GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

should i buy new or pre owned

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 10:33 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default should i buy new or pre owned

i read one aonther thread that a loaded premium GX 2019.. 58K.. someone got it for 49K. with dealer discounts.

I would like to buy a 2-3 year depreciated one.. too many coming off auctions . I have access to Auction data

so add 3K.. to this.. seems like a loaded premium one. i can get for 42 to 45 in dallas so should I just not pay 5 K more and get a BRAND new one ??

i want one which as all 4 traction control MTS crawl. etc..

i am in Texas and intend to tow a boat trailer. with dirt bike. etc. and go hunting. to. mild terrain.. notihng spectular.. N texas.. no snow..

Last edited by jkutti2000; 02-10-19 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 12:28 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The pricing you're seeing is Luxury version.. so add 7k to the price on the premiums you're seeing. In that case I would pocket the 12-14k savings (since you save on the higher Texas sales tax as well)
Old 02-10-19, 01:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

As^ mentioned your looking at a Luxury Edition I assume. The lowest in 2018 Summer across the board was 20% (personally). I read lower otherwise. The difference between a 16 GX Luxury and a 19 Luxury will probably be huge price wise if you can score an MMR price, otherwise the difference will probably go up around 8-15K depending on year and vehicle (16+).

You mentioned MTS which is not an option available on USDM GXs, so either way not getting that unless you DIY it (thread here that guides you).
Old 02-10-19, 05:27 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
The pricing you're seeing is Luxury version.. so add 7k to the price on the premiums you're seeing. In that case I would pocket the 12-14k savings (since you save on the higher Texas sales tax as well)
Sir. i am confused.. i thought luxury was the most expensive.. seems like a big jump from premium to luxury..
If premium has all the 4 traction options I want. i am fine with it.. just want to see if buying new or 3 year old -which is better.
if diff is 5-7 K.. i will buy new. if it goes to 15 K. then may take a pre owned one. but this darn LEXUS just holds too much value ! grrr...

Old 02-10-19, 05:30 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
As^ mentioned your looking at a Luxury Edition I assume. The lowest in 2018 Summer across the board was 20% (personally). I read lower otherwise. The difference between a 16 GX Luxury and a 19 Luxury will probably be huge price wise if you can score an MMR price, otherwise the difference will probably go up around 8-15K depending on year and vehicle (16+).

You mentioned MTS which is not an option available on USDM GXs, so either way not getting that unless you DIY it (thread here that guides you).
thank you. 20% off MSRP. would be AMAZING.. then. why t f to buy pre owned.. 3 year old 30K. for 6-7k less
. and who knows how it has been abused.. will buy NEW then..

let me get some quotes from sewell in dallas and see if they give me an offer I cant refuse..

Last edited by jkutti2000; 02-10-19 at 05:30 PM. Reason: type
Old 02-10-19, 05:43 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,330 Posts

You will need to add the 4 mode MTS module yourself. It is not available on US GX 460s. You can purchase Luxury model with Crawl Control though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-control.html
Old 02-11-19, 06:00 AM
2012GX460
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my 2012 CPO from Lexus in San Antonio.
Got a great deal, you may want to give them a call and compare...?

So, to answer your question, in my option, pre owned.

Mine was a lease, so they had all the documentation.

http://www.kahligauto.com
Old 02-11-19, 11:23 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

In my opinion, when buying a cheaper car, I like to buy it new. When buying Luxury Premium or expensive cars, I'd buy used.
My thought is that those that buy expensive cars are less likely to abuse them and usually keep maintenance up for the first few years at dealers because they are usually rich and could afford it. It is also for status reasons. Most them keep the cars in pristine conditions and driven very little.
Depreciation has been done and sometimes for a 3-4 years old car, you can save 50% off the original price.
The following users liked this post:
jkutti2000 (02-12-19)
Old 02-11-19, 12:37 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I bought. a used gx luxury, 2015 had about 21k on it, I couldn't justify getting a new one even I was getting very good deals on them. almost 15k off MRSP. But most of them didn't have the driver support package and they were missing the middle seat. or had captains chairs which I didn't want to get.
Old 02-11-19, 12:59 PM
GX763
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
In my opinion, when buying a cheaper car, I like to buy it new. When buying Luxury Premium or expensive cars, I'd buy used.
My thought is that those that buy expensive cars are less likely to abuse them and usually keep maintenance up for the first few years at dealers because they are usually rich and could afford it. It is also for status reasons. Most them keep the cars in pristine conditions and driven very little.
Depreciation has been done and sometimes for a 3-4 years old car, you can save 50% off the original price.
My exact thought. I don't know where guys are seeing 20% off MSRP which would hinder me buying used since these SUV/Trucks hold their value really well. I just purchased my GX this weekend after a month of research. Brand new, MY15 GX Luxury was about $65-67k MSRP with ML and RES upgrades. I bought it this weekend for $33k with 60k miles so 3-4 years old and half depreciation is gone. I'm confident this GX will last me another 5-10 years. I think I got a steal on my GX that came from Florida. No accidents but no maintenance record on carfax which I found the history by calling the shop on the Oil change sticker on the top left windshield.
jkutti2000 (02-12-19)
Old 02-11-19, 01:27 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 979 Likes on 660 Posts

Assuming this is a long-term commitment, the excellent depreciation argues for purchasing new ... my exact logic in just purchasing a new 2019 GX460. Also, I would purchase sooner than later given the GX will be seeing a refresh soon ... and I am not one willing to risk the new GX going uni-body propelled by a V-6 something and having a big-*** Tesla-style touchscreen with a menu hierarchy that was logically designed by the Japanese ... any one of these three changes would be an absolute nightmare.

No one knows the timing, but as the release date approaches ... depleting inventories will leave White or Black as the only color choice.
Old 02-11-19, 01:56 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by GX763
My exact thought. I don't know where guys are seeing 20% off MSRP which would hinder me buying used since these SUV/Trucks hold their value really well. I just purchased my GX this weekend after a month of research. Brand new, MY15 GX Luxury was about $65-67k MSRP with ML and RES upgrades. I bought it this weekend for $33k with 60k miles so 3-4 years old and half depreciation is gone. I'm confident this GX will last me another 5-10 years. I think I got a steal on my GX that came from Florida. No accidents but no maintenance record on carfax which I found the history by calling the shop on the Oil change sticker on the top left windshield.
Quick search will point you towards the summer thread. MMR prices are crazy low regardless, since their dealer only auctions. If you can nab a vehicle from a friend even with the 20% you wont be able to make a case against an MMR vehicle.
Old 02-12-19, 07:03 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

THANK U ALL for the advice.. buying a CAR 50-55K is a big decision( atleast for me!) phew and i get intimidated with the process.
Going into a dealership is like a sheep walking into a wolfs Den.
YY WIFE wants to come along to expereince- the wonderful LEXUS showroom buying process - but I told her that i will be going to 4 local dealerships and haggling till the last penny and that process is not going to be enjoyable.
Maybe once I sign, then she can come in to get the car.

TWO things on my MIND
1) if i buy a lower version LEXUS BASE or PREMIUM, I can add the 4 PANEL MTS CRAWL? and I Can lower and raise the car? My friend has the luxury version and his top left toggle switch allows him to lower and raise the car. I definitely want that. non negiotable.! i need it for off roading for sure!
2) ,it will come down to this.. 3 year old 20 -30K miles v/s Brand new.. IF i can squeeze a 15 -20% off MSRP and diff between the new and pre owned is under 10K.. and SINCE I intend to keep this CAR For 10+ years.( I have a ES 350 and it running for 11 years..ZERO problems )
might as well buy NEW!.
Old 02-12-19, 07:31 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
THANK U ALL for the advice.. buying a CAR 50-55K is a big decision( atleast for me!) phew and i get intimidated with the process.
Going into a dealership is like a sheep walking into a wolfs Den.
YY WIFE wants to come along to expereince- the wonderful LEXUS showroom buying process - but I told her that i will be going to 4 local dealerships and haggling till the last penny and that process is not going to be enjoyable.
Maybe once I sign, then she can come in to get the car.

TWO things on my MIND
1) if i buy a lower version LEXUS BASE or PREMIUM, I can add the 4 PANEL MTS CRAWL? and I Can lower and raise the car? My friend has the luxury version and his top left toggle switch allows him to lower and raise the car. I definitely want that. non negiotable.! i need it for off roading for sure!
2) ,it will come down to this.. 3 year old 20 -30K miles v/s Brand new.. IF i can squeeze a 15 -20% off MSRP and diff between the new and pre owned is under 10K.. and SINCE I intend to keep this CAR For 10+ years.( I have a ES 350 and it running for 11 years..ZERO problems )
might as well buy NEW!.
If you want to raise and lower the rear suspension you MUST get the luxury grade. But for offloading it is best to get non-air suspension since it's easier to modify the suspension.
jkutti2000 (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 07:47 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GX763

your case is CLEAR CUT. i wud take the pre owned car.
yeah.. so here is where it gets dilemmatic.

but if u r in this situation where u see a 2 to 2.5 year old car with 20 k for 45 K

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0046/overview/

and u can get the new one for 55-56K- assuming i can wrangle a 15-20% off MSRP.. then ?

might as well take a Brand NEW One ! which you will drive and maintain pristinely !.

Quick Reply: should i buy new or pre owned