GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 - Top end struggles

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 08:36 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ltsr

i think there’s just too many factors at play in this thread. Others can live in areas with higher elevation, past/current experience with faster vehicles or just a poorly maintained GX. The mixed answers in this thread tells us that. Toyota keeps their engines underpowered probably for reliability.
Lexus is not moving along with technology advancement. Germans keep making smaller more fuel efficient snappy engines continuously. Generation change for GX460 is overdue.
Old 03-23-19, 08:38 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Lexus is not moving along with technology advancement. Germans keep making smaller more fuel efficient snappy engines continuously. Generation change for GX460 is overdue.
they don’t advance for a reason. Some of us like the GX for what it is, old design and reliable but slow. The GX is getting a refresh soon.
The following users liked this post:
brutus27 (10-19-21)
Old 03-23-19, 08:46 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ltsr

they don’t advance for a reason. Some of us like the GX for what it is, old design and reliable but slow. The GX is getting a refresh soon.
For some reliability is number one issue, for some it is not. When I buy a car with some known reliability issues I get extra extended warranty.
Last week wife's small German car had an oil leak out of the blue. It cost not a dime, otherwise labor charge alone would've cost ~400.00. For
two days down time she was given brand new loaner.
Old 03-24-19, 06:45 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a lot to be said for an engine designed to put out less than 70 bhp/liter. And when it's a big one like the 4.6 liter V8, you end up with an engine that barely has to work to give a driver of a big SUV enough power along with ridiculous longevity. BMW, Mercedes, etc.--they like something more approaching 100 bhp/liter. There, you're talking more problems along with more performance. In a big SUV that is really used off-road that doesn't sound so wonderful. "Fuel efficient and snappy." Bah humbug (for the GX, anyway).

Incidentally, I did find a way to improve my daily fuel economy by just a little bit: Go into Settings and turn off the automatic air conditioning. Damned thing runs all winter if you let it (and yes, I know that you do want it for defrosting).
Old 03-24-19, 07:31 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

For some reliability is number one issue, for some it is not. When I buy a car with some known reliability issues I get extra extended warranty.
Last week wife's small German car had an oil leak out of the blue. It cost not a dime, otherwise labor charge alone would've cost ~400.00. For
two days down time she was given brand new loaner.
no thanks. I rather not buy ext warranty. Paying extra because carmaker cannot make things reliable is just stupid in my opinion.
Old 03-24-19, 07:58 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RoadDawg
There is a lot to be said for an engine designed to put out less than 70 bhp/liter. And when it's a big one like the 4.6 liter V8, you end up with an engine that barely has to work to give a driver of a big SUV enough power along with ridiculous longevity. BMW, Mercedes, etc.--they like something more approaching 100 bhp/liter. There, you're talking more problems along with more performance. In a big SUV that is really used off-road that doesn't sound so wonderful. "Fuel efficient and snappy." Bah humbug (for the GX, anyway).

Incidentally, I did find a way to improve my daily fuel economy by just a little bit: Go into Settings and turn off the automatic air conditioning. Damned thing runs all winter if you let it (and yes, I know that you do want it for defrosting).
4.6 is a big one? All depends on personal choice. Certain crowd buying Lexus, certain crowd buying German brand. I drive what I like. There are many choices out there. One I never touch is a Land Rover vehicles.
Old 03-24-19, 08:12 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

For what is out there these days in terms of engines the 4.6L in the GX is certainly outdated, Lexus knows that. They no longer are pursing NA V8 engines to put into vehicles, and have gone FI V6 in the LS500. Same is expected with maybe electrification on the new 300 series chassis for the 2021 LX/LC. So when and if the GX is not refreshed but redesigned with a new chassis, expect the same.

Plus reliability is the game Lexus plays, and if FI was unreliable I wonder why they launched a high sales lineup of FI 2.0 motors in the IS,GS, NX, and not for sale in NADM RX....

In regards to the OP, did you try manual mode?
Old 03-25-19, 06:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I find the GX deceptively fast and can go 70mph effortlessly. Almost too effortlessly. The times that I do let off the gas when I see a cop, I actually wish it loses speed quicker, but maybe not since I dont want to give the impression that im braking.
Old 03-25-19, 06:54 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

4.6 is a big one? All depends on personal choice. Certain crowd buying Lexus, certain crowd buying German brand. I drive what I like. There are many choices out there. One I never touch is a Land Rover vehicles.
Well, it's smaller than 5.7, which would seem to be the next step up. Put it this way. Let us know in the future if you EVER see a non-exotic, passably reliable SUV less than Land Cruiser size with a bigger one. I drive what I like, too. Sheesh.
Old 03-25-19, 01:05 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Didn’t try manual mode, I use manual extensively when the roads are not plowed in snow. Keeping in a low gear helps a lot.

Originally Posted by coolsaber
For what is out there these days in terms of engines the 4.6L in the GX is certainly outdated, Lexus knows that. They no longer are pursing NA V8 engines to put into vehicles, and have gone FI V6 in the LS500. Same is expected with maybe electrification on the new 300 series chassis for the 2021 LX/LC. So when and if the GX is not refreshed but redesigned with a new chassis, expect the same.

Plus reliability is the game Lexus plays, and if FI was unreliable I wonder why they launched a high sales lineup of FI 2.0 motors in the IS,GS, NX, and not for sale in NADM RX....

In regards to the OP, did you try manual mode?
Old 10-18-21, 10:30 AM
pecx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a GX about 2 months ago and experiencing the same thing and it's been bothering since day 1. How do we fix this ?
Will throttle controller help ?
Old 10-18-21, 10:40 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
I can't say I have noticed this behavior or forgot about it since I have been running Pedal Commander. I'm normally around 78MPH on stretches of I-90 here in WA state. Only time I found issues was driving this speed with 40-45MPH headwinds. I slowed down for that. Vehicle does get especially dirty on the rear door. PC is simple to install and remove and money back guarantee if you don't like it.
100%. Headwinds + incline (and or + high elevation) is a definite Achilles’ heel for the GX460.

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
In my experience my GX can cruise all day at 90mph pretty effortlessly.

Foot to the floor it'll pull very strong all the way up to the limiter. Fuel cut at the limiter is fairly abrupt though.

But yeah it's a huge brick on wheels. You've gotta use more fuel to go faster.
Especially in sport mode. Had to pass a line of trucks and I didn’t see the speedo but around ~100 it just shut off rather abruptly and I felt like the truck still had more to give. Did I hit the rev limiter in 5th and the vehicle not shift to 6th because of sport mode?
Old 10-18-21, 04:05 PM
NiteDipper
Rookie

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

"Inverse square law" and the 'Brick' come into play at high speeds. When considering wind resistance, it takes 16 times more power for the BRICK Lexus GX to travel at the same speed as a more aerodynamically efficient vehicle with 1/4 the wind resistance.
There would be the same differential in power when the fuel is removed and wind slows both vehicles. This would account for the "quick slow down sensation" of the GX when fuel is removed at high speed.
Wind resistance (power) is exponential not linear. If 10HP is required to travel at 100MPH into a given wind it would require 10HP x 10HP = 100HP to travel at twice the speed, 200MPH. Power would need to be squared to overcome 2 times the wind speed.

Last edited by NiteDipper; 10-18-21 at 04:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (10-18-21)
Old 10-18-21, 04:21 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteDipper
"Inverse square law" and the 'Brick' come into play at high speeds. When considering wind resistance, it takes 16 times more power for the BRICK Lexus GX to travel at the same speed as a more aerodynamically efficient vehicle with 1/4 the wind resistance.
There would be the same differential in power when the fuel is removed and wind slows both vehicles. This would account for the "quick slow down sensation" of the GX when fuel is removed at high speed.
Wind resistance (power) is exponential not linear. If 10HP is required to travel at 100MPH into a given wind it would require 10HP x 10HP = 100HP to travel at twice the speed, 200MPH. Power would need to be squared to overcome 2 times the wind speed.
100% agree.
Old 10-19-21, 06:59 PM
brutus27
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
In my experience my GX can cruise all day at 90mph pretty effortlessly.

Foot to the floor it'll pull very strong all the way up to the limiter. Fuel cut at the limiter is fairly abrupt though.

But yeah it's a huge brick on wheels. You've gotta use more fuel to go faster.
Pretty much my experience also. I cruise here in Texas on the toll roads pretty regularly at 85 mph and higher (to pass). I will average 16 -19 mpg with combining toll rd speeds with regular 70 mph highway driving. I also have PC so don't notice the top end struggles OP is referring to. You will feel the breadbox on wheels effect driving into a heavy headwind!