Hawaii and Guam For events in Hawaii and Guam

Visiting Hawaii in September...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 12:22 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips I'm going to compile all of the suggestions into a word document and print it out with some articles on each spot. I really want to have this trip organized to avoid any wasted time... but I think I'll enjoy myself no matter what I'm doing... so there probably isn't such a thing as wasting time

I'll be sure to pack suncreen but I am in a tanning booth everyday of my life.. I know its bad.. but my girl works at a salon so its free and its relaxing I do hear the Hawaii sun is much different then other areas so I'll take caution.

I'm very.. very excited. Now I just have to figure out which day to go to the Shark Cove and how I'll get there! Rent a car? Taxi? Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-08, 12:36 PM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

maile sky court is alright... it's a pretty long walk from the beach and a little far from the night life!

are you booking the trip through a travel agency? i work at a hotel, but... i always book trips through hawaiian travel club! i would call several different agencies and compare... if your friend works for an airlines, ask for flight attendant and/or travel agent rates!

here's a map of waikiki strip...
http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html
Old 08-06-08, 01:10 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Annalyz
maile sky court is alright... it's a pretty long walk from the beach and a little far from the night life!

are you booking the trip through a travel agency? i work at a hotel, but... i always book trips through hawaiian travel club! i would call several different agencies and compare... if your friend works for an airlines, ask for flight attendant and/or travel agent rates!

here's a map of waikiki strip...
http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html
I looked on Google maps and its no more than a mile from Waikiki beach.. thats chump change. And "alright" is fine for a place I'll barely ever be at. If you work at a hotel, hook it up!! Her friend works at Alaska Air which JUST started flying to Honolulu in October of last year... and they only have 1 flight going out every day.. so they're not exactly bout it bout it when it comes to Hawaii. I have called several different agencies and the package I came up with myself beats them all. I'll check out Hawaiian Travel Club... but most of them are out of my preferred budget range.
Old 08-06-08, 02:13 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Here's what I got so far...

Things to do:
* Day trip to North Shore
- Sharks Cove 3 minutes away from Waimea beach

* Island Hop to Kona
- Volcano activity if the lava is flowing, worth checking out at night especially

* Polynesian Cultural Center
- Tour and Dinner show

* Diamond Head Crater
- View is awesome, not much of a hike

* Waikiki Beach
- Learn to surf, sign up on beach

* Hanama Bay
- Snorkel with the sea life

* Paradise Cove
- Next to J.W. Marriott Ihilani Resort for a Luau and cultural experience

* Circle Island Drive
- Great way to spend the way

* Makapuu Lighthouse Hike
- View is "nutz"

* Pearl Harbor
- Get there early (6:00 am)

Places to eat:
* Marriott Waikiki: Sansei Sushi (2nd Floor)
- Weekends its 1/2 price everything on menu after 10pm + free Karaoke + $3 beers

* Side Street Inn (Near Ala Moana shopping center)
- Good eats but long lines if you get there late

* Lei Lei's restaurant (Turtle Bay)
- "DA BOMB!"

Anything else to add?
Old 08-06-08, 03:16 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/around_town/

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/aroundhawaii_reviews.html

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/hiking_around_hawaii.html

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/food/

Just some good info....surf around this site.

Pete
Old 08-06-08, 03:24 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks I'll read around on that site.. that hotdog breakfast looks BOMB!

Me putting trust in CL members... (good move, i hope!)... I'd appreciate any specific spots you love to eat/drink/chill in the area I'll be at.

I understand its more of a touristy area than anything and people that live there most likely don't visit it often.. but if you do.. pitch in.. thanks!
Old 08-06-08, 06:10 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by T.K.O.
Thanks I'll read around on that site.. that hotdog breakfast looks BOMB!

Me putting trust in CL members... (good move, i hope!)... I'd appreciate any specific spots you love to eat/drink/chill in the area I'll be at.

I understand its more of a touristy area than anything and people that live there most likely don't visit it often.. but if you do.. pitch in.. thanks!
The food reviews are mainly where locals go to eat...not "touristy" at all.
Old 08-06-08, 08:54 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
The food reviews are mainly where locals go to eat...not "touristy" at all.
I meant that the Waikiki beach area is touristy, not the site. I'll check them out. Thanks
Old 08-06-08, 09:00 PM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

I looked on Google maps and its no more than a mile from Waikiki beach.. thats chump change. And "alright" is fine for a place I'll barely ever be at. If you work at a hotel, hook it up!! Her friend works at Alaska Air which JUST started flying to Honolulu in October of last year... and they only have 1 flight going out every day.. so they're not exactly bout it bout it when it comes to Hawaii. I have called several different agencies and the package I came up with myself beats them all. I'll check out Hawaiian Travel Club... but most of them are out of my preferred budget range.
uhh, i tried? the counts are up, so... i didn't want to take a chance!
Old 08-06-08, 09:51 PM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

Anything else to add?
hawaiian food
mai tai's
kahuku shrimp
shaved ice
t&c surf shop
808 tees
pog juice
Old 08-06-08, 11:32 PM
VIP_ES300
Lexus Test Driver

how about zippys?
Old 08-07-08, 01:00 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Then there's:
Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu (Hawaiian food, near Waikiki)
Liliha Bakery (cocoa puffs, short drive from Chinatown)
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck (in Kahuku, while you're on the north shore)
Kua Aina Burgers (Ward Centre)

Hope you're not planning on going back "slim"!

Last edited by TrendyTodd; 08-07-08 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 01:34 AM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Hmmm, everyone's got good suggestions. You said you wanted to pick up some things for your GS. Revision Audio would be the place to go. Its where most of us go. PM me I'll give you the low down.
You might want to check out Waikiki Nei its supposed to be like a Cirque show. It then turns to a Night Club. If it actually opens by the time you get here.
If its Night life is around the city you want, I suppose it depends on the crowd you want to be around. The Pearl at Ala Moana Center is a nice decently classy place not all youngins, but somewhat crowded. Mai Tais is good but crowded Live local bands is a plus. Also in Ala Moana. Pipeline Cafe is also around Ward Center, lots of locals, Island vibe, crowded. Can't go wrong with the YardHouse, but its a franchise so, don't expect anything different. Tiki's is also a good place Restaurant / Bar vibe. Rumors, night club, more mature set, not so many youngins.
I suggest not hitting all the "touristy" beaches. There's more secluded private spots. Visit North Shore, but don't get in over your head espeially if the surf is bad. Polynesian Cultural Center is a must. Go there early so you can catch everything. The women there are dangerous. Aotearoa, Tahiti/ French Polynesia... I will say no more.
Food, well there's a lot of places, deffinately try all that was listed. Hit Ward Center. Lots to choose from. Also you might want to check out the Oceanarium @ Pacific Beach Hotel. 3 story aquarium tank & a pretty wicked buffet.
Alright... I'll shut up now.
Old 08-07-08, 02:27 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL I used to work at Shogun (which was on the third floor of that 3-story aquarium Kaluna mentioned). I hear it's gone now though .

In Waikiki, you might like Teddy's Bigger Burgers. Not necessarily a Hawaiian burger, but I generally like their food and specialty fries. They're kind of modeled after a 50's burger joint.

If you're big on sushi, you may want to try Sasabune on King Street near Ala Moana Center. Bring cash for that one though.

I've also heard that some of the helicopter tours around the neighbor islands are awesome. Probably the ones around the volcano on the Big Island would be the most interesting I'd think. So if you do make it out there, maybe that during the day followed by a hike out to where they allow you to view the lava hitting the ocean at night?
Old 08-07-08, 02:30 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

I meant that the Waikiki beach area is touristy, not the site.
Ummmm...i thinks thats a given.....Waikiki=touristy.

Quick Reply: Visiting Hawaii in September...