GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Mark Levinson (ML) discussion / questions / problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 05:03 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is Mark L upgrade worth it?

I like my music and I like it loud. I'm not especially thrilled with the stock radio on my 01 4runner. How is the stock Lexus radio? I've heard it's very good and the upgrade is not worth it but I haven't played around with it yet. Thoughts?
Old 02-19-10, 07:32 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ML upgrade will give you a better overall sound. Clearer crispier highs, more controlled base. Not much more power, but with the '10 GX ML gets Dolby Digital (primarily for movies I guess). If you are looking for a loud booming sound, nope that's not it. You better of with an aftermarket setup.
Old 02-20-10, 12:10 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The ML has 17 speakers. I have the ML in my LS 460. I can't comment on the sound quality of the ML in the GX. My car should be at the dealer on Monday. I would listen to both and decide for yourself if it's worth it. I also like music and wouldn't order it without the ML system. I'm not into aftermarket equipment. I haven't seen a GX in person.

Craig
Old 02-20-10, 04:21 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GX has a more challenging environment for a good system, large open space, more drive train noise and wind noise. LS is more suited for a good system. In either case, if you are not willing to go through the hassle and cost of an aftermarket system, your only option is OEM (either stock or ML). I have ML in my GX (older '06) and it may have it's problems, but it beats stock hands down. When I bought mine, it was one of the important deciding factors, and I wouldn't have gotten GX without the ML system. Now, I'm looking into the '10 GX and the same holds true. Now, some call ML inadequate because it's not loud enough, or it does not have enough bass. Sound is so subjective that it's hard to please everyone, so my advice is: go to the dealer, listen to both stock and ML, and if you don't like the ML, get stock and replace with aftermarket. But chances are you will like the ML :-)
The following users liked this post:
gfcipriani (07-13-22)
Old 02-21-10, 09:13 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between my 1GX and my brother's 4Runner... I couldn't tell the difference in sound.
I've never been in 1GX without ML but I think they are about the same.
Old 02-21-10, 10:19 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on my experience it's truly how you like your audio, the Mark Levinson is not really about loudness it's about clarity and how the sound is reproduced. If you are really into quality and what have you then go jump on it, but if your the type just wants loud, I think the stock though I haven't heard it should be on the new GX should be fine.
Old 02-24-10, 07:58 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

yes - added a subwoofer amp and a shallow mount sub to OEM sub box and the system is unbelievable now. Did the same thing to my 2007 GS450h.
Old 03-02-10, 12:14 AM
LexGX
Pole Position

I don't have the 2nd gen gx but the stock ml system in my 1st gen gx is amazing for stock. Only other stock system that is decent is the bose system in the acura tl 3.2. It has enough base with the clarity for a stock system. I don't think you'll be disappointed but if you want more bass, the best bet is to get a small amp with a 10" sub and call it a day.
Old 03-02-10, 04:46 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up with a base (I told dealer I'd take whatever came first in Black Ecru) so no ML. I'm not a do it yourselfer (as far as cars go) - is there something I can do to improve the stock radio and where should I take it to have it done? I'd like to improve the ability to handle base but don't want it looking ghetto. Thoughts? Thanks all!
Old 04-23-10, 09:33 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Mark Levinson Speakers Position

Does anyone have a picture of where the speakers are placed in the car? I tried counting them, but I got only 14.
Old 06-12-10, 11:23 AM
ihatecats7
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Levinson vs. base sound

The GX 460 Premium has several options I don't care about, but it's impossible to get the Mark Levinson sound system without springing for it. Has anybody here heard the difference between the Mark Levinson and the base sound system? Opinions are appreciated.
Old 06-12-10, 04:44 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an extended test drive of a base GX and I thought the sound system was really good.

I decided to go with the premium/Mark Levinson because of better sound quality and the DVD changer.
Old 03-18-11, 02:16 PM
gportiz
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Levinson Subwoofer

I picked up my 2011 Lexus GX460 in December. I absolutely love this vehicle except for the Mark Levinson audio system. For being such a pricey option, I was terribly disappointed. As comparisson, my 2009 Toyota Hylander that I owned before had a better audio system in my opinion than my current Lexus. My Mark Levinson system sounds like a tin can to me.

Anyhow I read somewhere that someone had replaced their factory subwoofer and added a subwoofer amplifier to help augment the audio sound of the system.

Does anybody know what size the factory subwoofer is?

Can someone recommend a subwoofer replacement?

Thanks,

Gil
Old 03-18-11, 03:42 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You need to adjust the settings or something is wrong. The GX460 ML is KILLER!

Koz
Old 03-18-11, 03:51 PM
gportiz
Driver School Candidate

Koz,

I actually took it back to the dealership this week and complained. They stated that they compared the audio quality in my car to another car on the lot and that they were both the same. I find it hard to believe. I would have liked to have compared the sound quality between both cars but I did not have time when I picked up my car from the Service Department.

I actually think that something has to be wrong. I have played with all the settings since I picked the SUV up but I can't seem to get it to sound good. This past weekend I had a family member in the back seat and he commented how my Stereo sounded terrible. I thought to myself...WOW and this is the Mark Levinson system!

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson (ML) discussion / questions / problems