GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front Struts and Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 04:42 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
I don’t know...if you’re sticking with stock springs, then i would just stick to the OEM shocks IF you like the current ride/comfort of your GX. In my younger years, i tried aftermarket shocks on stock springs on various vehicles...never could match the ride quality of stock setup.
i couldnt agree more.
Old 02-25-19, 05:26 PM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo6
anyone have an idea on how the Ironman shocks might be for stock application?

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/ironman...rut-nitro-gas/
Theyre overkill. Technically my Dobinsons kit is overkill, but I absolutely love it.
KYB or Monroe for stock-like ride. Bilstein 4600 too.
Old 02-25-19, 09:34 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,060 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by LFIL
We have a 2013 GX460 with about 91,000 miles on it. We took it to a local garage with a good reputation for an oil change and inspection. They called and said the front struts are leaking and worn out and the rear shocks are also worn out and the replacement will cost $1,175. They said the tires are cupping as a result. We've never had any struts or shocks replaced on any vehicle, although only one we've owned has had higher mileage than this. Also, the price sounds pretty steep. Any advice? Are we getting taken for a ride? We have to decide if we want them to order the parts and do the repair.
Even if the shocks are not leaking, at 91,000 miles they will start to become sloppy ... so I typically change shocks in the 80-90,000 mile window given the stock shocks are not that great (IMHO) to begin with, so this is an opportunity to do yourself a favor and upgrade. Tire cupping should be easy to see, or if minimal ... felt by running your hand over the tread in the direction of rotation. Given labor is the bigger cost driver, do not waste your time with crap brands like Monroe ... I would not install these on my riding lawn mower. So many GX owners want the GX to have a "smooth ride" ... ignoring the reality that it is a truck that needs and deserves a higher level of shock control than what Lexus (purposely) provided ... catering the "comfort" crowd while compromising control and handling. While there are many passionate shock recommendations on this and other forums, I like Bilstein's given they do firm-up the ride slightly (emphasize slightly when using stock springs) with improved lean control when cornering and improved road feedback.

Last edited by ASE; 02-25-19 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LFIL (02-26-19)
Old 02-26-19, 03:05 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
so I typically change shocks in the 80-90,000 mile window given the stock shocks are not that great (IMHO) to begin with, so this is an opportunity to do yourself a favor and upgrade. Tire cupping should be easy to see, or if minimal ... felt by running your hand over the tread in the direction of rotation. Given labor is the bigger cost driver, do not waste your time with crap brands like Monroe ... I would not install these on my riding lawn mower. So many GX owners want the GX to have a "smooth ride" ... ignoring the reality that it is a truck that needs and deserves a higher level of shock control than what Lexus (purposely) provided ... catering the "comfort" crowd while compromising control and handling. While there are many passionate shock recommendations on this and other forums, I like Bilstein's given they do firm-up the ride slightly (emphasize slightly when using stock springs) with improved lean control when cornering and improved road feedback.
Changing shocks at 80-90k without issue? Wow.

Stock shocks are not even fit for a lawn mower? Wow.

If only shocks were the end all to "handling, cornering, and road feedback"....

Sorry, i pretty much disagree with everything that you wrote. But that's just me.
Old 02-26-19, 05:55 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Changing shocks at 80-90k without issue? Wow.

Stock shocks are not even fit for a lawn mower? Wow.

If only shocks were the end all to "handling, cornering, and road feedback"....

Sorry, i pretty much disagree with everything that you wrote. But that's just me.
OEM shocks ... Yes. Monroe ... Yes. Never said they were “the end all” ... but do play a significant role.
Old 02-26-19, 07:47 AM
2012GX460
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

LFIL, have you considered having your local Lexus dealer taking a look?
If I was gonna get a second opinion, it would be at my dealer, actually I use them almost everything.
We're very blessed, we have a great dealer!
Old 03-01-19, 05:03 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012GX460
LFIL, have you considered having your local Lexus dealer taking a look?
If I was gonna get a second opinion, it would be at my dealer, actually I use them almost everything.
We're very blessed, we have a great dealer!
Our local Lexus dealer is 45 minutes away and not that great. We have an appointment next week with the local Toyota dealer for a second opinion. I will update then.
Old 03-01-19, 08:16 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I've put a variety of shocks/struts on cars over the years. Probably the biggest complaint with aftermarket ones are it usually means the ride is stiffer than they want. Something like bilsteins or KYB are going to lose that luxury car ride. Monroe are usually associated with a more compliant ride. I put Monroes on a previous generation GX470 and an LS and they rode better than stock and I never had any issues, but Monroe quality I've heard is spotty. Don't ever buy the economy line of any strut/shock.

I would say OEM are usually the way to go. Sometimes though the OEMs charge CRAZY money for their struts and shocks. But if it's only like $60 more for an OEM strut vs an aftermarket, I know I would gladly pay it on a car that's still worth quite a bit of money.

On the previous generation GX, they could use Toyota 4Runner OEM shocks, which were really inexpensive. Not sure though on this generation.
Old 03-01-19, 04:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I know you don't have AVS but looking at that dealer pricing.... 3rd party AVS shocks are around $250/each for the rears and $180/each for the front ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48530-60210-48530-69565-2pcs-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Set-For-Lexus-GX460-2010-2017/112904312045

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112900226949

Last edited by Acrad; 03-02-19 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-01-19, 04:24 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Are the stock shocks twin tubes or mono tubes?
Old 03-05-19, 10:22 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

OP here. The Toyota dealer agrees they are leaking and need to be replaced. They quoted $2,200 for Lexus OEM replacements. The quote from the independent shop was $1,175 for KYB. There is a bit of conflicting opinion in this thread about whether aftermarket shocks kill the luxury ride, but for $1,000 I'm thinking I'll chance it.
Old 03-05-19, 12:46 PM
2012GX460
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, it sucks that you have to replace, but at least you know you can trust the first shop...
Please keep us updated, my truck just rolled 90,000, so I may be doing this same thing soon.
Old 03-05-19, 01:33 PM
ASE
Pole Position

I seriously do not know why anyone thinks 90,000 miles sucks for shock replacement given the OEM shocks are intermediate quality ... so replacement at this mileage is not shocking (no pun intended). This is an opportunity to upgrade.
Old 03-05-19, 05:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
I seriously do not know why anyone thinks 90,000 miles sucks for shock replacement given the OEM shocks are intermediate quality ... so replacement at this mileage is not shocking (no pun intended). This is an opportunity to upgrade.
Most folks dont really care about shocks until they are worn well past their due date. Plus with these vehicles, a bad shock means perfect time for that upgrade packs
Old 03-05-19, 06:05 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Most folks don't really care about shocks until they are worn well past their due date.
I could not agree more. In my opinion, Lexus has always done a disservice to the (American) market by assuming a "Luxury Ride" means "Soft" to the point that the driver has no real connection to the road. I sometimes think that the shock settings for the Luxury Model should be renamed ... from "Sport" and "Comfort" ... to "Comfort" and "Epidural" because with the latter, the driver becomes close to being completely detached from the road in terms of feedback or control from a handling standpoint.

What should be experienced by every GX owner is driving one with premium shocks installed ... providing improved road feedback and handling while preserving a comfortable ride.

Quick Reply: Front Struts and Rear Shocks