GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New to the Forum seeking advice on buying an 2003 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 08:39 AM
Maxc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Forum seeking advice on buying an 2003 GX470

Hello to all, I am new to the forum and hope to be here a long time. My wife and I have recently decided that we want to purchase a GX470. We have found a private seller with a 2003 with 100,000 miles. The 90K service has been done by a Lexus Dealership, seems to be in good condition inside and out.

My question to the forum is.....Is there anything I should be concerned with buying a 2003 model year versus any of the other model years? The truth is my budget would only allow me to get into a high mileage 2005 at best.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Old 06-11-13, 11:52 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 2005 included the VVTI which was good for another 30 horsepower if I'm not mistaken. Its not like you'll be roaring down the drag strip though, so 270 ponies are still plenty to get the job done.
Old 06-11-13, 08:59 PM
Niteblu
Driver School Candidate

Verify from the dealer that the 90k service included water pump, seals, and timing belt. There are people that are getting ready to sell their GX that don't do all the above at the 90k. Better to ask now than to find out later. TSBs and recalls should be checked to help look for future problems that may arise.
Old 06-11-13, 09:52 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I've owned my 03 for eight years and there's really nothing more to worry about than any other year. Check the shocks for leaks, some seapage is normal, but they shouldn't be wet or show seapage more than half way down. Check to see if the shocks are factory or aftermarket. Air springs may be close to requiring replacement, but certainly no guarantee. I did mine at 107 and my bro in law still has the originals at 143k mikes. Work the suspension up and down switch and pay close attention to how the truck rides over choppy roads or deep dips. None of these things are deal breakers, but negotiation points.

There are options for repairing or converting the suspension to traditional setups, so read everything you can about shocks and springs and go in with your eyes open. Oh! And check inside and outside CV boots too. They usually go right around the 90k mark.

I'm certainly not trying to scare you away. Just pointing things out to look for or be aware of. These trucks are still nicer than most things on the road, so you'll definitely enjoy driving them better than most things. They are solid machines and good for 250k or more.

Definitely check independent shops for any services at this point. You'll save tons over the dealer and cross reference Toyota parts every way you can.

Good luck and happy shopping. You'll love the GX.
Old 06-12-13, 06:02 PM
Maxc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rj4510
I've owned my 03 for eight years and there's really nothing more to worry about than any other year. Check the shocks for leaks, some seapage is normal, but they shouldn't be wet or show seapage more than half way down. Check to see if the shocks are factory or aftermarket. Air springs may be close to requiring replacement, but certainly no guarantee. I did mine at 107 and my bro in law still has the originals at 143k mikes. Work the suspension up and down switch and pay close attention to how the truck rides over choppy roads or deep dips. None of these things are deal breakers, but negotiation points.

There are options for repairing or converting the suspension to traditional setups, so read everything you can about shocks and springs and go in with your eyes open. Oh! And check inside and outside CV boots too. They usually go right around the 90k mark.

I'm certainly not trying to scare you away. Just pointing things out to look for or be aware of. These trucks are still nicer than most things on the road, so you'll definitely enjoy driving them better than most things. They are solid machines and good for 250k or more.

Definitely check independent shops for any services at this point. You'll save tons over the dealer and cross reference Toyota parts every way you can.

Good luck and happy shopping. You'll love the GX.
Thanks to all for the great information. I have been doing as much research as I can and all of the owner reviews on this truck seem to be excellent with the only negative being gas mileage. We are driving an X5 with 4.6 engine right now so the fuel consumption certainly cannot be any worse. I just wanted to start this thread to see if there are any pitfalls to look out for. I find the people on forums like this really know their stuff and would give honest opinions to help a potential buyer and I was right.
Old 06-13-13, 01:08 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

MaxC, Welcome to the forum, Two major thing apart from the contribution to be seen is
1. Dashboard crack, Have a close look on the dashboard, minute detail would give you an assesment of the dashboard, Have a look on this GX forum - First Gen which has covered extensively along with images by various members.

2. Secondly The dreaded clunk is always there in these model, The quick solution are the greasing options available, you will not know if this symptom is there. Better have a study on the service report whether the TSB for this has been carried out.
hope this helps
Old 06-16-13, 04:58 PM
REDTAIL27
Driver School Candidate

i also have a 2003 and you need to pay attention to details mention before and you should be fine