HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Official:Toyota to show 3rd-gen Prius,plug-in hybrid,Lexus version January in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 11:01 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official:Toyota to show 3rd-gen Prius,plug-in hybrid,Lexus version January in Detroit

Toyota today confirmed it will show off two new hybrids at next year's Detroit auto show, in addition to the next-generation Prius. One will be badged a Toyota, while the other will wear a Lexus badge and both will be powered by lithium ion batteries, also confirmed to go into production in 2009.

Toyota's executive vice president in charge of R&D, Masatami Takimoto, told Automotive News the new Toyota will be larger than the new Prius, which will also debut in 2009. "It's a totally new car," he said. The third-generation Prius will keep using nickel-metal hydride batteries, while the longer-lasting, more powerful lithium-ion batteries are to debut in the automaker's first plug-in hybrid to be released in 2010, around the same time as its sole competitor from GM, the Chevrolet Volt.

At the same time, Takimoto revealed the Panasonic EV Energy Co. venture will begin building an initial batch of lithium-ion batteries next year, set to test quality consistency, with mass production commencing in 2010.

In the same press conference, Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe announced the automaker is setting up a 50-person battery research department that will be charged with developing newer batteries that will outperform the lithium-ion design. The staff may be doubled in as little as two years, and the new design could be metal-air.

Other 'green' measures coming from Toyota will include the launch of 1.3- and 2.5-liter gas engines with stop-start technology to cut down on idling, which are due for release later this year. They may or may not be matched with an ultra-efficient and small six-speed manual, slated for a fall release. At the industrial level, Toyota vows to cut the carbon dioxide emissions its factories produce by 35 percent compared to 2001's levels by 2010.
(Courtesy of leftlanenews)
Old 06-11-08, 11:05 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

How bout cylinder deactivation technology?
Old 06-11-08, 11:06 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

They'll be shown at an auto show next January. Not launched next January.
Old 06-11-08, 11:08 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

"Toyota today confirmed it will show off two new hybrids at next year's Detroit auto show, in addition to the next-generation Prius. One will be badged a Toyota, while the other will wear a Lexus badge and both will be powered by lithium ion batteries, also confirmed to go into production in 2009.

Toyota's executive vice president in charge of R&D, Masatami Takimoto, told Automotive News the new Toyota will be larger than the new Prius, which will also debut in 2009. "It's a totally new car," he said. The third-generation Prius will keep using nickel-metal hydride batteries, while the longer-lasting, more powerful lithium-ion batteries are to debut in the automaker's first plug-in hybrid to be released in 2010, around the same time as its sole competitor from GM, the Chevrolet Volt."

Is it just me or does paragraph II contradict paragraph I on the use of LiON? Is this anything new? The news that the next Prius would be introduced at the Detroit auto show is old and the timing that has been reported is that Toyota gets the new Prius in 2009 while Lexus doesn't get theirs until calendar 2010.
Old 06-11-08, 12:04 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
How bout cylinder deactivation technology?
That would not do much good on a 4-cylinder motor.
Old 06-11-08, 12:08 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

This article is terribly worded.

The first paragraph says a Lexus and Toyota hybrid using LiIon will go into production in 2009. It sounds to me like the Lexus will not be a rebadge of the Prius but instead a rebadge of this new Toyota hybrid, and they will use LiIon while Prius continues on NiMh.

Then later in the article it mentions the LiIon cars going becoming available in 2010.

The only timeline I can construct from the facts presented is it starts being build late 2009, they show it off in Jan 2010, and it goes for sale shortly after?
Old 06-11-08, 12:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
That would not do much good on a 4-cylinder motor.
Oh, I wasn't referring to 4 cylinders. Honda's vehicles with VCM boost fuel economy of their 6 cylinders by 1 MPG city, 2 Hwy. 4WD Pilots now can be equipped with VCM, no longer just the 2WDs. And with these gas prices thats nothing to balk at.
Old 06-11-08, 12:14 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
This article is terribly worded.

The first paragraph says a Lexus and Toyota hybrid using LiIon will go into production in 2009. It sounds to me like the Lexus will not be a rebadge of the Prius but instead a rebadge of this new Toyota hybrid, and they will use LiIon while Prius continues on NiMh.

Then later in the article it mentions the LiIon cars going becoming available in 2010.

The only timeline I can construct from the facts presented is it starts being build late 2009, they show it off in Jan 2010, and it goes for sale shortly after?
Good, it wasn't just me.
Old 06-11-08, 12:30 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless I've heard wrong, the Lexus version will be a two seater...
Old 06-11-08, 12:31 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol when i read the first paragraph that said the lexus was getting Lithium ion batteries, i was like yay. but then, i read the next sentence that said they will debut in 2010. so...im confused
Old 06-11-08, 12:32 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Unless I've heard wrong, the Lexus version will be a two seater...
yeh....i think you heard wrong.
Old 06-11-08, 12:36 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
yeh....i think you heard wrong.
From what I heard, it's not a two-seater in the sense of a sports car or roadster - but for the purpose of giving two "front seat" passengers a luxurious amount of room..
Old 06-11-08, 12:46 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
From what I heard, it's not a two-seater in the sense of a sports car or roadster - but for the purpose of giving two "front seat" passengers a luxurious amount of room..
What do you mean then? A 2+2 with nice front seats and an almost unusable back seat like the SC430?
Old 06-11-08, 12:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hold on guys, LOL!!!

That '2 seater' comment was an April Fool's Joke created on CL, the "LF-Ch" hybrid concept with 2 seats for extra room. It's NOT real.
Old 06-11-08, 01:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Hold on guys, LOL!!!

That '2 seater' comment was an April Fool's Joke created on CL, the "LF-Ch" hybrid concept with 2 seats for extra room. It's NOT real.

Quick Reply: Official:Toyota to show 3rd-gen Prius,plug-in hybrid,Lexus version January in Detroit