GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HELP! DAC downhill Assist Control Keeps Flashing

Old 11-06-13, 07:35 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Mann,

Please look at my earlier post with the 2nd photo, this is the only switch indicates if the truck is in L4 position from H L N. I jumped it as shown in the photo and all worked. I didnt have to troubleshoot DAC switch on the pedestal, since it is sending the signal and the problem was resolved jumping the L4 from bottonm of the truck.

This is a common failure on Toyota 120.

I will try to access it with some homemade special tool from bottom, the dealer usually drops the transfercase to access it. If so, I wont do it, I also heard you can drop the cross member support and it will drop few inches for more room, I dont know how to do either.

Originally Posted by mann777
Ok you are talking of the L4 detection switch While I was talking of the DAC SW on the pedestal itself. But My question to you how did you determine which switch is faulty could be either one. Either the DAC switch on the pedestal or the one L4 Detection Switch. You may need to check the resistance to confirm the faulty one. Yes accessibility for the L4 is from below, but definetely cramped up leading to the ECM.

Last edited by gxman1; 11-06-13 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-06-13, 10:32 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

The faulty sw ECM code is P1782 L4 Range position sw performance. See if that has recorded into your ECM from Autozone.
Old 11-06-13, 04:35 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Great tip, I will do it later tonight. Thanks

However, I am thinking it wont read anything. My reason is this, the ball part of the switch is faulty and ALWAYS in open position, as if the car is in H position, even though physically the lever is in L position.
Confused? LOL

I have no doubt it is the switch, when I tripped it from the bottom of the truck to imitate the switch DAC turn solid all was working normal. You can see from my photo, I used the paperclip,

I just bought several 27MM tools, and made some custom tools to get into the cramped area. I dont want and dont know how to open the cross member so the Transfercase can drop few inches, for me to get the switch out.

Originally Posted by mann777
The faulty sw ECM code is P1782 L4 Range position sw performance. See if that has recorded into your ECM from Autozone.
Old 11-07-13, 03:02 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Just in case if others have these issues:

I changed the switch, without dropping the transfercase or lowering the transfercase. Dealer said they have to lower or remove the Transfercase.

I made a tool out of 27MM socket bought at lowes, basically cut it 80% down cable width to accommodate cable when tightening it. Combinations of extensions and swivels. Thank you harbor freight, Taking out was pretty easy, putting it back was tough, it took an hour.

DAC is working perfectly!
Also did the spark plugs OEM.

Just got in mail Toyota Techstream, now will try to connect to OBD and change the features which only dealer can do it, I am also going to try make another key by programming it. Dealer wants too much for the key and local locksmith wants $180. I think if all goes well, I will have the duplicate key and programming for $12.
Old 11-07-13, 03:36 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
Just in case if others have these issues:

I changed the switch, without dropping the transfercase or lowering the transfercase. Dealer said they have to lower or remove the Transfercase.

I made a tool out of 27MM socket bought at lowes, basically cut it 80% down cable width to accommodate cable when tightening it. Combinations of extensions and swivels. Thank you harbor freight, Taking out was pretty easy, putting it back was tough, it took an hour.

DAC is working perfectly!
Glad to hear you finally got it working!! Sometimes you gotta love Harbor Freight.

Also did the spark plugs OEM.
After I did the spark plugs I notice I had more pep from a dead stop. Did you noticed any difference? What plugs did you use?

Just got in mail Toyota Techstream, now will try to connect to OBD and change the features which only dealer can do it,
Did you get the one for $5,000 or the eBay kit? All I've seen people talk about is getting their DRLs turned off. I'd be curious to know what other changes you can make. Let me know what you find out.
Old 11-07-13, 05:57 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Hi Rc,

Could not of done the DAC without your help, your attachments motivated me.

I used the OEM, pulled out NGK and the dealer sold me Denso Irridum SK20R11 New Part Number 9008091180

My truck ran good before, I just did it so I dont have to bother at 120K. I think it is same as before, runs right.

You are correct on Techstream, I bought the knock off kind for $25, it does work perfectly. by the way I can run it on win 7 64bit, usually you have to run it on 32bit system. Found a hack.
This works: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-8-64-bit.html

I just hooked it up, and played with it, programmed a key for $9
Screw the dealers and locksmiths. I bought car with 1 key, I made a wallet flat key without transponder hid it outside of the truck for $12 key and cut from ebay.

Bought another key for $9 NOT Cut, but new never programmed. Took it to store and had it laser cut for $1.29 and programmed it with Techstream!

I heard from people about shutting DLR, I just finished the DAC, tuneup and Techstream, didnt play too much after the keys. If it has DLR shut off, I will try tomorrow.

I am going to put the hitch on soon, OEM without hole from the plastic center plate.

By the way, I did android GROM kit installed, AWESOME clean installation. Stream bluetooth from my phone A2DP flawlessly awesome Music quality steering controls tracks and incoming calls pick/hang. Also, I have additional mini usb hard drive with 6000 songs in glove box, working flawlessly. Truck looks stock all hidden.

I need to do LED light, I saw you did yours, I am mostly interested in Map light, center roof, step board. I want white not blue. It maybe expensive.

Last edited by gxman1; 11-07-13 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 10:14 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

RC,

This gadget is far more than I expected, here are few things, too many to list here, it is about customization and security.

Not only it lets you erase previous keys from other owners or lost on your truck, it lets you program old keys from other lexus using 4D chips - here is a link of cars/truck chart using 4D. http://mysecuritypro.com/pdf/autotruck.pdf

Many people are discussing the keys are married to the ecu, and you would need Security professional clearance from Toyota Techstream to program used keys with site generated code...Not true for our truck GX

I picked up junk old lexus keys for fun from a used car lot dealer for free, took the tiny transponder out, size of a thick rice grain. I got a key from ebay for $10 coded and CUT by them, looks like wallet key but no transponder/chip, just a cheap key. I bought to unlock the door incase I leave my master key inside. I programed the tiny chip salvaged form other lexus and it works perfectly. Now I hide my key without chip outside, and tiny piece inside a small ziploc bag. If I ever loose keys, I can take the key from outside hidden from my truck manually open the door and take tiny rice grain size chip, touch the keyhole metal and crank at the same time - 2 hand needed..lol. it starts right up. You will never be stranded!

GOOD NEWS --TECHSTREAM Also, lets you customize many things, and YES DLR can be turned off: woohoo just did it! No more ugly yellow light when driving.

Last edited by gxman1; 11-07-13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-08-13, 07:12 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

WOW that tool is worth it just to program a key(s). I thought about turning the DRLs off but the way these crazy azz drivers drive here in Central Florida I need all the help I can get when it comes to making myself noticed. I've never seen such unskilled drivers in my life and this is coming from a guy who grew up in Northern Virginia / Washington D.C. / Maryland traffic!

What else can you do with it?
Old 12-05-13, 05:38 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techstream

I picked up a cheapo Techstream last week and finally got a chance to play with it tonight.

I bought it for the Tundra because I wanted to customize a few things in the Tundra so they worked like the Lexus, and didn't really want to pay the dealer to do it.

- I changed the Wireless Door Lock setting so the truck would unlock all the doors on one key press.
- I turned on the Anti-Theft System (It comes disabled unless you buy the Limited)
- I turned off the Seatbelt warning chime, both drivers side and passenger side (Not advisable)
- I turned off the Auto Door Lock feature after xx number of mph
- I turned off the Auto Door Unlock after putting the vehicle in park
-
There seems to be a host of other things you can "Customize"

Headings in the Customize Settings are:

Wireless Door Lock
Security
Illuminated Entry
Light Control
Slide Roof
Display
Smart Key / Access
Others
Door Lock
Power Window
Warning
Tilt & Telesco
Air Conditioner
Unit Conversion
Seat

I plugged the Techstream in to the GX and it worked exactly the same, although it did recognize the GX as a Land Cruiser

All in all, I'd say it my favorite toy to date.
Old 12-05-13, 05:56 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
I picked up a cheapo Techstream last week and finally got a chance to play with it tonight.

I bought it for the Tundra because I wanted to customize a few things in the Tundra so they worked like the Lexus, and didn't really want to pay the dealer to do it.

- I changed the Wireless Door Lock setting so the truck would unlock all the doors on one key press.
- I turned on the Anti-Theft System (It comes disabled unless you buy the Limited)
- I turned off the Seatbelt warning chime, both drivers side and passenger side (Not advisable)
- I turned off the Auto Door Lock feature after xx number of mph
- I turned off the Auto Door Unlock after putting the vehicle in park
-
There seems to be a host of other things you can "Customize"

Headings in the Customize Settings are:

Wireless Door Lock
Security
Illuminated Entry
Light Control
Slide Roof
Display
Smart Key / Access
Others
Door Lock
Power Window
Warning
Tilt & Telesco
Air Conditioner
Unit Conversion
Seat

I plugged the Techstream in to the GX and it worked exactly the same, although it did recognize the GX as a Land Cruiser

All in all, I'd say it my favorite toy to date.

Oh wow, that has a lot of setting! Did you get yours from eBay?
Old 12-05-13, 06:07 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine off of Amazon Rc.

I'm not sure if I can post this or not but I guess if it's a violation of some kind, it will get removed.

Here is the one I purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/Newest-V8-00-034-Techstream-Diagnostic-Software/dp/B00C9B32J4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386295530&sr=8-1&keywords=fotga+newest+v8 http://www.amazon.com/Newest-V8-00-034-Techstream-Diagnostic-Software/dp/B00C9B32J4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386295530&sr=8-1&keywords=fotga+newest+v8

Cheers!