GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Seat connector wiring diagram for 2015 GX460 driver seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 10:44 AM
glider1984
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat connector wiring diagram for 2015 GX460 driver seat

Hi all. I'm working on putting a GX460 driver seat into a 2012 FJ Cruiser, and I need pinout information for what looks like the main connector. The big white plug in the pictures below. There are other connectors for the airbag and seat belt pretensioner, so I'm assuming this connector handles power supply for motors (etc.), heating/cooling control, and seat memory setting/selecting. I've seen at least one other thread here talking about seat hookups, but I haven't had any luck finding a wiring diagram describing this connector. Over on the FJ forums there are discussions of retrofitting Lexus seats, but not a full guide to the electrics. I thought I'd ask here before springing for a full field service manual, since I don't own a GX460.

Questions I have:
  1. Which pins are power and ground for the motors? Getting the positioning motors working is the minimal functionality I need.
  2. Are the 'smarts' for position memory in the seat electronics, in the door switch, or somewhere in between? If they're in the seat, I can figure out switches. If they're in the door switch, I can find one of those and build a wiring harness and housing. If they're somewhere in between, I can decide if I have the appetite for trying to hook up an Arduino or something to do the job.
  3. Are heating and cooling commanded from the same set of wires, or does the switch drive different wires depending on whether it's set to heat or to cool?
Any help would be much appreciated. If I can figure this out I'll knock together a quick guide for other FJ Cruiser owners who like everything except the seats.

Last edited by glider1984; 12-09-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-09-18, 12:35 PM
John00
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 275 Posts

That goes from the side switches to the motors, that does not go to the heaters or ventilators. That's the one to disconnect so passengers don't move the seat.
The following users liked this post:
glider1984 (12-09-18)
Old 12-09-18, 04:30 PM
glider1984
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John00
That goes from the side switches to the motors, that does not go to the heaters or ventilators. That's the one to disconnect so passengers don't move the seat.
Huh. I'm probably being dumb -- in fact I'm sure I am, given how hard a time I'm having figuring this all out -- but it looks like this branches off in a couple of directions, one going to the switches and the other (several) going out to the individual motors. And I can't find a matching connector description in the various manuals that folks have PMed me (thanks!)
Old 12-09-18, 05:43 PM
John00
Racer

I think it is tricky, finding the proper wiring is a pain, and i havent dont it yet. The main reason I have a GX instead of a 4R is the seats, so Im somewhat interested in this. Might one day consider a seat swap, although now im wanting to try the new navigator seats, those are so very nice.

THis diagram below, and some other things ive seen, indicate that the switchbox has more than just switches in it. might be a controller or relays at a minimum.

Maybe not the correct diagram (I really dont know) but should be similar for at least motor wiring. note the lumbar, which is a separate switch, is shown as separate. other wires going to the switches may be coming from the memory area in the door as CAN signals.

looks like the connector set although for my diagrams perhaps a different location

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...492260120.html

theres the part that I have.

another pic showing the switch and connectors

Last edited by John00; 12-09-18 at 05:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by John00:
Acrad (02-10-19), hzhao (04-22-22)
Old 12-09-18, 05:58 PM
John00
Racer

Attached is another version, with a simple switch set without controllers or any of that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
seatold wiring.pdf (193.0 KB, 250 views)
Old 12-09-18, 06:08 PM
glider1984
Driver School Candidate

Ah, that's the connector alright. OK, I think that's getting us somewhere: the connector in my picture matches the larger Rb1. Per that first (color) wiring schematic in your post, looks like positive for the motor power comes from pin #1 on the Rb1 connector, with a white wire (upper left). The ground also goes to Rb1, with a white and black wire to Rb1 pin #5. Those match the colors of the wires coming out the back of Rb1 on the seat I have (photo is upside-down from the connector drawing you provided):

Old 12-10-18, 02:13 PM
John00
Racer

should be able to trace the pins to the motors to double check, then test them with a power supply. let us know how the project progresses
Acrad (12-12-18)
Old 12-12-18, 04:26 PM
glider1984
Driver School Candidate

Will do. Have looked up some connectors, ordered a few bits and bobs. Planning to build a harness to plug the GX460 seat into the FJ's existing connectors to get basic functionality sorted and sensors working. Will figure out what's going on with the non-operating motors, probably while waiting for the wiring bits to arrive. Heating/cooling integration is likely next, and sorting out seat memory position will come last.

To answer my own question, looks like the seat memory function is driven by the "seat ECU" behind the seat position switches, but the selection and setting of memory commands come over CANBus from the switch in the door.
Acrad (12-12-18)
Old 06-21-20, 10:38 AM
GXomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glider1984
Will do. Have looked up some connectors, ordered a few bits and bobs. Planning to build a harness to plug the GX460 seat into the FJ's existing connectors to get basic functionality sorted and sensors working. Will figure out what's going on with the non-operating motors, probably while waiting for the wiring bits to arrive. Heating/cooling integration is likely next, and sorting out seat memory position will come last.

To answer my own question, looks like the seat memory function is driven by the "seat ECU" behind the seat position switches, but the selection and setting of memory commands come over CANBus from the switch in the door.
Hey glider, I'm looking to do exactly the same with 2015 GX460 front seats - what part number was the A/C amp you used? Sorry for resurrecting this thread!
Old 06-21-20, 11:36 AM
glider1984
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GXomo
Hey glider, I'm looking to do exactly the same with 2015 GX460 front seats - what part number was the A/C amp you used? Sorry for resurrecting this thread!
I didn't get as far as an AC amp, and don't have cooling working on the seat. I managed to fry the motor controller board and ended up building a replacement with Arduino parts.Interested to hear what AC amp would work, though. Originally I thought that was too much extra cash and it surely couldn't be that hard to just rig something up. Bit less enthusiastic about that now...
Old 04-22-22, 03:48 AM
GXomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glider1984
I didn't get as far as an AC amp, and don't have cooling working on the seat. I managed to fry the motor controller board and ended up building a replacement with Arduino parts.Interested to hear what AC amp would work, though. Originally I thought that was too much extra cash and it surely couldn't be that hard to just rig something up. Bit less enthusiastic about that now...
Finally getting around to trying to install this lol.

So kind of like you, atm the only thing I want to do is get the motors working - everything else can wait. Am I understanding correctly they are powered by pin 1 and ground is pin 5? Could you confirm what pin size you used for the RB1 plug? having a really hard time finding it (found the female lexus connector is P/N 90980-12373, but not sure if this comes with female pins aleady included? saw a reference that replacement pins for this might be P/N 82998-24270, but these seem like male pins in any pic I can find...)\

Also, how did you manage to fry the motor board? obv. something I very much want to avoid haha

Any help getting these powered up would be much appreciated, thanks very much in advance.

Kind regards,
GXOmo

Last edited by GXomo; 04-22-22 at 04:11 AM.