GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

4Runner Roof Rack on GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 07:00 AM
Horn96
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 4Runner Roof Rack on GX

New GX owner to be here. I am purchasing a 2020 GX this weekend and the dealer here is putting TRD packages on them. That includes a lift, TRD wheel and BF Goodrich off-road tires. It really pushed me over the edge to buy one. What I am wondering is if anyone had put a roof basket similar to what is on a 4Runner TRD Pro on a GX? I really want something that is a basket rather than just a rack and cross-bars. If anyone has thoughts or recommendations, I am all ears. Thanks in advance!

The following 3 users liked this post by Horn96:
Acrad (08-27-20), bbqsoup (08-27-20), eburggx470 (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20, 08:20 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

What lift? and what size tire did they slap on there?
Old 08-27-20, 08:40 AM
Horn96
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly, don't know all the specs. I asked someone at the dealer to provide the details and will share when I hear back.
Old 08-27-20, 09:54 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Looks good but I hope the markups on the lift and wheels swap are not astronomical. I haven't seen anymore putting a TDR Pro roof on the GX and most just went with aftermarket full roof or some other kind of bars. Most of the holes line up except for maybe 1 in the back when people swapped the SR5 racks to the GX.
Love to see it if you're doing it the swap. It could look pretty cool.
Old 08-28-20, 08:31 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 4Runner rails on my 2016 GX, but the cross bars will not go on because the width isn't correct. So if the basket is width-specific or relies on the 4Runner rails, I'd say no.
Old 08-28-20, 01:18 PM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I also have the 4 runner rails & cross bars, I never expected the GX cross bars to fit. I purchased mine brand new from a 4 runner that was modified and didn't need the OEM's. Looks better and fits perfectly other than 1 bolt hole on each side that needed to be filled with silicone.
Old 08-28-20, 03:04 PM
PNWRacer
Driver

The 4Runner cross-bars don't fit on mine: The rails are too far apart in the front and too close together in the back. Maybe I have the rails backwards?
Old 08-29-20, 02:27 PM
2chains
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
I also have the 4 runner rails & cross bars, I never expected the GX cross bars to fit. I purchased mine brand new from a 4 runner that was modified and didn't need the OEM's. Looks better and fits perfectly other than 1 bolt hole on each side that needed to be filled with silicone.
Any chance we could get a pic of that setup?
Old 08-29-20, 08:38 PM
PNWRacer
Driver

Originally Posted by PNWRacer
The 4Runner cross-bars don't fit on mine: The rails are too far apart in the front and too close together in the back. Maybe I have the rails backwards?
I had a small epiphany last night and today flipped the rails around, swapping the left and right sides.

I think found two torx screws on the end of each cross bar. Loosening them allowed about half an inch of play on each side.

With the rails swapped and the ends loose, I was able to get the cross bars installed. Locked them in place, tightened the torx screws down, and used new Loctite in the rail bolts.

Happy camper here. Will get some pics tomorrow for those who asked.
Old 08-31-20, 03:32 AM
B1RD0G
9th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer Lift

Originally Posted by Horn96
New GX owner to be here. I am purchasing a 2020 GX this weekend and the dealer here is putting TRD packages on them. That includes a lift, TRD wheel and BF Goodrich off-road tires. It really pushed me over the edge to buy one. What I am wondering is if anyone had put a roof basket similar to what is on a 4Runner TRD Pro on a GX? I really want something that is a basket rather than just a rack and cross-bars. If anyone has thoughts or recommendations, I am all ears. Thanks in advance!

What dealer is doing this? I just purchased an Atomic Silver GX Premium and I am looking to do this lift. I’d like to contact them for more information. Thx!
Old 09-02-20, 07:53 AM
Flavorus
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd also like to know what tire size that is
Old 09-06-20, 07:16 PM
PNWRacer
Driver

Some photos of the 4Runner rack on my 2016 GX. We hauled a large cedar slab on it last weekend without it hitting the antenna.

As previously noted:
The center two bolt holes are not used. The last bolt hole is also not used. So three of the six are not used on each side. Don't put something with a ton of wind drag up there.
There is a left and right rail. Get them correct. They are marked under the caps.
The cross bars slide on from the rear. Loosely attach one front bolt on each rail. Loosen the end caps on the cross bars. Slide the cross bars onto the side rails, front first, then rear. Position near the stickers that indicate minimum wind noise. Then you can put the one bolt in each rear bracket, the second front bolt, and tighten it all down. USE RED LOCTITE ON THE RAIL BOLTS.
Fill the unused holes with silicone (first photo). I tried to close them up and keep the silicone near the top in case I wanted to get it out later.
Tighten the cross-bar end bracket screws.

The following 3 users liked this post by PNWRacer:
2chains (09-06-20), bbqsoup (10-06-20), malmon (09-08-20)
Old 10-31-20, 07:17 PM
Creetopher
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 5th gen 4Runner Roof Rails

Coming from an 06 GX to a 17 GX, I prefer the 06 roof rails look. After doing some research on this forum under mods, some members went with the Prado or 5th gen 4runner roof rails. I want Prado ones. however another member posted that he found a good deal for the 4Runner rails on offer up. I found a good deal too. I couldn't find any good angles pictures, so i decided to post some for those interested. The caveat is only the front two and one rear hole match. You will need screw in and silicone the middle two and one rear or get creative invest in a black strip. The Prado has 3 caps and better design imo.

Also, I red outed the tail lights.

last pic = stock

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Creetopher; 11-01-20 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-01-20, 04:33 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 581 Likes on 352 Posts

It you like the way it looks, that's all that matters.
Good job.
The following users liked this post:
Creetopher (11-01-20)
Old 11-01-20, 07:08 AM
Creetopher
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
It you like the way it looks, that's all that matters.
Good job.
i do like it. imo it looks sportier. Thank you!

Quick Reply: 4Runner Roof Rack on GX