Front Struts and Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 04:51 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Good Shocks + Stiffer Sidewall = Yes.
Much higher unsprung weight + tall (and, yes stiffer) sidewall = ROUGH & stiff ride, harder to control, worst STEERING, and worst BRAKING!!

You mistake a rough and jarring ride to a "connected" and "controlled" ride. That's absolutely wrong.

Adding LT E-load tire to ANY vehicle does NOT improve anything.........except more load capacity (towing) and more puncture protection off-road (due to more tread layers and/or stronger sidewall).

You do NOT add LT tires (vs. P-metric) to improve ride or on-road handling!!!!! That's just bad advice you're giving to others.

Last edited by tigmd99; 03-31-19 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-31-19, 10:57 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Much higher unsprung weight + tall (and, yes stiffer) sidewall = ROUGH & stiff ride, harder to control, worst STEERING, and worst BRAKING!!

You mistake a rough and jarring ride to a "connected" and "controlled" ride. That's absolutely wrong.

Adding LT E-load tire to ANY vehicle does NOT improve anything.........except more load capacity (towing) and more puncture protection off-road (due to more tread layers and/or stronger sidewall).

You do NOT add LT tires (vs. P-metric) to improve ride or on-road handling!!!!! That's just bad advice you're giving to others.
agreed. I’ve searched around and I’ve used Rock Auto for many different parts and they seem to only carry the KYB excel G as OEM replacements. So for me it’s the KYB or Factory Lexus shocks which surprisingly cost appx. The same for (4) front and rear setup up ($400 for KYB and $416 for Lexus/Toyota). I’m not sure which would give a more soft supple ride.
Old 03-31-19, 11:07 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

Copy from an earlier post on LT tires ...

You are absolutely correct about the fact that I have added 15lbs. of unsprung weight to each wheel. I was very concerned about this (and tire clearance/rubbing/alignment) before I got the tires and that’s why I started this thread. As it turned out these tires feel better in every aspect compared to the OEMs. The vehicle feel more planted and takes the bumpy stuff smoother. These tires make the vehicle feel more stable. Even the steering feels better. The handling also feels better at high speeds (highway). I noticed it as soon as took the first ride with the new tires. I’m an aggressive driver and run my vehicles at a fast pace, which demands a stable vehicle. I think the AVS and air springs have a lot to do with handling the extra weight so well.

Koz

I have found that many times shocks perform better when the tires provide more positive input via a stiffer sidewall ... versus vague input from a softer sidewall. May be counter intuitive, but LT-D and LT-E rated tires ... while heavier ... can provide improved ride as Koz has experienced and as I have experienced ... smoother ride with the stiffer sidewalls improving steering response and overall handling.

P-metric tires (intended for passenger cars) on a heavy (body-on-frame) SUV are many times marginally compatible from a load rating standpoint. I for one prefer to have my family riding on a level of margin from a safety standpoint.
Old 03-31-19, 11:33 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Copy from an earlier post on LT tires ...

You are absolutely correct about the fact that I have added 15lbs. of unsprung weight to each wheel. I was very concerned about this (and tire clearance/rubbing/alignment) before I got the tires and that’s why I started this thread. As it turned out these tires feel better in every aspect compared to the OEMs. The vehicle feel more planted and takes the bumpy stuff smoother. These tires make the vehicle feel more stable. Even the steering feels better. The handling also feels better at high speeds (highway). I noticed it as soon as took the first ride with the new tires. I’m an aggressive driver and run my vehicles at a fast pace, which demands a stable vehicle. I think the AVS and air springs have a lot to do with handling the extra weight so well.

Koz

I have found that many times shocks perform better when the tires provide more positive input via a stiffer sidewall ... versus vague input from a softer sidewall. May be counter intuitive, but LT-D and LT-E rated tires ... while heavier ... can provide improved ride as Koz has experienced and as I have experienced ... smoother ride with the stiffer sidewalls improving steering response and overall handling.

P-metric tires (intended for passenger cars) on a heavy (body-on-frame) SUV are many times marginally compatible from a load rating standpoint. I for one prefer to have my family riding on a level of margin from a safety standpoint.
Ahhh Koz...i have known about him for over a decade here and T4r.org. Yeah, let's just say that his OPINIONs on matter are at times suspect.

I see tons of BMW X5 owners upgrading their tires to LT-E for the improved steering, handling, and braking!!

The rest of what you said is plain wrong. LOL. Seriously, really wrong. smh
Old 03-31-19, 11:43 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I prefer the handling from stiffer sidewalls and shocks as well, which is why I changed to load range E tires on my GX. Of course I am coming from a lowered Jeep SRT and can't stand driving on the stock passenger marshmallows.
Old 03-31-19, 12:07 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Ahhh Koz...i have known about him for over a decade here and T4r.org. Yeah, let's just say that his OPINIONs on matter are at times suspect.

I see tons of BMW X5 owners upgrading their tires to LT-E for the improved steering, handling, and braking!!

The rest of what you said is plain wrong. LOL. Seriously, really wrong. smh
So "Mr. Judge and Jury" forgot to take his Meds ... yet again. Must be exhausting ... twisting everything people post to stage for an argument.
Old 03-31-19, 12:25 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
So "Mr. Judge and Jury" forgot to take his Meds ... yet again. Must be exhausting ... twisting everything people post to stage for an argument.
Just basic physics make your argument nonsensical.
Old 03-31-19, 12:36 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Just basic physics make your argument nonsensical.
So what IS "my argument" ? Are you capable of understanding that those who do not prefer "marshmallow handling" may be looking for alternatives outside of YOUR opinion ... that anything outside a Lexus R&D provided solution has ruinous consequences ?
Old 03-31-19, 12:57 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
So what IS "my argument" ? Are you capable of understanding that those who do not prefer "marshmallow handling" may be looking for alternatives outside of YOUR opinion ... that anything outside a Lexus R&D provided solution has ruinous consequences ?
Yeah, if you say that you like rough and jarring ride but love the towing/off-roading aspect...then great...i agree 110%! But to say that LT-E tires improve handling, "control", steering, braking, etc.......is just wrong. LT tires do NOT improve those things....because that's not their purpose in life. No one buys LT tires to get better on-road anything (other than towing). Yes, you get a bouncier ride due to the stiffer (and likely taller) sidewall AND the much heavier unsprung weight. People put up with LT tires because of their increased weight capacity AND/OR off-road performance.

Much higher unsprung weight + tall (and, yes stiffer) sidewall = ROUGH & stiff ride, harder to control,worst STEERING, and worst BRAKING!!

These are facts dude. Sorry.
Old 03-31-19, 12:59 PM
oksir83
Driver

No one buys LT tires to get better on-road anything
I guess you missed my post where I said that I did just that...
Old 03-31-19, 01:14 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by oksir83
I guess you missed my post where I said that I did just that...
Great...but that does not mean that you did the right thing....

You guys can do what you guys want (it is your $$)...but when you start to give out (incorrect) advice to other members, then don't be surprise if others call you out on it. I did not mention you because i have not seen you give out advice like ASE does repeatedly on this topic.
Old 03-31-19, 01:17 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by oksir83
I prefer the handling from stiffer sidewalls and shocks as well, which is why I changed to load range E tires on my GX. Of course I am coming from a lowered Jeep SRT and can't stand driving on the stock passenger marshmallows.
Since you asked...you think that your LT-E tires can outperform stock tires? You think that you can pull more G's? Braking improved too? So, did you put on LT-E tires on your lowered-Jeep SRT to get better handling? If not, then why not? Just imagine what your Jeep SRT can do around the track with BFG KO2!!
Old 03-31-19, 01:21 PM
oksir83
Driver

Great...but that does not mean that you did the right thing....
According to who? It was most definitely the right thing for my personal preferences and driving style. Just because folks disagree with your modification ideology does not mean their choices are wrong or incorrect.

It is a fact that stiffer sidewalls produce better cornering and handling. No need to call others out if they share this with other members.
Old 03-31-19, 01:25 PM
oksir83
Driver

Since you asked...you think that your LT-E tires can outperform stock tires? You think that you can pull more G's? Braking improved too? So, did you put on LT-E tires on your lowered-Jeep SRT to get better handling? If not, then why not? Just imagine what your Jeep SRT can do around the track with BFG KO2!!
Utter drivel...two totally different platforms.

To appease your nonsense, yes, I had higher load rated 22" tires (among other modifications) on my SRT and no, they weren't BFG ATs.
Old 03-31-19, 01:25 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Better up your Med's ... current dosage is clearly not working.

Quick Reply: Front Struts and Rear Shocks