GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Just going to make left turn and Skewered by a Steel post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 09:50 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just going to make left turn and Skewered by a Steel post!

So, my wife was driving the GX 460 the other day, and she moved into a turn lane that was short and traffic rushing behind/beside her, and there was a steel marker post that was bent out into the lane that she couldn't avoid.

It of course scratched the side of the front bumper, the lower front door below the trim panel, and then speared into the rear door below the trim panel, basically ripping into the side of the car like the mean-looking hubcaps from the movie Grease.

My wife steered away as quickly as she could, but the rear bumper also has a huge gouge/scratch in it as she got the GX off the post.

This happened on a Colorado Department of Transportation road, so we are hoping they will pay to fix the damages, but that is a long and hard road that we have just began.

After she got done being upset(crying pretty hard) about her nice car being screwed up by the hazardly bent steel post sticking out into the lane, she assessed the damage and found that the post had pierced her entire door skin on the outside and all the way through the door panel on the inside as well as the speaker.

Needless to say, we are now fighting to get the damages and deductible cost paid.

Last edited by Gxxr; 02-16-19 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 02:45 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,563 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Yikes!!! Glad she wasn't harmed or injured!!! That had the potential to go completely through the door if it damaged the speaker as well.
Old 02-17-19, 04:55 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow!! That thing can really injure motorcyclist!! Glad your wife is OK. Damn.
Old 02-17-19, 07:54 AM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad your wife is O.K.. That thing would have sank the Titanic if it gouged it..
Old 02-17-19, 11:03 AM
scpringle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your wife is ok , cars can be fixed and they are making more of them every day !

Last edited by scpringle; 02-17-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 12:03 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scpringle
Glad your wife is ox
Did you just call his wife "big boned"?
The following users liked this post:
scpringle (02-17-19)
Old 02-17-19, 12:57 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Haha, well, she is OK, and not an ox, so that is good...

I know she is just mad at herself and the hazard for being there.... there wasn’t much she could do to avoid it and not cause an accident with another car.

Thanks for the support, it is just frustrating to try and have something nice in this state. The roads and the weather are really rough on nice cars.
scpringle (02-17-19)
Old 02-17-19, 03:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,563 Likes on 2,333 Posts

For those with auto body repair knowledge or background will they end up replacing the door with a used one and repainting?
Old 02-17-19, 07:15 PM
scpringle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a TYPO so sorry !!
Old 02-17-19, 08:30 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Unless you want to replace the whole door, body shop can take the door off and the inside panel, knock out the metal and probably weld a piece of metal from inside to patch the hole. Then bondo and repaint. It may not
eve need to repain the whole door as they can tape at the moulding area.
Old 02-17-19, 09:54 PM
Gxxr
Driver

From what body shops we have visited so far and got quotes for, they are both replacing the door with a complete new one, as the internal structure of the door was damaged on the outside, inside the door, and on the inner part of the door next to the door trim panel....

Surprisingly, a brand new door from Lexus/Toyota is only $575 empty, but the door trim panel is double that!

We need to get a few more quotes to see who we will go with for the repairs, and then choose from the best rated shop....
Acrad (02-18-19)
Old 04-03-19, 08:36 PM
Gxxr
Driver

So.... We just got the GX460 back from the body shop after 1 month of wait time. The paint job looks awesome.... We had a high deductible ($1500), and I wanted the entire front and rear bumpers fixed for scratches and marks while they were off, and to have the whole bumpers repainted so we didn't have a mismatch or a line where they might not be able to feather the metal flake in to my satisfaction.

We had to pay for the difference for that extra paint work and having the side marker lamp lens on the mirror replaced that had a minor crack.

I did find in the paperwork from the body shop, and they had an ASTECH report on the car. It talked about a zero point calibration to the seat, but it didn't mention anything else.

The only problem we are having now is that the headlights won't go off after a long delay (waited 10 minutes) after shutting the car off and getting out to go in the house. This is with the control stalk turned to AUTO.

I went into setup/vehicle/lightning tonight, and set the headlights to "OFF" after vehicle was turned off, so, no delay.

The lights continued to stay on, turning the car on and off, even though all the settings had the ext. lights to be off still set.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 04-03-19, 09:29 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Do they turn off if you turn them on and press Lock on the remote twice?
Do they also turn off automatically after you locked the car when at ON
Old 04-03-19, 09:31 PM
Gxxr
Driver

I didn't try the first mode, but, I did try turning the car off, with the lights on Auto, and hit the lock button on the remote, and they still did not turn off
Old 04-04-19, 07:24 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Gxxr
I didn't try the first mode, but, I did try turning the car off, with the lights on Auto, and hit the lock button on the remote, and they still did not turn off
Try the previous post methods to see if light control ECU is in proper working condition. One thing to keep in mind, the light control ECU is inside left front fender close to the front door hinge area. If during the body repair, when everything were off, it is possible if something, such as connecting harness got loose, etc. If you have the Techstream, you can also do a scan to see if light control ECU returns any error code.
Acrad (04-04-19)

Quick Reply: Just going to make left turn and Skewered by a Steel post!