Hawaii and Guam For events in Hawaii and Guam

Anyone been to the island of NIIHAU?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 04:57 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone been to the island of NIIHAU?

hey everyone,
i will be on vacation during the summer in hawaii, well actually going to a friends wedding on maui, so after the wedding we are going to kauai for a few days. wanted to do something different and thought it would be cool to visit NIIHAU, since i dont know anyone who has been to hawaii who has done that. is it worth going? thanks for the input also, anyone have any must do things or places to eat on maui or kauai? thanks!
Old 04-09-08, 06:10 PM
jersmell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to get permission to visit the island, at least thats what i've heard. its privately owned by Keith Robinson and Bruce Robinson, the island has been privately owned by the Robinson family since 1864. As a result, Niihau is generally off-limits to all but relatives of the island's owners.

other info: (not sure how correct it is)

Tourists are able to visit the island through a limited number of supervised tours, including diving, hiking, and hunting safaris.
Old 04-09-08, 09:59 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

umm... if you like the nature stuff (hippy stuff) yea its paradise BUT... when it gets dark... its dead (boring).
Old 04-10-08, 12:35 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Not to mention I believe they only speak Hawaiian on the island and follow customary hawaiian customs. I've never heard of any tours there, but I know you do need permission from the Robinson family. Although it is part of Hawaii and the US, it is private property.
Old 04-10-08, 01:12 AM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Correct you need permission to visit the island. They do speak Hawaiian on the Island, but not exclusively. Its actually a different older way of speaking. Its the some of the closest experiences you'll have to old Hawaii. There have been in the past specific access to the island, but are few and far in between. It is the oldest island of the main chain... so its much different than the other islands. Nice place. Somewhat dryish, would be interesting if you can get there. Kaho'olawe is a powerful place. But its even harder to get on there. Mainly because of the possibility of blowing up.
Old 04-10-08, 01:15 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Sounds like you've been there kaluna. Must have been a treat and an honor to visit. For most of us, its probably a once in a lifetime chance.
Old 04-10-08, 01:31 AM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Kaho'olawe I have been to many times. Did some work there with PKO. Ni'ihau I have close ties to. You get the same vibe between the two islands. Something hidden, like its right there on the other side of you but you can't touch it. From the first step onto the beach on Kaho'olawe, you feel it. Its impressive.
Old 04-10-08, 01:38 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaluna
Kaho'olawe I have been to many times. Did some work there with PKO. Ni'ihau I have close ties to. You get the same vibe between the two islands. Something hidden, like its right there on the other side of you but you can't touch it. From the first step onto the beach on Kaho'olawe, you feel it. Its impressive.
That's awesome. I love how you describe it as well. I can almost feel what I think you felt...
Old 04-12-08, 09:39 PM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrisyano
That's awesome. I love how you describe it as well. I can almost feel what I think you felt...
As decimated as the island is, with all the bombs around and bullet holes clear on the heiau's... it's still beautiful. There's one point on the island that stands above the rest, on a clear day you can see from O'ahu to The Big Island as it was the center of Navigation for the islands. There is a massive stone that sits on this pu'u or hill. The stone is aligned to perfect north and exact degrees of East & west, In the evening hours the North Star rises in line with the stone, and in the morning the sun rises from Hale'akala. When you stand there and take it all in... Its amazing.

Its unfortunate that the island will never be able to sustain life for extended periods. A test bomb fractured the water rock below the island. Now there's a massive crater that the bomb created filled with brackish water. Perhaps one day nature will find a way...

Alright...thats my shpeel for the day. Onto Highlands Starbucks.!
Old 04-12-08, 11:43 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

thanks for the infor everyone. just wanted to try something different.