GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Ironman4x4 drawer and wingkit install and review

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 11:46 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Ironman4x4 drawer and wingkit install and review

I've had this unit installed for a few weeks now and have been on 2 weekend trips to test it out. Here is my short term review on install and use.
Items purchased:
  • 900mm twin drawer set #ITD900
  • Wingkit for GX460 #ITDW064
  • Mounting kit #ITDFK064
Cost for all 3 items (including labor day 25% code and delivery to east coast) = $890.46 (great deal IMHO, and Ironman4x4 obviously knows that I am a sucker for their flash sales!)
Note: since this is a large and heavy item, it requires shipping to a commercial address with either a dock or forklift, otherwise there is an extra delivery fee of $70 to a residential address.

Pros:
  • Good value (compared to other product options)
  • Solid, very sturdy drawers, these will likely outlast the vehicle!
  • Lockable and secure
  • Frame bolts directly to subframe using existing anchor points (no drilling into floor of vehicle required)
  • Drawers open to over 3/4 of length, could remove or move bump stops if you want to extend to 100%
Cons:
  • Requires removal of 3rd row seat (may not be a con depending on your needs)
  • Not compatible with Kaon fold down barn door table. The barn door closes, however requires some force as there is contact between the fold down table brackets and the front surface of the drawers which put strain on the barn door latch. I ended up removing the table and am looking at other options.
  • Wingkit doesn't fit as well as expected, additional holes in drawers may be required to complete install, along with some trimming of the wings themselves.
  • Heavy! Requires shipment to commercial address or extra delivery fee
  • Drawers do not stay in place if open on an incline (so you may want to ensure your nose it either level or pointed up when parked)
  • Fridge slide not included, have to mount one ontop of drawers which takes up an extra few cm of vertical height plus cost of fridge slide (not a factor for me since I had an existing Ironman fridge slide).
  • Install instructions somewhat vague, especially for the wingkit
  • Some squeaking noises after install, may need some adjustment.
  • Frame mounting kit bolts do not fit existing bolt holes, had to use bolts from third row seats that were removed (not a big deal, but if I end up selling 3rd row seats, will have to make sure buyer is aware or find replacement bolts).
I have been oggling both the Ironman4x4 and Dobinson drawer kits for a while now. The Dobinsons version has the advantage of including the built in fridge slide, however I couldn't pass up the deal for the Ironman4x4 version when offered at 25% recently, which was half the price of the Dobinsons kit, shipped ($1815). Obviously if you didn't already have a fridge slide, you would have to factor that into the price. I've been using the fridge slide from Ironma4x4, which was $200 shipped. So for me, $890 Vs $1815 was an easy decision.
Anyway, on with the install......

Last edited by xychromo; 09-13-21 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 12:02 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

First of all, a big thx to GX460 bob and his

Mounting kit install:
I cut the area of carpeting (highlighted in yellow below), in order for the 2 mounting kit bars to sit flush with sub-floor of the vehicle. Basically just 2 vertical cuts on either side, the length of the affected part of the bars.
I peeled back some of the rubber-like insulation (highlighted in red) in order for the mounting bar on the left to fit flush with the floor.
I re-installed 2 bolts (highlighted in blue) using bolts from the 3rd row seat, as these holes are exposed to the exterior, definitely want to plug these up. Although these are potentially convenient access points for future wiring/plumbing use.

Note that no drilling is required into the floor of the vehicle, unlike the Dobinsons kit. You use existing holes from the 3rd row seat removal.
Old 09-13-21, 12:18 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Install of drawers:

Fairly simple, and the instructions for this part of pretty self-explanatory. You may need some help since the drawers are pretty heavy, even after you remove the actual drawers and top of cabinet in order to secure to the mounting kit. The base of the drawer frame, matches up to the holes on the mounting kit that is secured to the floor of your truck. There is some wiggle room side by side to accommodate the wing kits, more on this later. The pic below is of the finished install, including attaching my existing fridge slide to the top of the left side of the drawer cabinet. The right side drawer is extended to the bump stop, which is more than 3/4 length of the drawer.
To give you an idea of installed drawer height, it is exactly 30.5cm or 12" from top of rubber seal on bottom of cargo area to the top of the drawer cabinet. The Ironman4x4 fridge slide adds some extra height to this, and since I have a tall fridge, I need to stand on tip toes to reach into bottom of the fridge (I'm 6'2"), my wife needs a step.

Note that the piece of metal trim pictured below (between the bottom of the cabinet and above the rubber door seal) , does not come with any instructions. It actually came as part of the wing kit and not the actual drawers, I didn't fix it in place, which may require drilling a hole into the drawer frame to secure with bolts or screws. This loose install may be the cause of the annoying squeaking sound I hear when at highway speeds. I'm almost thinking of removing it and leaving the space underneath open and accessible for more storage (e.g. as an alternate to the Kaon fold down table I had to remove).

Last edited by xychromo; 09-13-21 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Slprciv (09-13-21)
Old 09-13-21, 12:34 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Wingkit install:

These were the most challenging as the instructions were not that clear and there were extra brackets included in the kit that did not fit the GX460. I'm assuming that since this kit is also for the Prado, there may be some variation in dimensions in the rear cargo area and different brackets are required. Also, additional holes had to be drilled into the cabinet to accommodate the brackets that I did end up using on the GX460, (specifically the center and rear brackets for both left and right sides). This wasn't that big a deal, as the holes were easy to drill and the kit includes plenty of extra hardware (bolts and screws). Also, the 2 little access covers on either side of the wingkit, although fit snug, are easily pushed into the holes they cover when any weight it applied. I may have to add a couple of screws to help support the weight of the covers and any weight applied ontop.
Finally, I wasn't able to get the wingkit to fit flush, on the right side, even after adjusting the drawers left to right. You can't really tell from the photo below, but the area highlighted in yellow sits a little higher and not flush to the floor of the kit and I may need to trim it a bit so that it fits flush.

right side of wingkit

Yes, you can access the jack on the left side through the access port.

The drawers do not sit flush with the back of the seats. There is a small gap of about 4.5cm between back of drawers and back of seats (fully extended and reclined). This actually gives me some extra storage space. By pushing rear seats forward a bit, I'm able to fit 2 large folding chairs in this space without taking much leg room away from my 11 year old. This may also be space for hardware install, maybe air compressor or thin battery pack?

Another view of this 'gap' from the interior cabin with right seat folded, looking towards barn door

Ultimately there is a lot of storage room to play with in the following areas, in addition to the drawers themselves:
  • under left and right side wingkits, accessible by removeable covers, which offers a considerable amount of space. I currently have all my cables (for fridge and battery pack), an extension cord, small tool kit, and some ratcheting straps all stored under the left side wing kit.
  • Gap between back of drawers and back of second row seats
  • Gap between drawer frame and Floor of vehicle (approx 1+ inch), accessible from rear of drawers or the front (if metal trim piece mentioned above is removed).
Real World Use Review:
  • Used on 2 family trips to the mountains and beaches of NC
  • Drawers themselves work great, add tremendous functionality to the cargo area, able to segregate cargo, e.g. keep all camping/kitchen supplies separate and from clothing etc., and easily accessible when needed.
  • Space under wingkit and behind rear seat also add lots of additional storage area and keeps misc. items out of the way, e.g. cables, tool kits, flashlights, recover gear etc.
  • Some squeaking noticed when driving at high speed. Not noticeable on trip to mountains, although we were carrying more cargo then, so maybe the extra weight helped keep whatever was rubbing from doing so.
  • Haven't noticed additional road noise from removal of 3rd row seats. I assume the cabinet and drawers themselves make up for the noise insolation. If needed however, you could easily add noise reducing insulation under drawer cabinet.
  • Most importantly the wife is impressed, although wonders why the drawers aren't offered in different colors to match our interior
Summary:
  • Good value for these solid drawers. $890 is a great price (at 25% off) including wingkit and mounting kit and shipping, and as I write this I just got a msg from Ironman4x4 that they are offering 25% off again as part of their fall sale!
  • Install was fairly straightforward, although with some issues dealing with the wingkit.
  • May not be compatible with your fold down barn door table, depending on manufacturer (I wasn't able to get it to fit with the Kaon table).
  • May require some adjustment to accommodate fit of wingkit and also to address potential post-install squeaking.

Last edited by xychromo; 09-13-21 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Slprciv (09-26-21)