GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2019 gx 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 02:03 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

IMHO BSM is the only safety feature really worth it and the only one I care anything about. We have 2 other vehicles with adaptive cruise and I always disable it as it just seems to cause more issues. Same goes for the automatic braking. Nothing like cruising down the interstate in my wife's 5500lb Benz GL and having the brakes engage because a truck in the next lane decides to exit and they touch the center line in the process of slowing down. Lane departure is ok but really just a nuisance and I get sick of seeing that coffee cup on the screen. YMMV, but annoying nanny features are further down on the list of why I buy a particular vehicle. A ****box with acc, ldw and bsm is still a ****box, but I guess those features appeal to some folks and help with the sales.

Last edited by oksir83; 03-10-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 02:16 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
IMHO BSM is the only safety feature really worth it and the only one I care anything about. We have 2 other vehicles with adaptive cruise and I always disable it as it just seems to cause more issues. Same goes for the automatic braking. Nothing like cruising down the interstate in my wife's 5500lb Benz GL and having the brakes engage because a truck in the next lane decides to exit and they touch the center line in the process of slowing down. Lane departure is ok but really just a nuisance and I get sick of seeing that coffee cup on the screen. YMMV, but annoying nanny features are further down on the list of why I buy a particular vehicle.
Couldn't agree with you more. With my LX, I have LDA disabled all the time and only used few times with adaptive cruise. The issue with adaptive cruise, even with closest distance setting, there is still quite of distance to front vehicle, which resulted constantly with other vehicles cutting into the lane, and making my vehicle further reduce the speed to maintain so call the safe distance.
Old 03-10-19, 02:19 PM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by hzhao
Couldn't agree with you more. With my LX, I have LDA disabled all the time and only used few times with adaptive cruise. The issue with adaptive cruise, even with closest distance setting, there is still quite of distance to front vehicle, which resulted constantly with other vehicles cutting into the lane, and making my vehicle further reduce the speed to maintain so call the safe distance.
Exactly...I find myself manually overriding it and speeding up to keep vehicles from constantly cutting in front of me, so it kind of defeats the purpose. My Jeep was nice because I had the option to disable it and just use traditional CC.
Old 03-10-19, 03:10 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE

Anyone who has not purchased, but are close to pulling the trigger ... DO NOT purchase from Lexus of Bellevue ...they have gone all “shell game” when representing the numbers ... very slimy tactics, which is a huge shift from my 2010 purchase experience.
Are they still doing the Lexus Plus program, which is supposed to make buying "simpler"?
Old 03-10-19, 03:17 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Exactly...I find myself manually overriding it and speeding up to keep vehicles from constantly cutting in front of me, so it kind of defeats the purpose. My Jeep was nice because I had the option to disable it and just use traditional CC.
You can switch to traditional cruise (constant speed cruise) with GX radar cruise system as well, just push down the cruise level for more than two seconds, you should see the cruise indicator in the cluster change from "Dynamic Cruise" (a green speedometer with a car symbol) to the "Standard Cruise" (a green speedometer with an arrow on top symbol).
Old 03-10-19, 03:26 PM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by hzhao
You can switch to traditional cruise (constant speed cruise) with GX radar cruise system as well, just push down the cruise level for more than two seconds, you should see the cruise indicator in the cluster change from "Dynamic Cruise" (a green speedometer with a car symbol) to the "Standard Cruise" (a green speedometer with an arrow on top symbol).
That is good to know. My 2019 just has traditional cruise, which I am more than happy with. In theory, ACC sounds nice, but in real life situations it is more of a PITA to use, especially with interstates that have more volume.
Old 03-10-19, 04:41 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I use Adaptive Cruise everyday. Love it. A requirement for me. I drive highway everyday.
The following users liked this post:
Lando2012 (03-14-19)
Old 03-11-19, 09:50 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think adaptive cruise control was meant for commuter traffic. I would be impossible for it to work when one can only leave a car length so some other commuter doesn't cut in front and reduce the "safe" driving space designated in the adaptive cruise control software. I can only see it being of use on the open highway. For me it would be great on the 395 on up to Lake Tahoe!
Old 03-11-19, 10:50 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Adaptive cruise control is excellent on four lane highways with light congestion. It’s very convenient that the truck will slow itself when approaching a slower vehicle ahead and then resume your set speed once they move out of the way. It’s also nice on no-passing roads when driving behind another vehicle as the truck will maintain the set distance without any pedal input (especially when following another vehicle that isn’t using any form of cruise control and they’re constantly slowing when driving uphill and then speeding-up on the descent). I’m a huge fan but it definitely has its applications.
The following 3 users liked this post by elkaboing:
ClaytonW (03-11-19), Lando2012 (03-14-19), r2m (03-11-19)
Old 03-11-19, 10:55 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by elkaboing
Adaptive cruise control is excellent on four lane highways with light congestion. It’s very convenient that the truck will slow itself when approaching a slower vehicle ahead and then resume your set speed once they move out of the way. It’s also nice on no-passing roads when driving behind another vehicle as the truck will maintain the set distance without any pedal input (especially when following another vehicle that isn’t using any form of cruise control and they’re constantly slowing when driving uphill and then speeding-up on the descent). I’m a huge fan but it definitely has its applications.
Absolutely agree with the single lane, no passing highways!!! There's some of that on the Highway 395 and it drives me nuts why people CAN"T USE CRUISE CONTROL ON AN OPEN HIGHWAY!!! Especially when no one is in front of them. I can understand 25 or 35 years ago when cruise control was usually only an upgrade on most vehicles, but now, heck even motorcycles come with it!
People have to get over being paranoid about their vehicle being able to maintain its own speed!
The following 2 users liked this post by r2m:
ClaytonW (03-11-19), elkaboing (03-11-19)
Old 03-11-19, 10:56 AM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by r2m
I don't think adaptive cruise control was meant for commuter traffic. I would be impossible for it to work when one can only leave a car length so some other commuter doesn't cut in front and reduce the "safe" driving space designated in the adaptive cruise control software. I can only see it being of use on the open highway. For me it would be great on the 395 on up to Lake Tahoe!
I personally think it sucks even in light traffic, which is when I try to use it and typically just switch over to standard cruise.. No way in hell I'd ever use it on a crowded interstate. Even with light traffic, all it takes is one person camped out in the left lane and impatient drivers in the right lane who keep cutting in front of you b/c of the gap left in front of you and the slow vehicle ahead of you. If I could set the following distance to 1 car length then it would be a lot more useful. 100' is way too far, IMHO.

Last edited by oksir83; 03-11-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 01:04 PM
Lando2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really understand the allure with Apple carplay. Maybe b/c I don't use an iPhone, I could care less...the current headunit in the GX allows me to make and receive calls and texts on my Android. Not really sure what else I would possibly need. Of course, I'm not one of these fools who stays glued to their phone while driving.
One reason alone makes it important: Google maps. And if you're going off-road in an area where there is no cell service, you can download the maps of the area in advance, use your nav unit (assuming you have Apple Carplay) and it functions as an incredible in-dash gps wherever you are. And even if you're not off road but just navigating around town, google maps is far superior to any other mapping software in terms of avoiding traffic and accidents. The other items - streaming music, reading text messages to you, hands free text message responses, are all just icing on the cake.
Old 03-14-19, 01:09 PM
Lando2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think it sucks even in light traffic, which is when I try to use it and typically just switch over to standard cruise.. No way in hell I'd ever use it on a crowded interstate. Even with light traffic, all it takes is one person camped out in the left lane and impatient drivers in the right lane who keep cutting in front of you b/c of the gap left in front of you and the slow vehicle ahead of you. If I could set the following distance to 1 car length then it would be a lot more useful. 100' is way too far, IMHO.
We have company cars with ACC and require our people to use it. It only takes a second of inattention in stop and go traffic to be in a rear-end accident. ACC won't allow that accident to happen. If you think the follow distance isn't close enough just because everyone drives like rageaholic a-holes, that's not really a reflection on the tech, but rather an indictment of society.

Also, ACC varies widely among vehicles. My 2015 Land Cruiser's sucked - shut off below 20mph. My 2016 Ridgeline's was fine, but shut off below 24mph. Tesla - basically flawless and also changes lanes by itself. 2018 Ford F-150 - actually will follow pretty close at the closest setting! Plus, people are less likely to cutoff a full sized truck.
Old 03-14-19, 01:18 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Lando2012
We have company cars with ACC and require our people to use it. It only takes a second of inattention in stop and go traffic to be in a rear-end accident. ACC won't allow that accident to happen. If you think the follow distance isn't close enough just because everyone drives like rageaholic a-holes, that's not really a reflection on the tech, but rather an indictment of society.

Also, ACC varies widely among vehicles. My 2015 Land Cruiser's sucked - shut off below 20mph. My 2016 Ridgeline's was fine, but shut off below 24mph. Tesla - basically flawless and also changes lanes by itself. 2018 Ford F-150 - actually will follow pretty close at the closest setting! Plus, people are less likely to cutoff a full sized truck.
I agree. I pretty much always use Adaptive Cruise when driving to work/home everyday. I can always over-ride it etc.. The key is that it is like a 3rd eye.....just in case i get distracted. I don’t care if it doesn’t do traffic...that’s not what i need. I care about high speed travel and having ACC backing my eyes up is a plus.

Same with BSM...you never know when the sun hits that rear view mirror at that perfect angle to blind you or that morning mildew fogging up the mirror or in a rainstorm.
Old 03-17-19, 04:25 AM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Picked up my 19 Premium last Sunday from Lexus of Tacoma (Fife) - traded in my 17 4Runner SR5

Quick Reply: 2019 gx 460