? Are you getting more or less?
Old 12-27-09, 11:45 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Overall, through last fill (2912 miles) is 44.71 MPG . Best tank is 46.24 for 344 miles ... worst tank 43.37 for 285 miles. Current tank will probably end up around 44.5 MPG . Best tank had some weekend short stop and go errands that cost about 2 MPG . So far all miles have been "commute" miles. All miles have been since 10/17/2009.

I would characterize the commute driving as 60% city/ 40% highway. It is 32 miles each way (about 1 hour) in the DFW area. On the highway portion ... I use Cc set to about 57 mph through what I would describe as "rolling" elevation changes (long rolling hills). The highway portion is my ... "take a break" time.

I'm guessing I'm getting about 40mpg on the highway and 46-48 MPG in the city. The city portion of the drives get to deal w/all the warm-up losses. Previous tank I filled on the way home about 10 miles from the house w/car warm ... and avg MPG showed 59.4 MPG (probable actual about 56 mpg) when I pulled in the garage. This is the only "segment" MPG I've ever checked.

I do use some of the hypermiling techniques to accomplish this.
Old 12-27-09, 06:19 PM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Well 40+mpg on really light foot driving yes?
Old 12-28-09, 02:51 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

I guess you could characterize it as that.

I use eco mode and don't acelerate any faster then what the "top" of the lime green band allows (eco light stays on). The real gains come from using a hypermiling technique call Pulse and Glide (P&G). Basically ... you are running off batteries (EV mode) as much or more then you are running the engine. This works very well up to 40 mph.
Old 12-31-09, 03:16 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

It was pointed it out to me ... that my comments about the mpg's I've recorded can be misleading.

So here's my "disclaimer" ... or the fine print:

My sense is that the mileage I have recorded is non-standard. This is a shame ... because the vehicle is capable ... however ... it is all dependent on the driver. There are some individuals that would almost certainly get even better fuel economy. I also believe the majority of owners will get worse mileage.
Old 01-01-10, 01:47 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

man that is impressive
Old 01-04-10, 10:06 AM
Lee4029
Driver School Candidate

I have been debating on writing this as I usually like to work things out myself. However I have been very discouraged as to the mpg’s I have seen with my HS. Bear in mind I just crossed over 1000 miles the other day and not sure if that makes a difference.

Driving the HS through its first tank of gas was of course a learning curve. I achieved no better than 31-32 mpg. This was using mainly the eco mode and toying with the power mode. My wife could only get about 29-30 mpg, but she does have a heavier foot. I started reading a little more on hybrid driving techniques and have started trying to put them into practice. On my current and last tank I have made every effort to not exceed the lime green line and use only the eco mode. I have had to dip into the power band a few times but only when there was no other option (entering a freeway). I made sure I was in the power band for only a short time. I have been trying to do the whole “let your foot off the gas for a second and let the batteries takeover” as well as some very minor pulse and drive. I am still only seeing average mpg’s of 31-32. I have seen 35 pop up once but only as I was parking. I do try to use the EV mode for my neighborhood and parking lots, as well as some stop lights when traffic is low. Nothing seems to carry me beyond the 32-33 mark.

What makes this more frustrating is reading where HS drivers are running around in power mode 24/7 and getting 35 mpg no problem. I am not asking to see 47mpg out of my HS, however it would be great to achieve 40. Hell, I would settle for the epa sticker 34-35 at this point.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-10, 11:46 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Lee4029,

With out knowing more about the type of driving you do (length of time, terrain, % city/highway, etc.) ... it's hard to be specific

Areas that are a challenge for me:

_Good mpg's before the vehicle warms up (first 5 minutes minimum) or short trips. This absolutely kills fuel economy. Also ... hybrid fuel economy in general takes a hit in the cooler/colder months of the year.

_Learning to pulse and glide 40 mph and below. This is what has provided the biggest fuel economy gains for me. It also has taken quite a bit of time and effort to learn how to do it and when to use it safely.

_Learning the "stages" (there are 4, plus EV) of the HSD system and what can be done in each stage. How to get to the fourth stage "S4" asap ... this is the HSD "full hybrid" mode and allows for the easiest transitioning between engine/batteries.

_Figuring out how to master the 41-50 mph range. I find it difficult to get good mpg's in this range.

_Tire pressure?

Don't get discouraged ... it definitely takes time to learn how the vehicle works and it's personality(s). As I have come to understand more about the behavior of the HS250h ... the easier it has been to "get" what others are saying about methods to improve fuel economy.

Hope this makes some sense and helps ... good luck!
Old 01-04-10, 01:16 PM
Lee4029
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help.

My daily commute is about 10 miles (15 min). I would say 70% of this is highway miles. The terrain is fairly even with a few slight to moderate hills. I can tell the mpgs suffer some on the moderate hills. Not sure if this helps.

- I do try to let my HS warm up 5-8 min in the driveway each morning. I have heard about cold hurting the mpg. It was my hope by allowing a 5 min warm up I could avoid some of this.
- I rarely seem to find myself in an arena that allows for much pulse and glide. I few side roads here and there are ok, however main traffic areas are not friendly to this. I don’t exceed 40mph when doing this one.
- Stages of HSD? This is a new one to me. I will have to give it some reading.
- I always assumed 40-47mpg would be a challenge, but never thought 35 would even be an issue. I read so many stories on how any idiot can get 35 with this car in power mode. Just seems frustrating at this point. My other car is a IS350 (completely different world I know). I have no problems beating out the epa numbers on it. I figured it would be a breeze in an HS.
- Tire pressure is at the factory setting 35. I have heard pros and cons for inflating to max sidewall psi.

I have not given up by a long shot, just wish I could see that elusive 35mpg pop up a little more often … or better yet consistently.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-10, 01:59 PM
SS255
Driver School Candidate

So far I have done all city driving (5.5-mile commute to work), and usually don't go more than a few blocks without having to stop for a light, a stopsign, or a speed bump. I'm averaging about 26-28 mpg, which is very disappointing. I presume that this is because I don't normally drive for more than 20-30 minutes at a time, and a good portion of that time is spent idling.
Old 01-04-10, 02:38 PM
KGenaidy
Driver

A few things to try:

_Don't let the HS250 warm up. While it is idling ... it's getting zero mpg. "Warm it up" by driving it. In the cooler temps it takes me about 3-5 minutes (in DFW) to start getting "ok" fuel economy.

_Highway miles are tough ... this isn't the HS250's strongest suit. Being "cold" will hurt it a bit more. Given your description ... I can easily understand the fuel economy described.

_I choose to run 51 psi (max sidewall) so the tires roll easier. It firms up the ride a little ... but I actually like it better. When I first started experimenting with this ... I couldn't believe how much "easier" the vehicle rolled.

_The stages have to do with the engine warm up (read coolant temp) and the way the vehicle behaves and what it will/won't do. The following is from memory ... and probably isn't 100 correct ... but will give the idea:
S1 - cold ... can't do much ... engine always running
S2 - can start to use EV ... engine may still run or may auto stop
S3 - can use EV ... engine will shut off (auto stop)
S4 - full hybrid mode. You get to S4 after you come to a stop and the engine stays running for 7-10 seconds. The 7-10 seconds is key ... if it shuts off after 2-3 seconds ... it's not ready for S4 yet. I try to force it between 10-15 minutes at a stop sign (foot on brake ... blip accelerator to start engine) . In warmer temps ... this transition point happens much quicker.

_With a hybrid ... little things tend to make a much bigger difference than w/a "conventional" vehicle.
Old 01-04-10, 05:48 PM
Lee4029
Driver School Candidate

Thank you again.

I was thinking like SS255 that maybe my daily commute did not really allow enough time for great mpg's. I see what your saying about warm up time, however the temp this morning was 15 and felt like 6. Some warm up if even to kick on the heated seats for a few keeps the wife happy as we car-pool. I might just have to deal with this until we get some warmer days. I noticed the other day by letting the car warm up, the HS recorded a drop in my mpg average by about .8 mpg for a 5-8 min warm up. This actually made me feel a little better. Not a lot ... but a little.
Old 01-04-10, 08:37 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Nice! Great to hear the HS getting great MPG.

However, this hurts considering I'm about to purchase a Ford Crown Vic, lol.
Old 01-05-10, 09:26 PM
dedas1
Rookie

Hi
Interesting in reading everyones comments. KGenaidy, do you really have your tires inflated to 51 psi? What size tires are you running? do you have the 17 or 18 inch wheels? I would be interested in doing so if it makes the ride less rough. I use to drive a Acura Legend, and it has been very hard to get use to the HS. I have the premium model with the 225/45 18 inch wheels that are recommended to run at 32 to 33 psi. I have conventionally run 4-6 psi higher on my other cars without too much loss on comfort and cushion. I would think 51 psi would be like you were really riding on a very small part of the tire and risk hydroplaning in wet weather like we have in Seattle. Thanks for you reply.
Old 01-06-10, 06:18 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Hi Dedas1,

The tires are the 18" tires. This morning pulling out of the garage ... the tires were at 49 psi (28 degrees out). The ride is a bit more firm (read feel the road more).

My observation and experience is that all the tread is making contact with the road. I have not noticed any issues in rain and light snow. I have also not noticed any abnormal wear issues. Time will tell on how the tires wear ... I hope to get at least 25k miles out of them (grumble ... grumble).

I believe choosing the "appropriate" psi depends on personal preferences, comfort, and above all ... safety. I have made the choice to maximize fuel economy, tread wear, have a firmer/sportier ride, and stay within the tire manufacturers guide lines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real MPG