HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 09:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg
Yes, we do know the car is about Fuel Economy. But people asked for a Lexus like Prius. You know, a Lexus with wood trim, leather, an elegant design. They didnt ask for a Toyota with a Lexus badge.

What I think is that people are accepting a half assed effort by Lexus when we KNOW they are capable of much more. I dont buy the statement that hybrid buyers dont want wood trim in their vehicles. Was that the same reason to decrease the amount of wood trim in the GS, RX, ES, and LS? Sounds like an excuse/cover up to promote cost cutting. And yes, the RX debuted with aluminum trim, but wood trim quickly became an option later.

And nah, I cant give them props for dropping an old Camry Hybrid engine into a brand new Lexus. For what? Why?!! What about the new I-4 engines? They could have used that, or the other engine technologies they use in the JDM Toyota's.

And yes it has Lexus Enform and LED headlights and all that other tech stuff. It's SUPPOSED to have that.

I'm sorry, but I should expect the best from Lexus. This is NOT the best from Lexus IMO. I can't accept this when I know they have the potential and capability to do much more. This car could have been outstanding. But its lukewarm at best.
I don't totally disagree with you but again there is no prior precedent for this car. This is again, another Lexus first. We have nothing to truly compare it too. I am with you on Lexus not using as much wood in the past but clearly buyers don't seem to care.

I am not sure why the new 2.5 was not used except that they will eventually upgrade to it. I am assuming the 2.5 was not available at the time to develop into a hybrid.

To be honest G, I think its not just this Lexus. The exteriors of the IS convertible, 3RX and now this have just left us cold. The interiors are something we as "old" (though we are young lol) Lexus nuts are something we will have to get used to. Lexus is not going back!

Last edited by LexFather; 01-11-09 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-11-09, 09:58 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EXACTLY!

what the hell is the purpose of the car? ITS JUST NOT NECESSARY.

an absolute embrassment to lexus. Youd be the biggest fool to feel good about buying this thing when you can just get a prius that serves its purpose...this thing is just a "feel good your driving a lexus badge"...when it adds nothing more than that
Old 01-11-09, 09:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i dont think that mpg can be considerably more than 34 mpg by Camry.... depends on the weight, but i would guess it will be heavier than Prius, lighter than Camry.
Old 01-11-09, 09:59 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like half-assed version of next generation COROLLA.

Another weak effort from Lexus.
Old 01-11-09, 10:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think that mpg can be considerably more than 34 mpg by Camry.... depends on the weight, but i would guess it will be heavier than Prius, lighter than Camry.
It will probably have slightly better batteries.
Old 01-11-09, 10:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with no disrespect meant, i can see it doing very well in canada, where acura sells junk like rebadged civics and where people are VERY sensible and don't like to look flashy.
This HS250H does remind me somewhat of a Canadian Acura CSX (rebadged Civic) :

ACURA CSX :

Old 01-11-09, 10:07 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Overall, it just sucks. FWD, 187hp, 40ish MPG, looks like a Yaris crossed with a Corolla, and a somewhat cheap and sparse interior. All for $30ish grand? Come on.
Damn...when you put it like that, it does kinda suck. What kills me is that this ordinary hybrid will still sell like hotcakes when it could have been something real special.
Old 01-11-09, 10:08 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where's my $5????

I told you this thing would look sh:tty

yes, It does looks like an aftermarket mod of a corolla.

at 184" in length, they should've just slapped a hybrid into the is250.

This car is one step in the same direction as Acura, and has been hit twice with the ugly stick.

I agree that this car does not look like it belongs in the lexus family.

One thing I hate with a passion about lexus is that they seem too scared to get creative with the sheet metal. A few more creases would've been better.

and fkin FIRE the guys who design the lexus rear end. WTF is up with making everything look cheap and ugly like the RX butt?

those tail lights are one of the ugliest non-luxury looking lights i've ever seen. They're even unworthy of being put on a mazda. the taillight design is cheap, and the clear is gimmicky.

the only saving grace is that mercedes is about equal in the ugly department now.
Old 01-11-09, 10:10 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well...i cant say it looks good, but i dont hate it either.

i really like the front, the side profile and the rear are complete IS rip offs. its kinda like those chinese brands that were copying car designs from everyone else. 187 horsepower is NOT ENOUGH in a luxury hybrid. it should have at least crossed the 200 mark. In many ways, this car is a disapointment, but it cant say that it wont sell
Old 01-11-09, 10:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is sad is that if you looked at just some elements of the design and never saw the whole picture, you would think this was a great looking car.

Those angles are all particularly good IMO...if I saw just those before today I would have thought this was going to be a great looking car. The overall picture though is just bland and disappointing.
Old 01-11-09, 10:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

By the sheet metal & size, this car is based on the Corolla.. Props to Lexus for a beautiful interior in this car..
Old 01-11-09, 10:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

It's not that bad...
Old 01-11-09, 10:17 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-11-09, 10:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

IS250 is heavy, RWD vehicle which would get 28mpg and be *** slow at it. Not only that, you still would not be able to fit child seats at the back, and trunk would still be tiny :-).

As silly as it is, this is just what Lexus needed in Europe, and I hope it gets sold here. My old Prius had more space at front, back and trunk than my GS350, while being 3 sizes smaller vehicle.
Old 01-11-09, 10:18 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the worst part about this car is that it has the ugliest (like the RX) clear brake lights area in the world

I wonder if that trunk spoiler is optional, cause it aint helping the design

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11