v-belt replacement - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

v-belt replacement

Old 03-22-19, 05:09 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Curious as to why the OEM part number change. Different vendor used now? And if so, is it proven to be as reliable as the original belt that has been time tested with no failures (that I know of)?
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Romanova
Lexus Test Driver

What a job. A real pain in the butt. It is doable, but the space is so tight and the video from the Tundra is misleading as you won't have even a fraction of the space. Between the front sway bar and a few AC lines, it is difficult to place the breaker bar on the tensioner, more difficult to put the 5mm allen into the hole, and almost impossible to back the tension off when you're done to remove the 5mm allen. It might be easier if you remove the fan. Anyways, it is doable and trust me, if I can do it, you certainly can do it. Took about 45 minutes total and I found that feeding the belt up from the bottom was the easiest, then seating it on the items on the driver's side first and then working towards the passenger side. To take the tension off, I was unable to reuse my breaker bar, it simply wasn't going to work. I used a smaller ratchet that ended up getting stuck and required me to use a pry bar to knock it off of the socket.

Anyways, all done. Fired right up, no squeals, and everything works as it should. The belt that was on it which I assume was the original OEM had no markings at all, though it didn't have any cracks either. If I still have this rig the next time it needs a belt, I'll pay someone to do it as it will need the tensioner at that time and I think that would suck to try and remove simply because the space is so stinkin' tight.

And yes, I know it should be the other way so the text isn't upside down... I wasn't about to go back and fix it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romanova For This Useful Post:
Acrad35751 (Yesterday), tecman (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Do you think a second set of hands would help at all?
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
Romanova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad35751 View Post
Do you think a second set of hands would help at all?
Not at all. There isn't any space to put them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Romanova For This Useful Post:
Acrad35751 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Romanova
Lexus Test Driver

I would say to maybe use a shorter piece of 5mm stock. I tried a T-Handle HF 5mm allen and it was too long. The other L style one I used worked great but I could have probably used the original 1/2" breaker bar if it had been shorter. Cutting it down at least in half would probably work wonders. Or even the set used in the Tundra video might have made my outcome a little less frustrating but still, it would have sucked.

I'm not sure if it would be any different for non-KDSS GXs... you might manage to have a bit more room? The AC lines (maybe for the rear which is why the Tundra doesn't have them in the way?) have a bit of flex, but not much.

If anyone attempts this job in the future and has problems or needs further suggestions, feel free to ask. The feeling of satisfaction on doing a job like this always makes it worthwhile!
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
Acrad35751
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Romanova View Post

The feeling of satisfaction on doing a job like this always makes it worthwhile!
I feel the same way. Thanks again for posting up your experience with this job.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: