GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Disconnecting Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 03:11 PM
THOMASK33
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disconnecting Bluetooth

Why does my blue tooth disconnect and go into phone mode in the middle of conversations....I think I have disconnected call but it is transferred to handset..any idea of the fix..the Lexus dealer stated it was a quirk with the vehicle
Old 06-24-19, 03:54 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by THOMASK33
Why does my blue tooth disconnect and go into phone mode in the middle of conversations....I think I have disconnected call but it is transferred to handset..any idea of the fix..the Lexus dealer stated it was a quirk with the vehicle
It would help if you include the Make and Model of your phone.

Using a Samsung Note-8 ... my phone started making "Ghost Calls" since the last Android update ... where phone initiates a call to both a 2019 Lexus GX460 and 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser just after the vehicle is started ... even with Bluetooth on the phone turned OFF. This problem has been noted on iPhone Forums in the past across many iPhone models.

Given the Lexus interface is a constant (unless updated using a USB flash drive) ... bugs can be introduced on the phone side with updates. So your best bet is to search forums for your phone make and model to see what others have found with the same problem. Your problem will probably not be addressed until a future phone update ... but until then, try rebooting your phone.
Old 06-24-19, 07:36 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by THOMASK33
Also, try deleting the phone in the Lexus menu ... and then re-pair the phone.
Old 07-01-19, 07:30 PM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No issues with my iPhone like this using latest iOS version.
Old 07-01-19, 10:34 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by craigrpete
No issues with my iPhone like this using latest iOS version.
Have two Samsung Note-8's ... both purchased at the exact same time ... both have latest Android update ... only one initiates a "Ghost Call" on vehicle startup ... so same phone with same OS update does not necessarily eliminate the phone as being the root cause.
Old 07-02-19, 05:47 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same issue with my Iphone and believe it is Lexus fault for this reason.

If you reset the phone it will not reconnect with the GX, but if you reset the head unit, hold the radio power button down until the screen shows it rebooting, the phone will reconnect and work fine until the next time. Have not found a way to reproduce the problem but believe it is related to cell signal strength and the GX trying to do something. It seems to happen more often when going through a zone with a low/spotty signal.
Old 07-02-19, 08:06 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gzorn
I have the same issue with my Iphone and believe it is Lexus fault for this reason.

If you reset the phone it will not reconnect with the GX, but if you reset the head unit, hold the radio power button down until the screen shows it rebooting, the phone will reconnect and work fine until the next time. Have not found a way to reproduce the problem but believe it is related to cell signal strength and the GX trying to do something. It seems to happen more often when going through a zone with a low/spotty signal.
So you are suggesting (as a possibility) that the GX assumes the call has been terminated when signal strength drops below a certain threshold ?

interesting MacWorld article on iPhone signal strength ... suggesting that the number of bars are not an accurate measure ...

https://www.macworld.com/article/334...-test-app.html

Last edited by ASE; 07-02-19 at 08:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (07-03-19)
Old 07-02-19, 10:47 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

www.lexusdrivers.com has a link for Multimedia Updates.
I had not been there recently so I plugged in all combinations
of 2014 through 2019 GX with and without Nav...no updates
for the OP's GX. None for my '18 ESh either...
Old 07-02-19, 11:00 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcomer
www.lexusdrivers.com has a link for Multimedia Updates.
I had not been there recently so I plugged in all combinations
of 2014 through 2019 GX with and without Nav...no updates
for the OP's GX. None for my '18 ESh either...
So no updates on the GX side for a very long time ... so must be an issue on the iPhone OS side. The next OS update may address.

Stepping back ... so do we all really want "the latest" in tech ? One would think that Bluetooth connectivity would be a given at this point.

The latest "tech" ... be careful what you ask for !#!#! Car manufacturers are ill prepared to manage the myriad of device connectivity issues ... "not their problem".
Old 07-08-19, 02:39 PM
THOMASK33
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Getting Tired Of Lexus Glitches

I originally had a 2003, 2008, and 2012 Lexus GX that you couldn't talk on the phone or listen to the radio in auxiliary mode long term without it killing the power....sure once you let the car sit for a while it would juice back up....but it was scary to find that it was a downfall of the vehicle.....Now I have a 2016 riding down the highway and the navigation, radio, all functions of the car froze up....and it slowed down all on Interstate 26..took it in to the dealer...."can't replicate" $60K car and I'm scared it will freeze up in the middle of the highway...
Old 07-08-19, 06:50 PM
ASE
Pole Position

When you say "freeze" what specifically happens ?
Old 07-09-19, 12:58 PM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

There are too many variables not identified (level of battery power, iOS version, ambient noise, other bluetooth devices, etc) to draw causal conclusions. For my iPhone X latest iOS, 2015 GX flashed to the current version, no issues at all.
Old 07-09-19, 01:15 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

My iPhone 8 with current iOS will send a call to the handset (but only if a call comes in and I do a hold and accept). Kind of a PITA but I have a nice vent holder that I can still hear the person on speaker and they can hear me. It will only go back to BT after I restart the car.
Old 07-09-19, 01:45 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Statman
There are too many variables not identified (level of battery power, iOS version, ambient noise, other bluetooth devices, etc) to draw causal conclusions.
... and also ... the specific apps installed also add a layer of variables as well.
Old 07-09-19, 11:52 PM
DrTeaRex
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem with my Samsung S9 a while back. It'd randomly stop playing the music I had playing on my phone. Car wasn't a constant factor. Happened in my GX and the VW Teramont I was given as a loaner while it was in the shop. Turned out it was because my phone had the Play Music app monitored for power usage. I just stopped it from putting the app to sleep and I was all good after that.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting Bluetooth