Looking for some advice on AT tires for the Gx460

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 09:35 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Is the Nitto above sidewall 2-ply?
I believe so. The E rated is where you get the 10 ply and thicker side walls.
The following users liked this post:
tigmd99 (05-17-19)
Old 05-17-19, 04:37 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepsride
I believe so. The E rated is where you get the 10 ply and thicker side walls.
It should say on your sidewall...something like “2 polyester ply” or something like that.
Old 05-21-19, 03:54 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Quick update: I drove 200 miles across Florida this past weekend. It tracked great at about 80mph. I am running them at 36psi cold. It was about 90 degrees that day. I would say yes they are a tad louder after 50mph than the stock crappy Bridgestones. However, only with the radio off. You cannot hear them with the radio on at a normal listening range. I would say slightly and just a little bit louder than stock at this point. I am about 3 gas refills into these Ridge Grapplers and I am happy.

I took them offroad in some sand and FL fire roads. I took them down to about 20psi and they were great. Nothing challenging but enough to know that the normal stock tires would have struggled.

So far so good
Old 09-30-19, 10:50 PM
mehotz
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tires!

Hi,

I have a 2012. I am considering Nitto Ridge Grappler or the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM3?
Size: 265/60R18

Any thoughts for what you perfer/General Comments on these tires: Ride, Confort, Durablity, etc).
How is the gas mileage?
Your truck does not have a lift on it in the photo?

Thanks-Matt
Old 10-01-19, 04:36 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mehotz
Hi,

I have a 2012. I am considering Nitto Ridge Grappler or the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM3?

Any thoughts for what you perfer/General Comments on these tires: Ride, Confort, Durablity, etc).
How is the gas mileage?

Thanks-Matt
The KM3 is a heavyyyyyy tire, and I believe it's not available in anything but the LT rated E load. The Ridge Grappler in 265/60/18 is the P-rated SL load, meaning the tire weighs less and the ride will be more compliant with the less stiff sidewall.
I have the P-rated SL Ridge Grappler in 265/70/18 and it's a great tire so far. Have about 9k miles on mine.
Old 10-01-19, 09:16 AM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mehotz
Hi,

How is the gas mileage?

Thanks-Matt
Matt

So far I have 8K miles on the tires and my wife and I really like them. It is my wife's daily driver. I am running stock suspension and stock wheels and tire sizes. 265/60R18 114S XL - These are the tires I have on my vehicle now. The XL gives it a bit more capacity and side wall stiffness. I decided against the E rated and increasing the tire size because I knew it would be a few years before I figured out what I wanted to do with this vehicle. So far the on road ride feels like the stock tires, The noise has increased just a very very little. Mostly what you hear is a bit of tread wine.You only hear it on freshly paved roads. However the decibel meter app on my Iphone said no change in sound from driver seat and rear passenger seat. I have rotated the tires 2x so far and the tread wear is very uniform no crazy feathering. I have had it offload and mostly in sandy conditions. I have yet to really push it however it is an overland vehicle in FLORIDA. It is kind of hard to really push it. It cleans out well with mud. My wife loved driving it in the mud but it sucked for me because I cleaned it.

You mentioned gas mileage - No change from running the Bridgestones
You mentioned the BFG KM3 - I cannot comment on the KM3 I have no experience with them. I did run the 35 inch KM2 for30K and I was not that impressed. I like my 35 inch Maxxis Razrs head and shoulders better than the KM2. Keep in mind this is for a heavily modified Jeep Wrangler meant more for harder trails, rocks, MOAB, etc. HOWEVER, depending on what you want to do with the vehicle can help you determine Nitto vs BFG. The Ridge Grappler is a hybrid AT/MT. It is not a true MT like the KM3. I would think if you find yourself in big rocks and heavy wet mud 80% of the time you hit the trails go with theKM3. If you do 99% road and some moderate overlanding trails, I would go with the Nittos. I think if you determine the majority of the vehicle's use, you will have a clear pick in which tire would be good for your rig.

Last edited by Stepsride; 10-01-19 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 07:37 PM
mehotz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it. I have done my research and it looks like the Nittos are more of what I want since this is my daily driver. Also it gives me the look I want. It is going to look so good when I get them! I post it when I get them. Going to save up for a few month and get them in late November.

Thanks-Matt
MCDavis (10-02-19)
Old 10-02-19, 07:43 PM
mehotz
Driver School Candidate

Matt

So far I have 8K miles on the tires and my wife and I really like them. It is my wife's daily driver. I am running stock suspension and stock wheels and tire sizes. 265/60R18 114S XL - These are the tires I have on my vehicle now. The XL gives it a bit more capacity and side wall stiffness. I decided against the E rated and increasing the tire size because I knew it would be a few years before I figured out what I wanted to do with this vehicle. So far the on road ride feels like the stock tires, The noise has increased just a very very little. Mostly what you hear is a bit of tread wine.You only hear it on freshly paved roads. However the decibel meter app on my Iphone said no change in sound from driver seat and rear passenger seat. I have rotated the tires 2x so far and the tread wear is very uniform no crazy feathering. I have had it offload and mostly in sandy conditions. I have yet to really push it however it is an overland vehicle in FLORIDA. It is kind of hard to really push it. It cleans out well with mud. My wife loved driving it in the mud but it sucked for me because I cleaned it.

You mentioned gas mileage - No change from running the Bridgestones
You mentioned the BFG KM3 - I cannot comment on the KM3 I have no experience with them. I did run the 35 inch KM2 for30K and I was not that impressed. I like my 35 inch Maxxis Razrs head and shoulders better than the KM2. Keep in mind this is for a heavily modified Jeep Wrangler meant more for harder trails, rocks, MOAB, etc. HOWEVER, depending on what you want to do with the vehicle can help you determine Nitto vs BFG. The Ridge Grappler is a hybrid AT/MT. It is not a true MT like the KM3. I would think if you find yourself in big rocks and heavy wet mud 80% of the time you hit the trails go with theKM3. If you do 99% road and some moderate overlanding trails, I would go with the Nittos. I think if you determine the majority of the vehicle's use, you will have a clear pick in which tire would be good for your rig.
Thanks for the reply! Nittos gives me the most flexibity! I appreciate you comments. I am going to save for them and get them in late November. I post a photo to you once I get them! I have had this truck since December and I like it! The ride is great! I am going to keep it long term, so I want to match everything to stock specs. I am going to keep it serviced so I can have it for a long time! Lexus makes a great truck.
Stepsride (10-03-19)
Old 10-08-19, 05:16 AM
mehotz
Driver School Candidate

Default Tires!

I am also considering the Goodyear Duratrac in a 265/60/18. Any thoughts? I have this same make and model for my 2012 Lexus GX460.

Thanks-Matt Hotz
Old 10-08-19, 06:22 AM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

I ran Duratracs on my 2 door JK. I got 45K on those things. Great in the snow pretty low noise and comfortable ride. I was looking at the Ridge Grapplers and the DT for the GX and it the DT were a close second. I went with the Nitto’s because I never ran them before and the DT are a bit hard to get. I am not disappointed however the Duratracs are as good in my opinion.

Last edited by Stepsride; 10-08-19 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Oops spelling
Old 10-08-19, 09:44 AM
Rufio
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Go General

If you want something sorta beefy I would recommend the General AT2s. Mine are the stock diameter (I’m running a 17 in wheel though) and I got them on a deal at discount tire. Black Friday is coming. I want to say it was around $700 out the door here in OH.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rufio:
bbqsoup (10-22-19), Discount Tire (10-08-19), ltsr (10-08-19)
Old 10-22-19, 06:45 AM
mehotz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MCDavis
The KM3 is a heavyyyyyy tire, and I believe it's not available in anything but the LT rated E load. The Ridge Grappler in 265/60/18 is the P-rated SL load, meaning the tire weighs less and the ride will be more compliant with the less stiff sidewall.
I have the P-rated SL Ridge Grappler in 265/70/18 and it's a great tire so far. Have about 9k miles on mine.
GoodYear DuraTrack 265/60/18

The following 2 users liked this post by mehotz:
bbqsoup (10-22-19), Paveprince (12-13-19)
Old 10-22-19, 08:20 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

Before purchasing ... yes, read reviews ... but also read forum reviews. The BFG KO's are great if they balance, but many are "roadforce" resistant ... meaning out-of-round ... etc.
Old 10-23-19, 07:33 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

With BFG KOs on basically every other truck and SUV that i see, i did not realize so many of them are out of round...you would think that there would be a class action lawsuit by now...
Old 10-23-19, 09:56 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
With BFG KOs on basically every other truck and SUV that i see, i did not realize so many of them are out of round...you would think that there would be a class action lawsuit by now...
I personally experienced a brand new set to be out of round. Battled with Michelin tech support over it for a few days. My next set? same problem. I know people personally who also had the problem. In reality, it's probably just a small number of people out of the thousands they sell that has experience this issue -- I know you were being sarcastic and wanted to troll since you hate @ASE . It's personally disappointing since I have owned 2 sets of the original BFG KO and wore them down to the end and loved them.

Just to get back on topic, I am looking into Cooper Discoverer AT3/ATP in p-metric when i'm due.

Quick Reply: Looking for some advice on AT tires for the Gx460