Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rust under car advice - little spots

Old 04-17-19, 07:07 AM
UZ214
Lexus Champion

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default Rust under car advice - little spots

I did my brakes yesterday / just the fronts rotors pads/rotors, I got the car last year and its sitting at 30k miles now, its a 2015. Well when I took the wheels out I realized there were some rust spots that are just forming under the car at some areas. The brakes were a PIA because seems like the nuts and pins were sort of stuck (not rusted).

Anyways I was looking for maybe a spray or something that I can just put on and it does not get worse. Its not at a point where anything needs to be sanded and sprayed over.

Back in the old days I have seen people put used oil in the areas, not sure if that's recommended. I cam across Griot's Garage 11221 Rust Remover Gel ; as an option but wanted to check here on what you guys have done to address it.

thanks!
Old 04-17-19, 07:23 AM
situman
Lexus Champion

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214 View Post

Back in the old days I have seen people put used oil in the areas, not sure if that's recommended.

thanks!
Well that's how you season a cast iron pan to keep it from rusting. With fresh oil of course.
The following users liked this post: situman
Jacket (04-19-19)
Old 04-17-19, 07:59 AM
tigmd99
Lexus Test Driver

Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I would not do anything. Small rust spots under car are normal, esp at your location.
Old 04-17-19, 08:02 AM
kgbagent1
Rookie

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Check T4R.org 4th gen forums. I personally believe wire wheel, then Rust reformer, then Rustoleum High Performance enamel (brushed on) is the best solution.
Old 04-17-19, 09:33 AM
UZ214
Lexus Champion

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

yes I have seen that solution, but for that I need the car lifted; possibly pay someone to do it. I think I can wait couple of years and then get it address or should be taken care of right away?

I will try to post some pics of the spots.
thanks
Originally Posted by kgbagent1 View Post
Check T4R.org 4th gen forums. I personally believe wire wheel, then Rust reformer, then Rustoleum High Performance enamel (brushed on) is the best solution.
Old 04-17-19, 11:18 AM
kgbagent1
Rookie

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Just park that puppy in the driveway and use a wire wheel on a cordless drill. Wear old clothes and use a drop light. No need for a lift. Not fun but not difficult either.
The following users liked this post: kgbagent1
UZ214 (04-17-19)
Old 04-17-19, 12:30 PM
ASE
Driver

Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214 View Post
I did my brakes yesterday / just the fronts rotors pads/rotors, I got the car last year and its sitting at 30k miles now, its a 2015. Well when I took the wheels out I realized there were some rust spots that are just forming under the car at some areas.

Anyways I was looking for maybe a spray or something that I can just put on and it does not get worse. Its not at a point where anything needs to be sanded and sprayed over.

Back in the old days I have seen people put used oil in the areas, not sure if that's recommended. I cam across Griot's Garage 11221 Rust Remover Gel ; as an option but wanted to check here on what you guys have done to address it.

thanks!
Look at ACF-50 ... developed by the military for use on aircraft carriers to protect aircraft from (salt-air) corrosion. This product is raved in Europe by the motorcycling community where year-round commuting is common under wet weather conditions ... with motorcycles having many areas that trap moisture, creating spot area corrosion. Comes in a spray can and other containers for applying on large areas. For my use, this is the nuclear version of WD-40 from a surface protection standpoint. Link to product web site ...

https://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html

Here is the company blurb ...

ACF-50 is a state-of-the-art compound for controlling corrosion on aircraft electrical and avionics systems and airframes. ACF-50 kills the corrosion process with just one application and will last for 24 months. ACF-50 is qualified under Mil-C-81309E, and manufactured under ISO 9000 Certified Processes. ACF-50 holds written OEM approvals from: Gulfstream, Bombardier, ATR Regional Transport, Douglas/Boeing Helicopter, Bell/Textron, Robinson, Enstrom, Sikorsky, MD Helicopters, Schweitzer, Hiller, British Aerospace, Concorde Battery, Raytheon, Piper, Cessna, Pilatus, Beech, Van's, Extra, Air Tractor, Lake, Rolls-Royce, Britten-Norman, Learjet, McDonnell Douglas, and Canadair. T
The following users liked this post: ASE
UZ214 (04-17-19)
Old 04-17-19, 12:57 PM
ShrinkDoc
Lead Lap

Liked 21 Times in 20 Posts

I took my 2014 IS 350 F Sport into Ziebart. They found huge areas of rust and corrosion. After sanding down the rust, they put a coating to protect the car. My point, rust spreads quickly and what is done to protect our cars at the factory has severe limitations. My 04 INFINITI rusted out completely in 13 years, so it's not just Lexus. My neighbor took his Lexus SUV in and is asking for a completely new car due to the severity of the rust in the door panels and beneath the car.
The following users liked this post: ShrinkDoc
UZ214 (04-18-19)
Old 04-17-19, 02:49 PM
oubobcat
Rookie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I use fluid film. Get a rattle can and use small amounts. It does a really good job.
The following users liked this post: oubobcat
UZ214 (04-18-19)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: