GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil Consumption

Old 04-10-19, 08:37 AM
DWF1
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

I recently purchased a new 2019 GX. I'm planning a lengthy road trip soon. Do I need to keep an eye on oil level? What are the oil consumption characteristics of this engine?
Old 04-10-19, 09:13 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DWF1
I recently purchased a new 2019 GX. I'm planning a lengthy road trip soon. Do I need to keep an eye on oil level? What are the oil consumption characteristics of this engine?
i have a 14 and have not noticed any oil consumption between changes. However, depending on how many miles you have on it, I might do an oil change prior to your long trip.
Old 04-10-19, 01:08 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 979 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGX
i have a 14 and have not noticed any oil consumption between changes. However, depending on how many miles you have on it, I might do an oil change prior to your long trip.
I always change oil at 1,000 miles on a new car to purge the break-in particulates. Yes, the oil filter captures most ... but ...
Old 04-10-19, 01:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Unless your engine was built really poorly, new motors will consume next to nothing, especially a old skool NA motor like we have in the GX.

Side note on break in procedures:
-Vary RPM and avoid cruise if you can.
-Depends on your personal beliefs, but a 1k oil change is usually a good preventive thing. Factory fill isnt a special break in oil so no probs there as well.
Old 04-10-19, 01:44 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Thank you for the information.
Old 04-10-19, 01:58 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber

Side note on break in procedures:
-Vary RPM and avoid cruise if you can.
Definitely do variable speed driving to 1,000 miles before your long distance trip. Very important for proper break in.
Old 04-10-19, 02:11 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Originally Posted by ASE
Definitely do variable speed driving to 1,000 miles before your long distance trip. Very important for proper break in.
Good advice. I always do this with a new vehicle. I have about 600 miles of in town driving on it now.
Old 04-10-19, 02:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,557 Likes on 2,329 Posts

I've only got 55K miles but no hint of oil consumption. I haven't measured drain amounts but solidly on the full line after 4-5K miles. For what it is worth...IMO: I really don't expect internal consumption issues to be a problem on this engine.
Old 04-10-19, 02:59 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Follow what Lexus recommends. Doing anything more is just a waste of $$$$. But that is your call because it is your wallet.

If you don’t want to listen to Lexus, then these are valid points in this article: https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...motor-oil.html

Or Consumer Reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-for-your-car/

But, boringly, CR recommends......following your Owner’s Manual or your car computer.

Or here where VW dealer recommends 10k miles changes, even your 1st one: https://www.charlottevw.com/first-oi...rlotte-fl.html

Quick summary of everything above...3k oil changes is a waste of money in a modern car. You do NOT have to change before a long trip UNLESS your normal oil change interval falls within that trip. You do NOT have to change oil within first 1k miles...no facts at all from major manufacturers to back this claim up. Your car computer (and/or owner’s manual) is smarter than the internet. Trust it.

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-10-19 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 04:23 PM
lionsfan54
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

2010 with 73k here and went almost 5,000 miles and didn't consume a drop
The following 2 users liked this post by lionsfan54:
Acrad (04-10-19), Craigyyy (04-12-19)
Old 04-10-19, 04:38 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Follow what Lexus recommends. Doing anything more is just a waste of $$$$. But that is your call because it is your wallet.

If you don’t want to listen to Lexus, then these are valid points in this article: https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...motor-oil.html

But, boringly, CR recommends......following your Owner’s Manual or your car computer.

Or here where VW dealer recommends 10k miles changes, even your 1st one: https://www.charlottevw.com/first-oi...rlotte-fl.html

Quick summary of everything above...3k oil changes is a waste of money in a modern car. You do NOT have to change before a long trip UNLESS your normal oil change interval falls within that trip. You do NOT have to change oil within first 1k miles...no facts at all from major manufacturers to back this claim up. Your car computer (and/or owner’s manual) is smarter than the internet. Trust it.
Lexus vehicles typically dont have a Oil Life monitor, only a maintenance reminder which is reset after each oil change; Lexus has yet to implement a system similar to what other makers use in their vehicles which takes into count duty cycles, engine load and rpm, and other information it can assess.
Old 04-10-19, 05:09 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99

Everyone has a vested interest. Quickie-Lube businesses say 3,000 miles to drive sales. Manufacturers say 10,000 miles given their interest ends when the warranty period ends ... combined with wanting to be up-front sales competitive by representing "low(er) maintenance" when compared to the competition.

Just bought a 2019 Gx460 ... Lexus says first oil change at 10,000 miles. Lexus dealership says 5,000 miles ... Hmmmm

My vehicles are long-term ... so I use judgement based on what I have seen as a Certified Master Mechanic versus trusting that any auto manufacturer recommendation favors my interest beyond their warranty vested interest.
Old 04-10-19, 05:16 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Lexus vehicles typically dont have a Oil Life monitor, only a maintenance reminder which is reset after each oil change; Lexus has yet to implement a system similar to what other makers use in their vehicles which takes into count duty cycles, engine load and rpm, and other information it can assess.
You know as a new owner of a 2019 GX I find this absurd. I have a 2001 Chevrolet base Tahoe that I bought new in the year 2000 and it measures cold starts, distance, etc to determine oil change intervals. Good grief --Toyota's premier line is not up to Chevrolet technology from almost 20 years ago?!
Old 04-10-19, 05:21 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Everyone has a vested interest. Quickie-Lube businesses say 3,000 miles to drive sales. Manufacturers say 10,000 miles given their interest ends when the warranty period ends ... combined with wanting to be up-front sales competitive by representing "low(er) maintenance" when compared to the competition.

Just bought a 2019 Gx460 ... Lexus says first oil change at 10,000 miles. Lexus dealership says 5,000 miles ... Hmmmm

My vehicles are long-term ... so I use judgement based on what I have seen as a Certified Master Mechanic versus trusting that any auto manufacturer recommendation favors my interest beyond their warranty vested interest.
yeah, well, we disagree on most of recent topics. I trust the Owner’s Manual. Trees were cut down for our reading pleasures. Don’t let them die in vain!

Not sure about your dealership, but my dealership recommends tire rotations and inspection every 5k...but oil change every 10k.

You’re a Certified Master Mechanic? And you did not know about unsprung weight?
Old 04-10-19, 05:23 PM
tigmd99
Racer

You know as a new owner of a 2019 GX I find this absurd. I have a 2001 Chevrolet base Tahoe that I bought new in the year 2000 and it measures cold starts, distance, etc to determine oil change intervals. Good grief --Toyota's premier line is not up to Chevrolet technology from almost 20 years ago?!
You can always do 5k mile oil changes.......and then send it off to Blackstone for oil analysis. Then go from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Consumption