GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

AVS - Adaptive Variable Suspension discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 06:21 PM
Skjulka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb AVS - Adaptive Variable Suspension discussion

there is not much difference between Sport, Normal and Comfort suspension settings. In 2018 Lexus’ gx 460
is it just placebo

Last edited by Skjulka; 03-26-19 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 03-26-19, 06:45 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Same here. I don't feel much difference. So, i just leave it in the middle and figure that more fiddling may decrease its lifespan.
Old 03-26-19, 07:05 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Depends on how you drive it and what your definition of the three settings is. I can tell a nice difference when I use "SPORT" on a nice twisty patch near my house. It's not sports car level performance by any means but it is a noticeable improvement over the other two settings. And this is on a 2012 with 117k...
The following users liked this post:
RoadDawg (03-27-19)
Old 03-26-19, 07:06 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Romanova
Depends on how you drive it and what your definition of the three settings is. I can tell a nice difference when I use "SPORT" on a nice twisty patch near my house. It's not sports car level performance by any means but it is a noticeable improvement over the other two settings. And this is on a 2012 with 117k...
Well that may explain it...i drive like a grandma...oh well.
Old 03-26-19, 07:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I can definitely tell a difference on mine too. Get into the corners and sport mode holds road far better. I also notice a smoother ride on the freeway going over expansion joints in Comfort mode, I don’t really use Normal mode.
The following 3 users liked this post by Acrad:
E3PO (09-23-23), GX763 (03-27-19), RoadDawg (03-27-19)
Old 03-26-19, 07:23 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I can feel the differences too. I usually in Normal and use Comfort when shuttling the family around. It is softer and has more bounces when going over dips freeway imperfections. You can definitely feel the jolts in Sport more.

This is not the first time I've seen post like this. I wonder if Lexus changed it up a bit between the older years and new ones.
Old 03-26-19, 07:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Overwrote my comments... actuators are multi-step and thought adjust while driving within setting as well as emergency settings.

Might just be 16 step usable though

Last edited by Acrad; 03-26-19 at 07:44 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Acrad:
MP692 (03-27-19), Piney1 (12-29-23), RoadDawg (03-27-19), Slprciv (12-28-23), tigmd99 (03-27-19), User21c (03-27-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-26-19, 09:43 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Skjulka
there is not much difference between Sport, Normal and Comfort suspension settings. In 2018 Lexus’ gx 460
is it just placebo
Had it on a 2008 Lexus GX470 ... and yes, it was a very expensive (placebo) option in my opinion. When the shocks needed replacement, there was no way I was going to spend 3-4 times the money on OEM replacements ... went with Bilstein's ... huge improvement in directional stability, control and handling while maintaining a smooth ride.
Old 03-27-19, 04:39 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Had it on a 2008 Lexus GX470 ... and yes, it was a very expensive (placebo) option in my opinion. When the shocks needed replacement, there was no way I was going to spend 3-4 times the money on OEM replacements ... went with Bilstein's ... huge improvement in directional stability, control and handling while maintaining a smooth ride.
For me, i went from stock to Bilsteins on my 2002 4runner. Huge disappointment. Ride was worst, kidney-hurting type ride, esp off-road with every rutted hill/hole. Sure handling was a bit better, but that is not that needed since 4runner is not a sports car. I actually went back to stock shocks.

So, even if AVS on my GX wears out, i will replace it with stock. No way i am going to Bilsteins. Pay to play i guess.

This was what i wrote back in the day regarding Bilsteins:

"As you know, on my '02 4runner, i changed my factory shocks to Bilsteins about 7 months ago. Bilsteins have always been one of the most highly recommended upgrade to the 4Runner (3rd gen). Thus, i thought it would help.

Since getting Bilsteins, i have noticed a few things:
- Ride is firmer...SIGNIFICANTLY firmer.
- Less body roll...slightly less.
- Less brake dive...excellent.
- Less wind wander...excellent.
- More control over bumps...yes, but ride is sacrificed. More jerkiness.

Well, today, i switched back to the factory (OEM--Tokico twin-tube low-pressure) shocks. Let me tell you, the ride is soooo much better! Sooo much smoother. You do not feel every zit in the pavement...let's not mention broken pavement. Yeah, over big undulations, there is slight "floatiness" with factory shocks; however, with Bilsteins, the motion is more abrupt over the same undulation (jerking) and not as smoooooth. There is slightly more body sway around corners than Bilsteins. And these observations are with heavier than stock tires (same size, but BFG AT).

In fact, Toyota has DIFFERENT shocks for the 3rd gen 4Runner, depending on TIRE SIZE! Bilsteins does not. Bilstein only differentiates 2wd from 4wd models.

So, in conclusion, IF you have stock springs & shocks, then do NOT upgrade to aftermarket stuff. That combo is the perfect compromise in my opinion. If you have aftermarket springs, then my recommendation goes out the window. "

Last edited by tigmd99; 03-27-19 at 04:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ballistice (03-13-22)
Old 03-27-19, 05:29 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I am waiting for the reports in the future on crawl retrofitted '10-'13 base and '14+ base/premium models resold and new owners who report that their AVS/RAHC isn't working or they can tell the difference between modes. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
ltsr (05-01-19), Nytron (11-03-22)
Old 03-27-19, 07:04 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

When I first got my car I couldn't tell a difference between the modes. Over time, the difference became more apparent, but it's definitely still subtle. Comfort is noticeably more bouncy than Sport. I'll switch to Sport for some highway interchanges near me but other than that I generally leave it in Normal.

I think the easiest way to tell is to drive over the same speed bump (or speed hump) in Sport and in Comfort.
Old 03-27-19, 07:40 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
For me, i went from stock to Bilsteins on my 2002 4runner. Huge disappointment. Ride was worst, kidney-hurting type ride, esp off-road with every rutted hill/hole. Sure handling was a bit better, but that is not that needed since 4runner is not a sports car. I actually went back to stock shocks.

So, even if AVS on my GX wears out, i will replace it with stock. No way i am going to Bilsteins. Pay to play i guess.

This was what i wrote back in the day regarding Bilsteins:

"As you know, on my '02 4runner, i changed my factory shocks to Bilsteins about 7 months ago. Bilsteins have always been one of the most highly recommended upgrade to the 4Runner (3rd gen). Thus, i thought it would help.

Since getting Bilsteins, i have noticed a few things:
- Ride is firmer...SIGNIFICANTLY firmer.
- Less body roll...slightly less.
- Less brake dive...excellent.
- Less wind wander...excellent.
- More control over bumps...yes, but ride is sacrificed. More jerkiness.

Well, today, i switched back to the factory (OEM--Tokico twin-tube low-pressure) shocks. Let me tell you, the ride is soooo much better! Sooo much smoother. You do not feel every zit in the pavement...let's not mention broken pavement. Yeah, over big undulations, there is slight "floatiness" with factory shocks; however, with Bilsteins, the motion is more abrupt over the same undulation (jerking) and not as smoooooth. There is slightly more body sway around corners than Bilsteins. And these observations are with heavier than stock tires (same size, but BFG AT).

In fact, Toyota has DIFFERENT shocks for the 3rd gen 4Runner, depending on TIRE SIZE! Bilsteins does not. Bilstein only differentiates 2wd from 4wd models.

So, in conclusion, IF you have stock springs & shocks, then do NOT upgrade to aftermarket stuff. That combo is the perfect compromise in my opinion. If you have aftermarket springs, then my recommendation goes out the window. "
For the price, replacing the OEM shocks with the same is highway robbery when all they do is cater to the "epidural" (comfort) crowd that would be better served purchasing a unibody "SUV" that is essentially a passenger car pretending to have offroad capability. To impose shocks that provide "marshmallow handling" on the GX in the interest of "comfort" is a crime to those who know the difference.
Old 03-27-19, 07:42 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
For the price, replacing the OEM shocks with the same is highway robbery when all they do is cater to the "epidural" (comfort) crowd that would be better served purchasing a unibody "SUV" that is essentially a passenger car pretending to have offroad capability. To impose shocks that provide "marshmallow handling" on the GX in the interest of "comfort" is a crime to those who know the difference.
Oh come on! You’re saying that stocks shocks is the limiting factor in off-roading?!! LOL
Old 03-27-19, 07:46 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Oh come on! You’re saying that stocks shocks is the limiting factor in off-roading?!! LOL
Did I say that? All I'm saying is that for the price ... purchase or replacement ... the stock GX shocks SUCK when compared to alterrmatives.
Old 03-27-19, 08:30 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Did I say that? All I'm saying is that for the price ... purchase or replacement ... the stock GX shocks SUCK when compared to alterrmatives.
That’s your opinion i guess. Sorry, been there, done that with Bilsteins (on stock springs). It’s several steps back in overall ride. Waste of money.

Quick Reply: AVS - Adaptive Variable Suspension discussion