Team Late Night: Hara Kiri and the deathly goats - Page 674 - Club Lexus Forums

Team Late Night: Hara Kiri and the deathly goats

Old 04-20-17, 01:55 PM   #10096
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

she swears up and down (and sideways) that she doesn't grade on a curve...IDK how she won't with scores this low.
ArmyofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 02:55 PM   #10097
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Boy, that's a career risk!
Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 07:06 PM   #10098
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-20-17 at 09:19 PM.
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 09:28 PM   #10099
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

I got a phone call a bit ago. It was not a good one.

Sgt Brandon Stefan died last night. He deployed with me in 2006 for 15 months, to Baghdad. He got out in 2012, and battled through PTSD, Depression and a heroin addiction. In 2015, He got clean.

Just got word that he overdosed on H last night. Passed out and never woke up. Such a senseless, tragic death. I just talked to him on tuesday, via facebook. He was good, his kids were great, he and his new GF were headed on a vacation this weekend...

Old 04-21-17, 12:07 AM   #10100
link13
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
I got a phone call a bit ago. It was not a good one.

Sgt Brandon Stefan died last night. He deployed with me in 2006 for 15 months, to Baghdad. He got out in 2012, and battled through PTSD, Depression and a heroin addiction. In 2015, He got clean.

Just got word that he overdosed on H last night. Passed out and never woke up. Such a senseless, tragic death. I just talked to him on tuesday, via facebook. He was good, his kids were great, he and his new GF were headed on a vacation this weekend...

I am sad to read this and sorry for your loss. My company is very active in causes for military personnel, families, and veterans. I'll look for opportunities for us to be more involved with mental health issues specifically and talk to our foundation chairperson.
link13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 02:30 AM   #10101
TripleL
No Substitute

Josh: Such tragic news Deeply sorry for this loss.
TripleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 05:29 AM   #10102
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Terrible news Josh. Feel really bad for his kids and gf...
Old 04-21-17, 06:03 AM   #10103
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by link13 View Post
I am sad to read this and sorry for your loss. My company is very active in causes for military personnel, families, and veterans. I'll look for opportunities for us to be more involved with mental health issues specifically and talk to our foundation chairperson.
thanks all.

Lmatt, the list of guys from that tour that have died since we came back is up to 20 names and climbing.
Old 04-21-17, 07:49 AM   #10104
link13
Lexus Champion

That is absolutely tragic.
link13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 09:59 AM   #10105
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Josh, that's just tragic beyond words. PTSD probably led to his addiction - as too many soldiers turn to anything to help fight their demons. Whether it's alcohol, drugs, or deep psychosis, too many times they withdraw into themselves and get lost. We see far too many of our warfighters who come home with deep mental wounds that are difficult to diagnose and treat. Most of them try to deal with it on their own and even if they get competent treatment, this is too often the result. It should be a challenge to the rest of us to insist on proper care and treatment for those who put their lives on the line for us.

It's the least we can do to care for those of us whose wounds aren't as visible as a missing arm or leg, but they are often just as deadly.

Some, like your trans-gendered friend you spoke of earlier try to escape into wish-fulfillment, but this can be deadly as well. We all have thought at one time or another that if only I had this or that, maybe a new job, a new home across the country, a new circle of friends, or even a family of my own, THEN everything would be all right, I would be loved and appreciated. But the demons follow you into that new home or new relationship, and you find that your problems are still there - often greater than they were before. That's often the trouble some of my LGBT friends are experiencing, that a lifestyle change will provide the key to the happiness that has eluded them, but they often find it's not the solution they hoped, driving them even deeper into depression and often suicidal thoughts.

So far there is no treatment, no drugs, no course of counseling that is effective in all cases. AA and its sister organizations have been effective in many, but not all, cases. The problem seems to be that the disease, whether PTSD, addiction (whether related or not), or even gender identity are all a part of us trying to find ourselves by any means we can. Maybe, and I don't want to sound like an evangelist at this point, instead of looking around for a solution, we should be looking UP.
Old 04-21-17, 10:47 AM   #10106
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
Thanks Paul! That looked like such a good deal I was ready to buy, but it's not available within 250 miles of Houston.

I looked around for a similar deal and found a 55" Sharp at Sam's for $428, including Roku instead of Chromecast - with Fedex shipping. Hope it works out; our 55" LG was nearly 4 years old when it quit. I'm not sure that a lightning strike took it out via the cable box (AC connected thru a UPS), or it just died of overuse. Our daughter has used it for years 24/7 to watch her programs after bedtime for us, and as entertainment for her pets and/or a nightlight to the bathroom for her. I'm getting her a 7.5W nightlight in hopes that she won't continue to use the TV. The cats are on their own - from the looks of the living room they manage to entertain themselves quite well without it.

Mornin' team! Mudslide with the French Market again this morning. I could get used to this . . . but if I want to stay on my diet, I'm giving it a rest for a while. Looking forward to a decent lunch. Great "Dinner Dogs" (named by a Chicago friend who should know), on the menu, courtesy of Capital Sales where they work out to be about 18 each. Looks like I'm gonna eat a lot of these before I cover the cost of that TV.

I'm supposed get that new TV delivered tomorrow. Last night, while squinting at the 23" monitor across the room, JK "bought" an episode of "Fargo". Yeah, that print is pretty fine from 15' away. Next time she says she's going to pry herself out of her chair and go have a closer look at the screen. I thought they just used that micro-type size on the back of my insurance policy.
Old 04-21-17, 11:31 AM   #10107
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

you can buy the toshiba from bestbuy's website with free shipping. worth saving the $80?
Old 04-21-17, 05:01 PM   #10108
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

I've got 90 days to see if the Sharp is the one I want to keep. I'll probably decide well within that time limit though. Right now, it appears the specs and reviews are pretty much the same as for the Toshiba - so I'll give it a week or so. Meanwhile I'm going to look for a Toshiba here locally, just to make a visual comparison.

I was interested in Sharp's Quattron technology that used a fourth color channel to display yellow on the screen. Rather than an RGB signal, it used an RGBY output to produce the picture on screen. The trouble is that there is no actual Yellow channel broadcast, that channel has to be derived from the RGB by interpolation. Make no mistake, the RGBY system gives an incredible picture - FAR superior to RGB, but it's all dependent on that electronic interpolation, how it's set up, and how it tracks from scene to scene, channel to channel. It does deliver an 8 megapixel picture, and stunning brass, gold, and yellow colors (difficult for most RGB systems) but it comes at a premium price, as you can imagine. Sadly, at my price point, it isn't currently available.

Quattron was developed for the Aquos 3D TV that never sold well, and has since been ported to the newer line of large 4K sets. On 60 - 70-inch screens, the effect is absolutely stunning - but that technology didn't trickle down to lesser products in the line. Since that time, Sharp split its other RGB pixels, effectively delivering a 16 megapixel display, but again, there is that price issue.

More at http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/527...ing-technology

Shortly after this technology was introduced to the consumer market, a Chinese company purchased Sharp and licensed both its name and its trademarks in 2015, so it appears that what we knew as "Quattron" may be dead - or at least subject to review. The buyer was Hisense, a Chinese electronics giant that owns the better part of the Asian TV manufacturing markets, purchasing the rights to the Western Hemisphere market from Sharp. What this means looking forward for the brand here in the West, is up for grabs.

What is apparent is the reason for the duplicate specs between a number of TV's available today. Hisense bought Sharp and added it to it's Hitachi, Matsushi*a (Panasonic and JVC), NEC, Sanyo, and Toshiba, lines - now all under the Hisense corporate umbrella. How long they will retain any proprietary features remains to be seen. Quattron as we knew it may migrate upscale to VERY large 4K systems in the Hisense universe.

Last edited by Lil4X; 04-21-17 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 06:13 PM   #10109
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

1. Vos, Curtis.
2. McKisset, Bobby.
3. Moran, Matthew.
4. Howard,Glenn.
5. Burns, Robert.
6. Seitz, Daniel,
7. DeFrank, Vincent.
8. Gibson, Shaun.
9. Hearst, Sergei.
10. Mackulin, Geo.
11. Lynn, Jonathan.
12. Arace, Nick.
13. Rogers, Bradley...AKA "Baby Sniper"
14. Hodge, Thomas
15. Faucett, Daniel.
16. Stefan, Brandon
17. Ladd, Thomas
18. Arnold, Johnatha
19. Pritchard, Chad.
20. McMurine, Richard.
21. Reynolds, Matthew

The list keeps getting longer. Lots of guys I had no idea had passed on.

Thunder, lightning, wind, hail all in the forecast tonight. Glad I got my storage runs in before the weather.

Obligatory pix:

I have never been so happy to have a 9500lb winch in my life. That big toolbox weighs in excess of 2500lbs. The others are mostly extra tools, I work out of the big boy.
Old 04-21-17, 07:03 PM   #10110
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

Just finished a 10 page research paper on fracking for Texas Government.

Glad thats over, no matter what grade I get.