2019 gx 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 11:27 AM
12thManGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 gx 460

Question for newer GX owners:
What are the must have options? Is it worth getting the Lux pack or stick to Base for long-term reliability (no air suspension)?
How is the 4x4 system in real winter conditions? Is the V8 strong enough for the larger SUV?
Any rumors or truths about re-design and switch over to Unibody?

The only other Lexus I have had has been a GS350 AWD - 2013, Currently have a Jeep GC-Summit V8

Thank you
-RG
Old 03-06-19, 01:51 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thManGS
What are the must have options? Is it worth getting the Lux pack or stick to Base for long-term reliability (no air suspension)?
How is the 4x4 system in real winter conditions? Is the V8 strong enough for the larger SUV?

The only other Lexus I have had has been a GS350 AWD - 2013, Currently have a Jeep GC-Summit V8

Thank you
-RG
I went with 2018 base plus premium package because I absolutely hate air suspension. Air suspension has a shorter lifespan than conventional. Although have 360 camera would be nice. The 4x4 system works ok but any RWD with good winter tire can beat 4x4 with stock tire. V8 is sufficient and plenty of torque. No news or rumor on redesign yet.
Old 03-06-19, 02:01 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

http://www.pressroom.lexus.com/relea...s+kit.download

GX Luxury
o Includes all Premium interior features, plus:
▪ Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)
▪ Auto-leveling rear air suspension
▪ Semi-aniline leather interior trim
▪ Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
▪ Wood and leather-trimmed heated steering wheel
▪ Power-reclining and folding third-row seats
▪ Headlamp washers
▪ Cargo-area Tonneau cover

Beyond the adaptive suspension, there are other good features of Luxury package.

And if you want more safety features like Pre-Collision, then you MUST get Luxury package PLUS Driver Support package: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-package.html
Old 03-06-19, 02:15 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you
-RG
As for the 4wd system, it is one of the best, if not the best IMO. “The system uses a 40:60 torque split in most driving situations and alters that in response to slippage. If the front wheels are slipping while the vehicle is turning, the Torsen® differential changes the split to 30:70. If the rear wheels slip while the vehicle is turning, the differential changes to a 53:47 split.”

Center diff is lockable for 50/50 spilt. It has A-TRAC (and stability control) for general traction purposes and then you have CRAWL (if you get Driver’s Support package) which effectively simulates a locker at each axle...and is superior to any Jeep 4wd system off-road. And KDSS offers better wheel articulation than Jeep GC and is icing on the cake.

V8 is not as fast as your Jeep. 0-60 around 7.0-7.5 by most publications...but plenty of power on the highway for passing. Transmission is only 6 gears but very reliable and shifts buttery smooth with no hesitation like the newer 8-10 speeds autos.

As for next gen, I doubt Toyota will go weak. They have to design the 4runner/Prado for oversea use...that means BOF and likely rear axle. But that is 101% guess on my part. Every 4runner generation is met with fear...and everytime, Toyota comes through with mild evolution of the current platform.

Last edited by tigmd99; 03-06-19 at 02:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lando2012 (03-14-19)
Old 03-06-19, 02:42 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You really have to look at what your preferences are. When I purchased mine, I really wanted the Premium with heated and vented seats, three climate zones, parking assist, etc.
What I did not want was the height control considering that it only raises or lowers the rear and then levels out over 15 MPH, useless.
Another item I don't care about is the ride comfort settings (sport, comfort and whatever).

Considering I raised my rig several inches, added 34" tires, lockers front and rear along with re-gearing both diff's, those two issues above were just deleted when I modded my rig.
But my family and I LOVE all the other features in Premium!

Note, my GX is a 2013 so a Luxury level of trim wasn't available.
What I wish I did have was:
  • Multi Terrain (M/T) control (Canada only)
  • Crawl Control (Canada only)
  • Radar cruise control (probably never be able to add that mod)
  • Proximity cameras. (available only on models newer than mine)
M/T and Crawl Control I will be adding, it's a simple add on.
Cameras, maybe. That will require a little more effort.

Anyways, just my two cents worth.
Lando2012 (03-14-19)
Old 03-06-19, 03:07 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I opted for a 2019 Premium. It had the options I really cared about including BSM, 3-zone climate and heated/cooled seats. I actually think the "fake" leather is nicer than the real leather and is supposed to be more durable. I plan on lifting it so I didn't care about the rear air suspension and the base stereo system sounds perfectly acceptable to me. I do miss the adaptive cruise control that my 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT had, but it was not worth the extra cost of adding the luxury package in order to get that.

To summarize, I feel Premium is packed with the best mix of options to suit most buyers.
Old 03-06-19, 04:55 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Thank you
-RG
The GX is probably the most robust 4x4 you can buy in any spec level, its pushing a decade worth of on road experience which is immense.

The GX is usually found in 2 majority specs; base/lease special and premium as they are probably the most popular out of the bunch.

The luxury is found in limited quantities, and even more so with the driver assist pack.

I`d wager unless you tow, need the 270 cam (its not 360 degrees cam as the driver side is not included for some reason), cant live without the ML audio pack, or need an outdated Safety Suite you`ll be fine with the anything Premium. The base is a solid vehicle but the premium is just a bit better for not too much additional cost.

GX Luxury is a tough sell to those who are seeking the max value/$ on a new purchase/lease. Its way too expensive for what you are getting, but if you want something i guess you get it.
Old 03-06-19, 05:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I guess another way of saying "standard on all trims" for '19.

New Optional Features:
- "Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert available as no charge option"

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...+press+kit.htm
Old 03-07-19, 10:42 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I would wait for 2020 GX. Look at the 2020 4Runner:
https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-apple-carplay
In my opinion, it's not possible to sell 4Runner with all these options and keep GX not updated.
Old 03-07-19, 11:33 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I would wait for 2020 GX. Look at the 2020 4Runner:
https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-apple-carplay
In my opinion, it's not possible to sell 4Runner with all these options and keep GX not updated.
2020 4runner is pretty much unchanged. Those minor tech add on is negligible consider their targeted buyers. 4runner only has v6 and 5 speed. So GX still has an upper hand when compare to 4runner.
Lando2012 (03-14-19)
Old 03-08-19, 04:37 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't really understand the allure with Apple carplay. Maybe b/c I don't use an iPhone, I could care less...the current headunit in the GX allows me to make and receive calls and texts on my Android. Not really sure what else I would possibly need. Of course, I'm not one of these fools who stays glued to their phone while driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by oksir83:
MCDavis (03-08-19), r2m (03-08-19)
Old 03-08-19, 06:25 AM
Beachy
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you use an iPhone, CarPlay is very nice as it’s basically a mirroring of IOS on your dash. For apple users it’s kind of the last piece of the puzzle of integration. It also functions smoother than Entune based platforms and offers proper navigation through ease and apps (some CarPlay has more options than others.)

My trade in had CarPlay and it’s the only thing I miss on my GX.

For OP: I went with the premium as I am bugged by safety controls that brake or steer for me, prefer simplicity in suspension, and had my needs met with the premium level trim.

Good luck in your choice !

Old 03-08-19, 06:58 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Huge advantage is not relying on a car manufacture’s user interface on their touchscreen (excepting any vehicle-specific settings, radio, climate control, etc.). The mobile device manufacturers have spent countless dollars and time in evolving the user experience since this is a huge selling point in the market.

Whether it’s Android or iOS, think about how much has changed on cellphones since Lexus introduced the current interface systems on our trucks. CarPlay isn’t tied-down to Toyota’s relatively ancient user experience and allows third party navigation apps such as Google Maps and Waze (which are continually upgraded to enhance usability) to be displayed on the large nav screen. Plus these maps are always up to date, free of charge, and have much more advanced functions than what’s included or will ever be possible on the OEM operating system.

It’s a good thing to leave this type of technology to the companies whose entire business model is hinged on interface design.
Old 03-08-19, 06:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by psun786
The 4x4 system works ok
I disagree. The 4wd system is one of the best out there and beyond just "ok". It powered through a snowstorm like it wasnt even snowing.
Old 03-08-19, 09:05 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Got the Premium. One of the things i miss is the Mark Levinson - Only available in Luxury. If you carry around passengers, like kids in the back, the additional speaker will help with the quality of sound being produced in the rear. The non-ML sound system sounds muddy in the rear.
The driver assist package is convenient and will help with the "360" camera.
If you do tow a lot, the rear adaptive suspension is a big plus.

the crawl, and mts can be added later with the premium models if those are options you are wanting.

Quick Reply: 2019 gx 460