Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TED_FR
Diesel = 0.899 € / liter
Gasoline = 0.999 € / liter

BMW 316 (122 hp) base price = 27.050 €
BMW 320diesel (177 hp) base price = 34050 € sells like hot cakes
fuel efficiency according to BMW specs = 4.7l/100 outstanding

Lexus IS220d (177 hp) base price =32.250 € does not sell very well, multiple reliability issues related with the diesel engine
fuel efficiency according to Lexus specs =7.4 l /100 (not that good) but the actual fuel efficiency for some drivers is pretty close from IS250's (9.0 l /100 +). Clearly Lexus definitively needs an Hybrid since the IS220d is a major failure and it has been announced that Lexus will stop producing the diesel IS220d when the gen3 IS is released (by 2011).
last time i checked, in germany the same engine was rated way above BMW offerings in reliability, and Toyota won the best relibility award for 2008, for models 1-3 years old, which includes those diesels that have issues (it is not just 177hp version, all of the Toyota diesel engine series have same issues)... which means everyone else is having even bigger issues with diesels, which is what i have been saying for a long time around here and people dont believe it. German media is going beserk about rate of failures on modern diesels (clutch/transmission/turbos/etc) that are now 3-5 years old...

As to BMW diesel in question, great engine - but of course, that fuel consumption is due to very long gearing + start/stop system... in fact, that particular engine won award from Autobild for biggest discrepancy between official figures and real life test - i believe they got around 6.7l on average, or >40% difference.

I am not sure if Lexus will get more diesels or not, but that has nothing to do with 177hp engine, rather that their hybrid is selling so well that they are thinking about making it hybrid brand (if that is true and possible, which is doubtful right now).
Old 01-01-09, 07:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Everything I have show the IS 220d has been a tremendous help to Lexus, its the best selling vehicle. It has the most torque in class. Its the first Lexus diesel hopefully they will get better in the future. Lexus NEEDS hybrids AND diesels to compete better in Europe where they hope to see sales grow to over 100k.
dunno the validity of the poll, but in this one 17.5% of is220d owners have been left stranded by their broken down car.

lots of other dealer-visit-required issues too.

and according to the poll, only 27% would buy another one.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...howtopic=47474
Old 01-01-09, 08:20 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly Mike, makes some sense. Make a true 2 door coupe, hybrid. Batteries help with weight distribution!
then it becomes what we wanted all along, FT-HS
but they canned that plan so i guess that isnt coming either

Old 01-01-09, 10:36 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging from the responses, many aren't pleased with the IS220d due to the issues (such as 5th Injector/O2 sensor, the rattles and creaks and the EGR). Heck, most people have already been victimized with their IS220d vehicles stalling in the middle of the road and a few didn't like the way the manual gearbox responded with the 2.2 diesel engine. Indeed, not pleasing news to hear (and it is very un-Lexus for their cars to stall on the road)

In fact, here's what they recommended: The IS220d is so ****ing terrible that it is simply a waste of time and money (and a bigger headache at the service/repair station or shop). PERIOD. Better yet, go get yourself an IS 250 SE-L automatic instead

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...ic=56100&st=20

It looks like the consensus is right......and I think many European Lexus owners feel the same way. Ditch the 220d and go get yourself an IS250 auto.

You won't regret it
Old 01-01-09, 11:31 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribed for photos of this new hs
Old 01-01-09, 11:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything I have show the IS 220d has been a tremendous help to Lexus, its the best selling vehicle. It has the most torque in class. Its the first Lexus diesel hopefully they will get better in the future. Lexus NEEDS hybrids AND diesels to compete better in Europe where they hope to see sales grow to over 100k.
In the UK, the best selling Lexus is actually the RX400h.
Old 01-02-09, 06:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The lines are similar to the new Corolla.. Rolla drivers will step up to this as Camry drivers stepped up to the ES..
Old 01-02-09, 10:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
dunno the validity of the poll, but in this one 17.5% of is220d owners have been left stranded by their broken down car.

lots of other dealer-visit-required issues too.

and according to the poll, only 27% would buy another one.

i said it before, and I will repeat it again - there is nothing unique to the IS220d engine compared to complete series on diesel engines from Toyota that last month won award for most reliable brand from Autobild for cars 1-3 years old, out of which 50% are powered by those same diesel engines. Meaning it is more reliable than other diesel engines sold by other brands... Meaning I would not want to get diesel engine if I wanted something reliable, ha ha.

As to the poll, it has quite small engine issues voted for, considering people go to the forums to complain. More people complained about interior issues.

A lot of people complained about fuel consumption - i would guess a lot of those traded up from smaller diesels, thinking that having 177hp diesel wont give them any fuel penalty... oops. Bigger turbos spend more fuel...
Old 01-02-09, 03:55 PM
TED_FR
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
i said it before, and I will repeat it again - there is nothing unique to the IS220d engine compared to complete series on diesel engines from Toyota that last month won award for most reliable brand from Autobild for cars 1-3 years old, out of which 50% are powered by those same diesel engines. Meaning it is more reliable than other diesel engines sold by other brands... Meaning I would not want to get diesel engine if I wanted something reliable, ha ha.

As to the poll, it has quite small engine issues voted for, considering people go to the forums to complain. More people complained about interior issues.

A lot of people complained about fuel consumption - i would guess a lot of those traded up from smaller diesels, thinking that having 177hp diesel wont give them any fuel penalty... oops. Bigger turbos spend more fuel...
I have to disagree with that, the IS220d is the very first Lexus ever that had that many engine reliability problems. That's the very first Lexus ever that will let you down. Among our members, some of them experienced the same problems several times, and these are NOT small issues, check with them, which means that even once fixed you cannot make sure you will reach your destination with no problems.

The point is that with this engine, Toyota wanted to pump out 177 hp from a 2.2 liter diesel engine, that's just too much to ask for!

On the other hand, Toyota 'regular' diesel engines are rock solid, my Land Cruiser 3.0 diesle engines delivers (only) 165 ch and for the past 6 years, I never had a single problem with it.

But you're right Bigger turbos spend more fuel... but in the Is220d case, it can be up to what an IS250 would spend , BMW320d has far better performances and spend far less ... I guess that even Lexus may fail some times, and they did.
Old 01-02-09, 08:31 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TED_FR
I have to disagree with that, the IS220d is the very first Lexus ever that had that many engine reliability problems. That's the very first Lexus ever that will let you down. Among our members, some of them experienced the same problems several times, and these are NOT small issues, check with them, which means that even once fixed you cannot make sure you will reach your destination with no problems.

The point is that with this engine, Toyota wanted to pump out 177 hp from a 2.2 liter diesel engine, that's just too much to ask for!

On the other hand, Toyota 'regular' diesel engines are rock solid, my Land Cruiser 3.0 diesle engines delivers (only) 165 ch and for the past 6 years, I never had a single problem with it.

But you're right Bigger turbos spend more fuel... but in the Is220d case, it can be up to what an IS250 would spend , BMW320d has far better performances and spend far less ... I guess that even Lexus may fail some times, and they did.
Agreed.

Though it may probably have to do that fact that this is engine is made in Poland (which is surprising considering that the engine factory there is just new)........and unlike the other Toyota group diesel engines that are made in Japan (where quality control standards are way stricter and heavily enforced)

Who knows......

Bottom line though: Forget about the IS220d and go for the IS 250 Automatic

Sure, the fuel consumption of a petrol/gasoline vehicle is higher and depending on how much unleaded fuel is, it may be a problem (that and if you are in the UK, you WILL have to pay higher VED tax every year). But at least you won't be disappointed and at least your Lexus will not stall at all.

P.S.
Shocking indeed as I was imaging a Previa with this 2AD-FHV engine (as I saw the performance and fuel economy benefits it offered over the 2AZ-FE petrol/gas engine)........yet after hearing these horror stories, I don't feel like ever installing such an unreliable engine (if they can't get it right).

Might as well go for the 2GR-FE engine instead and be on the safe side (even if it consumes more fuel since its a 3.5 V6 petrol/gasoline engine)
Old 01-02-09, 08:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I will be in Detroit for the HS250h unveiling. Of course another Club Lexus Exclusive!
Old 01-02-09, 08:46 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
I will be in Detroit for the HS250h unveiling. Of course another Club Lexus Exclusive!
Looking forward to it.
Old 01-07-09, 03:12 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Bump for the upcoming unveil.

I am so excited for this car and can't believe that there isn't any leak about it. I guess Toyota/Lexus was determined that there will be no more leakage after the 2010 Prius incident...
Old 01-07-09, 03:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
Ryan, are you going to get Lexus to rev the HS engine like the IS-F 2 years ago?

J/K

(fyi everyone you can't rev a hybrid engine lol)
Old 01-07-09, 03:42 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

lol

welll im in it 4 pics..

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11