GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

How bad is non-ML Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 07:18 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default How bad is non-ML Audio?

I am currently looking for a used GX460 and in my price point (and desired number of miles), I don't think the Luxury package is an option without sacrificing mileage.

I will be coming from a Benz w/ Harmon Kardon and also a Jeep SRT with HK. Just how does the non-ML audio stack up to the ML audio and against other premium audio options from other car makers?

I fear that I am focusing too much on the audio and letting some good deals slip by on Base or Premium models. I saw where someone upgraded just the speakers and said it seemed to make a noticeable difference with the stock system. I am not an audiophile by any means, but I do like my music when driving around.
Old 02-05-19, 09:09 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I personally feel that it sounds better than the ML (in the GX, that is.)
Old 02-05-19, 09:42 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts

Maybe not totally apples-to-apples ... had a 2008 GX470 with ML System and just bought a 2019 GX460 Premium. IMHO the latter has better sound. Also, I am not a fan of the adjustable suspension system ... on "Comfort" it handled like a barge and on "Sport" was almost but not quite acceptable. I disabled the system and installed Bilstein Shocks ... a HUGE improvement in steering response, handling, reduced body roll and overall sense of control, with a smooth ride and the right amount of road feedback. The GX460 Premium does not have this overpriced and sub-performing feature ... so for both reasons, IMHO the up-charge for the Luxury is absolutely not worth the money.
The following users liked this post:
GXinUT (10-05-20)
Old 02-06-19, 09:24 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

The non ML is going to be easier to upgrade, speaker wise. The ML speakers usually have a crazy ohm rating so replacing with aftermarket speakers is difficult if not impossible.
BradTank (02-12-19)
Old 02-06-19, 01:45 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I have no issues with my non-ML GX Premium. Just adjust the sound settings a bit to your taste.
craigrpete (07-29-19)
Old 02-12-19, 11:21 AM
Toothpick
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Non ML unit with upgraded speakers is better then ML. Just set aside $300 for a speakers upgrade.
HK definitely not a sound quality benchmark.
So you will be happy either way.
Old 02-12-19, 12:49 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Having the ML system was a priority for me and I wouldn't have bought one without it, but I'd also keep in mind that the ML system in the GX is not a top tier system. It's a mid-range system that's going to be good, but isn't going to blow anyone away. Lexus reserves the top tier ML system (ML-Reference) for higher models such as the LX.
bondguy (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 02:38 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Mark Levinson systems are such a scam, after having two previous Lexus with that "upgraded" package, I went out of my way to not pay for that option on this model GX.

The speakers on my previous LS basically crumbled into dust. I'm not exaggerating when I say the speakers were like some generic brand from Walmart. But for replacement, it was basically "dealer only" as they had a weird rating. If you put in an "off teh shelf" speaker it could blow the incredibly expensive Levinson amp.The forum was full of the same types of complaints, also people having to have the subwoofer replaced, the amp replaced, etc. On my previous gen GX, also had a lot of issues. I think I ended up having to turn the bass way down from normal so it wouldn't have that rattling, broken sub sound.

And even when they weren't broken, the sound quality was just like any car. In fact, i was blown away when I had a Mustang as a rental car and couldn't believe how much better the sound quality was compared to my Lexus with a Mark Levinson system that added like $2,000 to the price of the car.

Last edited by BradTank; 02-12-19 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 04:56 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothpick
Non ML unit with upgraded speakers is better then ML. Just set aside $300 for a speakers upgrade.
HK definitely not a sound quality benchmark.
So you will be happy either way.
Good luck getting to ML level with just $300 of speaker upgrade to the base system! LOL
Old 02-13-19, 04:57 AM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Mark Levinson systems are such a scam, after having two previous Lexus with that "upgraded" package, I went out of my way to not pay for that option on this model GX.

The speakers on my previous LS basically crumbled into dust. I'm not exaggerating when I say the speakers were like some generic brand from Walmart. But for replacement, it was basically "dealer only" as they had a weird rating. If you put in an "off teh shelf" speaker it could blow the incredibly expensive Levinson amp.The forum was full of the same types of complaints, also people having to have the subwoofer replaced, the amp replaced, etc. On my previous gen GX, also had a lot of issues. I think I ended up having to turn the bass way down from normal so it wouldn't have that rattling, broken sub sound.

And even when they weren't broken, the sound quality was just like any car. In fact, i was blown away when I had a Mustang as a rental car and couldn't believe how much better the sound quality was compared to my Lexus with a Mark Levinson system that added like $2,000 to the price of the car.

ML system in the GX is a $1145 option. Remember that it is the whole system makeover (from headunit to amp/DSP to speakers)...not just adding onto the existing (base) system. So, if you were to tear out the base system and make a new aftermarket system, then can you make a good system with $1145? That would include maybe a new head unit, amplifiers (need 2 probably, one for speakers and one for subwoofer), speakers, subwoofer, wiring, enclosures, AND labor unless you can do everything yourself. I was into aftermarket stuff in my younger years...$1145 is not a lot of money when you factor in those things.

Last edited by Madtiger; 02-13-19 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 05:23 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry to bump this older thread. I am in the same situation as the OP. Is Levinson worth it? Can anyone else with experience with both ML vs non-ML comment?
Old 07-19-19, 07:13 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I've had two different GX 460s, one with ML and one without. I don't think the ML was any better than the non ML. Also the ML on the GX is not as good as the one on the LS.
Old 07-19-19, 07:33 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
I've had two different GX 460s, one with ML and one without. I don't think the ML was any better than the non ML. Also the ML on the GX is not as good as the one on the LS.
Thanks for the response. Its much easier to find Premium models vs Luxury models too, so it helps widen my search.
Old 07-19-19, 08:26 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasin
Sorry to bump this older thread. I am in the same situation as the OP. Is Levinson worth it? Can anyone else with experience with both ML vs non-ML comment?
I've owned both GX with and without ML audio. Personally, I would prefer the ML audio for its clarity and better overall sound. But then again, sound is a very subjective matter and wholly depends on your listening taste.
Old 07-19-19, 09:16 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

My GS460's ML system blows the non-ML system away in my mom's '18 GX. Also, my wife's Cayenne has the upgraded Bose system, and that sounds awful in comparison. Never did understand the disgust for ML that some people have, but I think it's pretty good overall. Haven't heard it in the GX, however, so I'll keep quiet in that regard.

Quick Reply: How bad is non-ML Audio?