GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Backupcamera

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-19, 11:12 PM
Kununurra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Backupcamera

Recently got a GX460 2019. The backup camera at day works well.At night it is useless. Has no resolution and is blurry. Have a RX350 2013 and the backup camera works well day and night.
Help with this would be appreciated to let me know if i could adjust the camera or get a lens modification or???
Thank you.
Old 06-08-19, 06:30 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Kununurra
Recently got a GX460 2019. The backup camera at day works well.At night it is useless. Has no resolution and is blurry. Have a RX350 2013 and the backup camera works well day and night.
Help with this would be appreciated to let me know if i could adjust the camera or get a lens modification or???
Thank you.
There are no adjustment other than the brightness and contrast in setup menu. You can play with those settings to fit your particular situation. The another thing that might help that is replace the backup lights with LED, which in my case, improved quite bit. The bottom line is the current GX display process is at 480p resolution and its greatly limited its graphic quality.
The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (06-08-19)
Old 06-08-19, 07:17 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Yea. nothing will really make this better besides adding more light at the source. But even then, the camera is limited by its own quality.
Old 06-08-19, 07:34 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Post a picture please. Perhaps yours is actually damaged or abraded?
Old 06-08-19, 03:45 PM
John00
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 274 Posts

more light is what i did. major improvement.
Old 06-08-19, 04:41 PM
sinistar
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I noticed on my 2014 that the video quality of the backup camera at night has so much glare and is so washed out and grainy that it's almost painful to look at, but daytime quality is quite good. I don't think mine is faulty, I just think it has an inherently poor sensor for low light situations. I didn't know the backup lights weren't LED, so if changing them to LED helps with this, I think I'll give that a try. Hzhao is there particular LED model or version that you recommend (e.g. color temp and such) for this?
Old 06-08-19, 06:00 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by sinistar
Yeah I noticed on my 2014 that the video quality of the backup camera at night has so much glare and is so washed out and grainy that it's almost painful to look at, but daytime quality is quite good. I don't think mine is faulty, I just think it has an inherently poor sensor for low light situations. I didn't know the backup lights weren't LED, so if changing them to LED helps with this, I think I'll give that a try. Hzhao is there particular LED model or version that you recommend (e.g. color temp and such) for this?
Any LED 921 type lights will work. I couldn't find the one I purchased from Amazon anymore, but similar to the one here:
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
sinistar (06-08-19)
Old 06-08-19, 11:28 PM
Kununurra
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,Where would i get a LED backup light and what are the specifications.
Old 06-09-19, 04:35 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Kununurra
Thanks,Where would i get a LED backup light and what are the specifications.
Check out post #7 by hzhao. There is an amazon link for the lights.
Old 06-10-19, 07:02 PM
John00
Racer

I tried a few different reverse lights. actually ive tried so many lights on this gx that i wonder if i should have done something else with all that time. but at least i will share my experience to feel a little better
These were the brightest, but they required more modification than was worth it for most users. They just don't fit really well in the GX460, the blue rubber part is flexible but still a little too big. and after the mod, there was concern on getting dirt in there, so would require silicone or tape or some other method to make sure sealed properly if cut too much on the blue seal.

What I ended up keeping for the stock reverse location was this:

Yes the pic is small, apparently this vendor took them off amazon.

but heres one that looks just like it, i found it by searching for the same specs:

Amazon Amazon

then to get even more light, i swapped the rear turns with this:

and ran up a reverse wire. now theres 4 high power reverse lights

the bottom in the pic looks orange but its really a mix of the white reverse and the lower red that messed with the camera. this even happened on the upper reverse light. so much white next to the red did that, doesnt really look orange in person.

most would be happy with just swapping out the original with that second led (amazon link) above.
Old 06-11-19, 05:16 AM
daskidmit
Driver School Candidate

I got some awesome backup lights from VLEDs and that helped a lot, but the screen still SUCKS at night! It's glare-y and so crazy bright I'm blinded at night when backing up. When I look out the window after looking at the screen, I can't see anything because my eyes can't adjust quickly enough. So annoying. Wish I could dim the screen at night.
Old 06-11-19, 05:58 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by daskidmit
I got some awesome backup lights from VLEDs and that helped a lot, but the screen still SUCKS at night! It's glare-y and so crazy bright I'm blinded at night when backing up. When I look out the window after looking at the screen, I can't see anything because my eyes can't adjust quickly enough. So annoying. Wish I could dim the screen at night.
Have you checked brightness settings for the camera screen? it is a separate setting from Nav screen brightness from the Setup Menu. When I took my 2014 GX delivery, the Camera setting is at full brightness. I had to reset it to middle where is more of normal in terms of brightness to the eyes.
Old 06-11-19, 02:53 PM
Otherone
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine was pretty bad but then I cleaned the lens. I had always washed it like the rest of the car but there was some grime/film that was still there that made it absolutely useless at night. I just used my fingernail and scrubbed it off and then cleaned with a rag. 100x better than before. I tried adjusting the screen but that didn't do much since brightness was already in the middle.

After cleaning, dark alley without much residual light.

Before cleaning, brightly lit parking lot
Old 06-11-19, 09:56 PM
Kununurra
Driver School Candidate

Pertaining the Back up Camera on my 2019 GX460.
I adjusted the camera contrast and brightness. No difference.
Changed the backup lights to RS-T105050W LED. There is a slight difference. It is a little brighter.
But the Backup Camera on my 2013 RX 350 is far better.
Here is a response from Lexus corporate:
Thank you for contacting Lexus about the back up camera quality on your 2019 GX 460. We do understand that this concern is important to you, and appreciate you for bringing this product experience to our attention.

We have looked at our records again, and we can confirm that your concerns were reviewed appropriately with a Lexus representative and you were provided with the position of Lexus on 06/04/19.

While we do regret for any inconveniences, it does represent our final position, as the component was found operating under normal characteristics.

Of course, If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us. Lexus appreciates your support, and thanks your for being apart of the family.

Sincerely,...……….

I also contacted The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration pertaining Backup Camera Standards and Laws. They told me there is a law and standard
for the Camera daytime use, but not for night time use.

I would like to thank you all who responded to my original post.
John
Old 06-13-19, 05:43 PM
John00
Racer

since it works well in the day
could put a camera with a bigger lens that allows more light in
could add light at the back
i dont think there is a 5050 t10 that is enough light in that spot. i dont think those even go past 13 smds