ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023-219/)
-   -   Front Struts and Rear Shocks (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023/912609-front-struts-and-rear-shocks.html)

LFIL 02-25-19 12:25 PM

Front Struts and Rear Shocks

We have a 2013 GX460 with about 91,000 miles on it. We took it to a local garage with a good reputation for an oil change and inspection. They called and said the front struts are leaking and worn out and the rear shocks are also worn out and the replacement will cost $1,175. They said the tires are cupping as a result. We've never had any struts or shocks replaced on any vehicle, although only one we've owned has had higher mileage than this. Also, the price sounds pretty steep. Any advice? Are we getting taken for a ride? We have to decide if we want them to order the parts and do the repair.

tigmd99 02-25-19 12:29 PM

Does your GX have adaptive suspension or just regular?

LFIL 02-25-19 01:16 PM

By adaptive do you mean air suspension? If so, then no, just regular.

rmason 02-25-19 01:28 PM

91k on the original struts aren't that bad and at least to me here in Los Angeles is very normal.
I've had the struts leak after 60k on my previous vehicle. DIY can be done with most regular tools with exception of spring compressors which can be borrowed and an impact driver.
Compressed springs are quite dangerous if not careful. The price given appears normal for all 4 replacements. imho.

good luck.

supperfly1 02-25-19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by LFIL (Post 10450672)
We have a 2013 GX460 with about 91,000 miles on it. We took it to a local garage with a good reputation for an oil change and inspection. They called and said the front struts are leaking and worn out and the rear shocks are also worn out and the replacement will cost $1,175. They said the tires are cupping as a result. We've never had any struts or shocks replaced on any vehicle, although only one we've owned has had higher mileage than this. Also, the price sounds pretty steep. Any advice? Are we getting taken for a ride? We have to decide if we want them to order the parts and do the repair.

I call bs. Get a second opinion. What are the chances are all done. You do heavy offroading?

MCDavis 02-25-19 02:56 PM

Honestly, 90k and 5 years isn't outside of the realm of possibility for replacement, however I call BS on the price. I just added an assembled Dobinson's 2" lift and install for $1450 total, and that's a far upgrade over OEM components.
It's definitely worth a second opinion.

coolsaber 02-25-19 03:24 PM

A second opinion wont hurt. Anyone know of any good stock OEM replacements. RA and Amazon dont really seem to stock much KYB or trusted replacements?

Diablo6 02-25-19 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by coolsaber (Post 10450830)
A second opinion wont hurt. Anyone know of any good stock OEM replacements. RA and Amazon dont really seem to stock much KYB or trusted replacements?

following....in a similar boat. Have 108k miles on the suspension of a used 2013 we just picked up. Thinking of doing Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners for about $400. Not interested in a lift since it’s the wife’s DD.

MCDavis 02-25-19 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Diablo6 (Post 10450842)

following....in a similar boat. Have 108k miles on the suspension of a used 2013 we just picked up. Thinking of doing Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners for about $400. Not interested in a lift since it’s the wife’s DD.

You may want to look at the KYB offerings. Nothing against the 5100s, but they are a bit firmer than most stock setups, and valved more digressive than linear. She may enjoy the KYB.

tigmd99 02-25-19 03:50 PM

I don’t know...if you’re sticking with stock springs, then i would just stick to the OEM shocks IF you like the current ride/comfort of your GX. In my younger years, i tried aftermarket shocks on stock springs on various vehicles...never could match the ride quality of stock setup.

BradTank 02-25-19 04:04 PM

The entire reason shops have oil changes that they basically lose money on is to try an drum up business.
So just don't be surprised when you take your car to a place with an inexpensive oil change place and they say it needs expensive work.

I honestly doubt all 4 shocks/struts are blown and need replacement, but it's possible. Does the car ride poorly? Is it bouncy? Can you see any oil around the strut/shocks? Are the tires wearing funny (cupping)?

Even honest shops get their techs to upsale business.

Acrad 02-25-19 04:23 PM

I know not under factory warranty but this is criteria Lexus uses

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...8c6eeb2a2b.png

LFIL 02-25-19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by supperfly1 (Post 10450750)
I call bs. Get a second opinion. What are the chances are all done. You do heavy offroading?

Ha, the only thing close to offroading is if my wife runs over the curb leaving a parking lot.

Diablo6 02-25-19 04:29 PM

[QUOTE=MCDavis;10450852]You may want to look at the KYB offerings. Nothing against the 5100s, but they are a bit firmer than most stock setups, and valved more digressive than linear. She may enjoy the KYB.[/QUO

anyone have an idea on how the Ironman shocks might be for stock application?

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/ironman...rut-nitro-gas/

LFIL 02-25-19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BradTank (Post 10450880)
The entire reason shops have oil changes that they basically lose money on is to try an drum up business.
So just don't be surprised when you take your car to a place with an inexpensive oil change place and they say it needs expensive work.

I honestly doubt all 4 shocks/struts are blown and need replacement, but it's possible. Does the car ride poorly? Is it bouncy? Can you see any oil around the strut/shocks? Are the tires wearing funny (cupping)?

Even honest shops get their techs to upsale business.

The oil change isn't necessarily cheap, and the place has a good reputation, but this does sound a bit fishy. To me, it rides fine. My wife, who drives it every day, has been complaining about a thumping noise and vibration in the steering when she stops. Brakes also inspected with no issues. They say the tires are cupping.