GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2020 GX 460 General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 09:56 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadDawg
When I see this alongside all the reviews I read about new cars, I think of the fashionable quirks and features the 2020 version avoids:

Piano gloss surfaces everywhere (Smudges and scratches everywhere within a month of purchase).
Massive glossy, fiddly touch screens that require you to learn their stupid ergonomics as you take your eyes off the road.
Phalanxes of touch "buttons" that don't work very well because, let's start with this: They aren't even buttons.
Instrument clusters that think their real job is to entertain your silly self.
20 inch wheels--because nothing screams capable off roader more than big wheels with tires as thick as condoms.
(Presumably) A tiny eggbeater turbo that will cry "uncle" in a 100K miles.
Paddle shifters so you can make like Lewis Hamilton.

I don't think the version shown is the absolute final one, but I commend Toyota for not going down the same rabbit hole as the rest of the industry as they consider changes to this model. Generally, if you find yourself complaining about dated appearance of things, if you look at how those problems are being solved by other carmakers you'll be surprised at just how silly many of those "solutions" and how impractical to use and live with over time.

I am fairly well convinced that we all own a truck that will be recognized as a classic. We can only hope Toyota understands that.
I disagree, since almost all of those traits you mentioned are already available on models in the current lineup and from early reports on the next generation tough and 25 year life worthy 300 series of trucks spawning the LX and LC. They dont really recognize this as a classic (imho thats more of the 80 series), as they see as a way to cut losses. Why dump 25% of incentives (average is lower but still on a Japan import in a SUV hot marker) on a vehicle thats tired, and old when we can dump not too much money in making it somewhat upto date by using stuff that we had planned for this model 1 year ago, and already in use by other Toyota models. This model is the final product, as per reports Toyota only unleashes this "leaks/public testing" once they are quite close to launch. Most unfinished products Toyota does in private.

Originally Posted by chingwa14
Well... look on the bright side...

For all of us that has the same 2nd Gen model... ours still feel relatively fresh and not outdated.

And... makes the resale value that much better... driving those buyers away from a minimally refresh 2020 model year unit. ^_^
Heavily doubt that. Reality is depreciation occurs whether they make the new bad or good, people still buy it. I do agree that there are folks that will specifically purchase things due to the inherent value as evidenced by the market of the toyota BOF and/or lack of knowledge (ie why buy a used vehicle when you can score a new one for not too much more)
Old 05-09-19, 10:00 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I didnt think of this till now, but are the door handles backlit all the way or are they still using the same handles from the current gen?

And also observe the chrome glass surround on this premium tester?
Old 05-09-19, 10:03 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by allwheels
I don't see how they could go 10 years on the same body without even trying something different on the back. It really does just look like they took a current gen and put some updated parts on it to test. If that seriously is all they did, then fail.
As long as the keep the price similar with maybe a good serving of incentives it will move units. If they decide look we added LSS and a heftier price tag....HA, get me a leftover 19 and ill consider what happens in MY23 when this will be replaced.
Old 05-09-19, 12:04 PM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I disagree, since almost all of those traits you mentioned are already available on models in the current lineup and from early reports on the next generation tough and 25 year life worthy 300 series of trucks spawning the LX and LC. They dont really recognize this as a classic (imho thats more of the 80 series), as they see as a way to cut losses. Why dump 25% of incentives (average is lower but still on a Japan import in a SUV hot marker) on a vehicle thats tired, and old when we can dump not too much money in making it somewhat upto date by using stuff that we had planned for this model 1 year ago, and already in use by other Toyota models. This model is the final product, as per reports Toyota only unleashes this "leaks/public testing" once they are quite close to launch. Most unfinished products Toyota does in private.

Heavily doubt that. Reality is depreciation occurs whether they make the new bad or good, people still buy it. I do agree that there are folks that will specifically purchase things due to the inherent value as evidenced by the market of the toyota BOF and/or lack of knowledge (ie why buy a used vehicle when you can score a new one for not too much more)
Actually, from your response it is clear that you did not read my post carefully or just felt it was a good place to jump off for a spew. See? For starters, I was talking about THIS model and not other models.
Old 05-09-19, 12:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RoadDawg
Actually, from your response it is clear that you did not read my post carefully or just felt it was a good place to jump off for a spew. See? For starters, I was talking about THIS model and not other models.
While I cant help how you felt about my response, it seems inaccurate to give credit to Toyota for willfully ignoring trends "like the turbo engines that cry uncle at 100k" it has incorporated in the rest of the lineup for refresh/next gens and will continue to incorporate in its future product lineup that you felt it avoided with the current state of the MY2020 refresh.

TMC has the tools and technology at this point in time how to produce a reliable and technologically advanced product that will carry them through the next generation (scheduled for MY23) but instead decided nope, lets just keep things as basic as possible.

And to echo the sentiment by existing and future owners, since the GX sells in more numbers then an LX, why not invest the same into the GX as they did the LX?
The following users liked this post:
chimes (05-09-19)
Old 05-09-19, 03:38 PM
Ayswin
6th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spy Shots: The Updated 2020 Lexus GX 460

Old 05-09-19, 03:50 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

They must be testing a new power-train, because ain't nothing changed here lol.
Greenbow (05-09-19)
Old 05-09-19, 05:08 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

I didnt think of this till now, but are the door handles backlit all the way or are they still using the same handles from the current gen?

And also observe the chrome glass surround on this premium tester?
I don't think the handle has changed, frankly, based on the photo, no body panel or any parts are changed other than the grille and headlights. And most likely, the current lights will still be standard, and triple beam headlights will be either standalone or part of option package. that would be the same Lexus practice across the line.
Old 05-09-19, 07:32 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

New steering wheel and instrument cluster.... I wonder what else...
Old 05-09-19, 10:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hzhao
I don't think the handle has changed, frankly, based on the photo, no body panel or any parts are changed other than the grille and headlights. And most likely, the current lights will still be standard, and triple beam headlights will be either standalone or part of option package. that would be the same Lexus practice across the line.
yup, wondering how they`re gonna classify the tiers of trim. are we going from base/premium/luxury to something that more in line with what the other models like the RX has or staying with traditional tiers
Old 05-10-19, 01:41 AM
jojotheduc
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

If it is an upgraded infotainment unit, but same fitment, I wonder if we can simply buy the unit and plug n play into previous gen vehicles. OEM CarPlay would be very very nice.
Old 05-10-19, 05:54 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jojotheduc
If it is an upgraded infotainment unit, but same fitment, I wonder if we can simply buy the unit and plug n play into previous gen vehicles. OEM CarPlay would be very very nice.

You have no idea a factory radio costs "new". If you went to any dealership and priced one out, I guarantee it will be at least 5k. Everything replaced under warranty or as CP is a reman unit. Plus the differences in communication networks and everything else for a radio/nav unit these days, its not a plug and play adventure anymore.
Old 05-10-19, 06:13 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

While I cant help how you felt about my response, it seems inaccurate to give credit to Toyota for willfully ignoring trends "like the turbo engines that cry uncle at 100k" it has incorporated in the rest of the lineup for refresh/next gens and will continue to incorporate in its future product lineup that you felt it avoided with the current state of the MY2020 refresh.

TMC has the tools and technology at this point in time how to produce a reliable and technologically advanced product that will carry them through the next generation (scheduled for MY23) but instead decided nope, lets just keep things as basic as possible.

And to echo the sentiment by existing and future owners, since the GX sells in more numbers then an LX, why not invest the same into the GX as they did the LX?
I think I am getting a handle on things now. I see that you have posted some 2200 times and have charitably "liked" only 18 posts from others. So, Irie Vibrations to you too, my happy, generous friend.
Airpirate (05-12-19)
Old 05-10-19, 06:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by allwheels
You have no idea a factory radio costs "new". If you went to any dealership and priced one out, I guarantee it will be at least 5k. Everything replaced under warranty or as CP is a reman unit. Plus the differences in communication networks and everything else for a radio/nav unit these days, its not a plug and play adventure anymore.
Just a theory here, while you are correct that a factory nav unit probably is cost prohibitive, if one were to secure a unit somehow used etc, the unit may be plug and play. Seeing how most of the vehicle has not changed (canbus might have changed to accommodate the new features) . At the end of the day, if you the end goal is to gain Android Auto or CarPlay, its unfortunately cheaper to go for the aftermarket Android units, which have their own flaws, but at least introduce those two bigggies.

A similar discussion is happening on the 4R/taco group where folks are wondering whether the recently MY20 has launched with a new deck (AA/CP) is plug and play.
Old 05-10-19, 07:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I dont really have issues with the current GX. Just 3 updates I would like to see. Add the engine from the LS460 AWD, smaller diameter wheels with thicker sidewall tires and an upgraded infotainment system. The underlying body, structure and hardware is solid and good. The doors close with a nice thunk and zero creaks and rattles from the body and frame. It is the most solid vehicle I have driven and it is quiet, but ride can be quite bz.

Quick Reply: 2020 GX 460 General Discussion