GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Unbelievable snow performance!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 06:07 AM
Rockiedave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable snow performance!

I am new to the group, having just purchased our new '06 GX in November. Honestly, I thought we'd rarely, if ever, use the low range 4WD or the rear height adjustment. However, here in Denver, we've had a lot of snow lately. My wife and I were testing out the GX in the largest of our recent 3 snowstorms (24+ " at my house) and it got stuck in High 4WD. I threw it into Low Range and we pulled out like there was no snow at all! Since Denver wasn't good at plowing the residential streets, we used the rear height adjustment just to get up our street. I will probably never use the car off-road, but having these features makes us feel even more comfortable that we can make it through almost any winter conditions!

Just thought I'd share our experience. We are so happy with this truck!

This is a great forum and I'm glad I found it.
Old 01-07-07, 09:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

glad you have great experience with the truck. By any chance, do you have snow tires? Makes quite a big of a difference over all-season tires
Old 01-07-07, 09:44 AM
LexFather

Great story, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-07-07, 10:29 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome to hear. Be careful out there, it looks bad.
Old 01-08-07, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We drove thru quite a few snow strom here in New England as well. The GX is right up there with my old Jeep when it comes to driving in the snow. I have not use the low range yet, but I did use the diff. lock once to get out of trouble. The GX was able to get thru some roads that other 4X4 was getting stuck. We have the Cross Terrains, they are pretty good in the snow. Alot better than the Dunlops. I would say unless you live in Northern Canada or Alaska, the Cross Terrains are good enough.
Old 01-08-07, 05:29 PM
Rockiedave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
glad you have great experience with the truck. By any chance, do you have snow tires? Makes quite a big of a difference over all-season tires
We have the original all weather tires on the truck. If this weather keeps up, we may be investing in some new snows, however.

Any suggestions on snow tires?

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-07, 08:59 PM
strindl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rockiedave
If this weather keeps up, we may be investing in some new snows, however.

If the snow keeps up, there's no problem. It's when it comes down that it's bothersome.
Old 01-15-07, 01:45 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Dont think that will happen in cali...Props anyways
Old 01-15-07, 04:43 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally Posted by Dr.Zeus
Dont think that will happen in cali...Props anyways
Depends on where you're at

Here are some pics I posted a couple years ago when I first experienced the amazing snow capabilities of the GX. We got about 6 feet of snow overnight up in Tahoe. I had the joy of driving through a few feet of unplowed fresh powder in the GX with no problems.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146457
Old 01-17-07, 05:13 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only person who has managed to get a GX stuck in the snow?

Before anyone asks, I have driven some of the worst snow vehicles (like a Datsun 510 rear wheel drive and a Datsun 280ZX Rwd) through snow on hills, so I am not exactly inexperienced!

When we had our biggest snowstorm last year (I'm thinking around 20", but we do get some big drifts), I decided to go out just for a fun ride. I pulled out of the driveway and rode around the streets. No problem.

Then it came time to put the truck back in the garage. We have an arrangement with a fairly narrow driveway, and then a sharp right angle (which requires backing up at angles) into the garage which enters from the side of the house. My garage door gives me maybe an inch of clearance on each side.

By now this really powdery light stuff was all over the place, and I had to move a lot of it to make this turn. I didn't exactly have a lot of room for error once at the insertion point. Next thing I know, I was stuck. I tried locking differentials, lower gears and setting the trans to Low - not moving.

I wound up having to get a shovel and dig under the skid plates. The snow had totally compacted under there and there was no way I was moving - especially with the very limited manuauvering I could do. Finally got it going after I shoveled out, but talk about embarrassment...
Old 01-24-07, 05:56 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

ohio just got a sudden 3" last sunday...it was fun to go dancing in it with the GX

CV
Old 02-15-07, 04:25 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

SilverLady, I remember the storm well. Feb. 12, 2006. You guys got hammered, and lower coastal regions got nothing .

We have had a ton of ice here the last two days. The GX handled well, even when it was very slick. No trick driving, but slow and steady. I passed 4 accidents on the Expressway just before it closed for the evening.

Rich
2005 RX330
2003 GX470
Old 02-15-07, 05:50 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by R3Wood
SilverLady, I remember the storm well. Feb. 12, 2006. You guys got hammered, and lower coastal regions got nothing .

We have had a ton of ice here the last two days. The GX handled well, even when it was very slick. No trick driving, but slow and steady. I passed 4 accidents on the Expressway just before it closed for the evening.

Rich
2005 RX330
2003 GX470
We have all that ice around here, too. The town does a poor job on the local roads, and even the main roads were bad with ice/snow blown back on them from large open fields (for some reason they did not have the wooden snow fences up this year).

The GX has been doing a decent job. I've thrown it into locked diffs a few times, which seemed to improve traction on the tricky spots. Some of the areas, like my driveway, are actually worse today than yesterday. Looks are very deceiving. There was a van down my block stuck at a driveway entrance almost blocking the road this evening. It looked like there was nothing there, but when I entered my own driveway I felt that it would be challenge for any ordinary vehicle. I think I will keep my RX in for another day or two.