GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 09:39 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Coming from 14 years of driving a 4Runner (4th gen) I just picked up a 2018 Premium. I knew the gas mileage would suck going into this so my only gripe so far is the brakes. Let me clarify:

The braking FORCE and STOPPING ABILITY is fine, but the PEDAL EFFORT and PEDAL TRAVEL is way too high in my opinion. My old 4R brakes were recently replaced and bled. The old 4R brakes are much more solid/tight/firm and give immediate feedback and stopping power with about half the right leg effort.
Old 02-11-19, 10:31 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I have to agree with you, I thought the brakes are bad; drove 2 other GXs that how they are- little weird to get used to of it right away. I mean the LX brakes are spot on these one I have to push little more in.
Originally Posted by kgbagent1
Coming from 14 years of driving a 4Runner (4th gen) I just picked up a 2018 Premium. I knew the gas mileage would suck going into this so my only gripe so far is the brakes. Let me clarify:

The braking FORCE and STOPPING ABILITY is fine, but the PEDAL EFFORT and PEDAL TRAVEL is way too high in my opinion. My old 4R brakes were recently replaced and bled. The old 4R brakes are much more solid/tight/firm and give immediate feedback and stopping power with about half the right leg effort.
Old 02-11-19, 10:56 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Regarding brakes, I came form dual (my wife and I) 100 series Landcruisers. I did not notice any difference from the LC's to my GX. FYI, my GX is 2013 Premium.
Old 02-11-19, 12:01 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Standard Driver Support Package and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) for 2020
Is this rumor or fact?
Old 02-11-19, 12:21 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kgbagent1

This is a common complaint that I've seen. The effort can be high when stopped as well and if you're not used to them you may start to creep forward if you aren't paying attention and pressing hard enough.

On the plus side, you get used to it. I don't notice it anymore at all. On the negative side, it can be really jarring when you drive another vehicle. I recently had an RX loaner and my braking was a complete mess because I was used to the GX. I had to quickly retrain myself so I wasn't essentially slamming on the brakes each time I needed to stop.
Old 02-11-19, 01:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Madtiger

Is this rumor or fact?
Just a fun rumor since they place to add the safety sense gear to the 4R for 2020. The Driver Support Package would effectively fit that piece on the 460 with the addition of a pre-collision sensor functionality that could also detect pedestrians.
Old 02-13-19, 10:02 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding brakes, I had just passed a semi, eastbound on I84 approaching the Deschutes River when I spied three men (boys) and three dogs just as one of them and his dog commenced to cross the interstate. No time to think. A sudden skid test on the Interstate! So I jumped on the binders shedding speed from 75 to under 10 much more quickly than I expected and with absolute rock stability, just missing the boy and his dog. Idiots. The semi had it worse. He got a little squirrely but held it just behind me. At the end, he was just off my right quarter panel again having come from several truck lengths further back. I did not detect ABS coming into play, but really well engineered ABS will do that. No chattering or shuddering. This was a wreck avoided that might have made national news. Had the trucker fishtailed, he'd have taken out the other two guys and dogs without question.

I love the brakes on my truck. They require a little extra effort at the top--probably to avoid diving as others have mentioned--but once they reach the bite point they are entirely predictable. You learn what you can trust and what you can't with a vehicle; it schools you. I can trust the brakes on this one. I know that.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (02-13-19)
Old 02-13-19, 11:12 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Just a fun rumor since they place to add the safety sense gear to the 4R for 2020. The Driver Support Package would effectively fit that piece on the 460 with the addition of a pre-collision sensor functionality that could also detect pedestrians.
My dealer told me while looking at the UX for my wife do not expect anything until 2020 on the GX. It's been "in the lab" for re-work. This comes from Executive Sales Meetings (not in Lehigh Valley) and he dd see some artists renderings. Do not be suprised if there is an F-Sport on the menu either.
Old 02-13-19, 12:52 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
My dealer told me while looking at the UX for my wife do not expect anything until 2020 on the GX. It's been "in the lab" for re-work. This comes from Executive Sales Meetings (not in Lehigh Valley) and he dd see some artists renderings. Do not be suprised if there is an F-Sport on the menu either.
While I cannot confirm or deny any of these rumors, I can point out the following:

the GX is the last remaining vehicle on the 150 platform, that has not seen any update. 4 Runner 2020 updated, Prado 2018 updated....
the Only vehicle without LSS+ in Lexus's Lineup
The only vehicle whose infotainment is also running without remote touch/etc or even the OS that say the RX/LS (outdated OS at this point)
The GX full ground update chassis is slated to appear after the launch of the BOF Modular Heavy Platform underpinning as the MY2021 LX/LC Tundra update, scheduled for an introduction in MY2023 and beyond (if they keep the GX alive)
There is information if you search from other sources which stated that Q3 19 would the 4R update, which was confirmed by the 4R launch, then the MY2020 so late 19 launch for the GX, unconfirmed.
The F sport is interesting update, since almost every new non LX vehicle in recent has an F sport option, so I doubt the GX will be spared with the nametag
Acrad (02-13-19)
Old 02-13-19, 03:16 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

Has there ever been a body-on-frame F-sport? I highly doubt that we will ever see F-sport in a BOF with live rear axle...makes no damn sense from a driving enthusiast point. And this is why you don’t see F-sport in the LX.
Old 02-13-19, 03:19 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

I doubt it. That is why i was surprised by your post. Why? 4runner did NOT have any safety technology before 2020. All it has is basic stability control. No blind spot. No radar. No pre-collision.

So, 2020, Toyota just adds the package.

Lexus GX already has 90% of the package. Lexus is not going to add a few extra features, which means modifying hardware and software.......just to add a few non-essential (from grand scheme) stuff.
Old 02-13-19, 03:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Closest to being an F-sport were these appearance packages.

[2012]

[2013]
coolsaber (02-14-19)
Old 02-13-19, 03:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

They can probably just use the pre-collision sensor and ECU out of a LX as it has Pedestrian Detection. Think sensor is basically the same form factor as the one in GX.

https://www.lexus.com/models/LX/safe...-safety-system

At that point.. not much work as everything else in Driver Support Package would be the same as today.
Old 02-13-19, 03:27 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

They can probably just use the pre-collision sensor and ECU out of a LX as it has Pedestrian Detection. Think sensor is basically the same form factor as the one in GX.

https://www.lexus.com/models/LX/safe...-safety-system

At that point.. not much work as everything else in Driver Support Package would be the same as today.
Maybe, but LX also has TURN ASSIST which we don’t have. Who knows? Maybe we are using older hardware that is not capable of Pedestrian detection. GX is at the very very end of its cycle. Maybe you’re right. But i just don’t see Lexus pumping more money into the GX.

Look at the 2020 Land Cruiser...anniversary!!! Yet, all Toyota could manage with that aging platform are new rims, some logo changes, and take away 3rd row. That should tell you something...Toyota/Lexus is done with GX and LX/LC current platforms. They have moved on.
Old 02-14-19, 02:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Has there ever been a body-on-frame F-sport? I highly doubt that we will ever see F-sport in a BOF with live rear axle...makes no damn sense from a driving enthusiast point. And this is why you don’t see F-sport in the LX.
What is an F sport vehicle these days anyway? Basically an appearance pack and/or AVS.
Adding some ground effects, new wheels, and AVS (aka the same thing in a Lux) pack wont be hard. If they follow the LX, drive modes will feature different maps via a button. Not too hard to make.

I doubt it. That is why i was surprised by your post. Why? 4runner did NOT have any safety technology before 2020. All it has is basic stability control. No blind spot. No radar. No pre-collision.

So, 2020, Toyota just adds the package.

Lexus GX already has 90% of the package. Lexus is not going to add a few extra features, which means modifying hardware and software.......just to add a few non-essential (from grand scheme) stuff.
GX has 90% of the package on 1% of trims aka Luxo. The LSS+ has a lot more range of control in the DRCC system (down to 0) and etc, check the earlier posts.

Maybe, but LX also has TURN ASSIST which we don’t have. Who knows? Maybe we are using older hardware that is not capable of Pedestrian detection. GX is at the very very end of its cycle. Maybe you’re right. But i just don’t see Lexus pumping more money into the GX.

Look at the 2020 Land Cruiser...anniversary!!! Yet, all Toyota could manage with that aging platform are new rims, some logo changes, and take away 3rd row. That should tell you something...Toyota/Lexus is done with GX and LX/LC current platforms. They have moved on.
Turn Assist has nothing to do with LSS, its an offroad feature, where the inside wheels are locked/braked to reduce turning circle. If the GX is at the end of its lifecycle, what would they do to fill in the gap that would be void in an SUV dominant market? If they are going to replace it, nothing on the horizon fits the criteria till MY2023 at the earliest. The RXL is not going to cut it. Plus, the GX line is shared with the Prado, and (im not too sure about the 4 Runner), it`d cost them nothing to keep it running.

Not saying I know whats gonna happen, but lot of things to consider.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion