GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 04:27 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

If the vehicle is equipped with ventilated front seats, disable them for the duration of your test drive and check back here. My GX is "tomb" quiet. It sounds your particular dealer will say anything to sell you a car. Test drive other brand new GXs to see if it exhibits the same symptoms you are experiencing.
Old 11-13-18, 04:40 PM
dduraman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltsr
If the vehicle is equipped with ventilated front seats, disable them for the duration of your test drive and check back here. My GX is "tomb" quiet. It sounds your particular dealer will say anything to sell you a car. Test drive other brand new GXs to see if it exhibits the same symptoms you are experiencing.
i disabled the ventilation while I was driving. I already test drove other GX at other dealer and did not notice the wind noise inside. I will test drive again at thr dealer I got my GX from. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-13-18, 04:43 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dduraman

i disabled the ventilation while I was driving. I already test drove other GX at other dealer and did not notice the wind noise inside. I will test drive again at thr dealer I got my GX from. Thanks for your input.
I was really hoping it was something simple and it was the ventilated seats. Do the doors close properly? maybe check the rubber seal around the door on both sides of the vehicle so you have a reference point. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 11-13-18, 06:29 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Wait...I had similar problems and dealer easily fixed it.

I'm on mobile and it's hard to use the search function but please search using my login name to see if the fix can be applied to you.

Good luck.

Went out and snapped a quick picture. The fix is that fell foam you see in the center of the pix.

Last edited by GoHuskers; 11-13-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 04:33 AM
dduraman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ltsr
I was really hoping it was something simple and it was the ventilated seats. Do the doors close properly? maybe check the rubber seal around the door on both sides of the vehicle so you have a reference point. Hope you get it sorted soon.
thank you.
i and the dealer both agreed that the wind noise is coming from the rear seat belt pillar. All windows and doors were completely closed. The dealer kept saying it is normal to GX, which I do not believe it is.
This Saturday I will test drive GXs on their lot to see if those GXs have the same noise inside coming from the rear seat belt.

Last edited by dduraman; 11-14-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 04:44 AM
dduraman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Wait...I had similar problems and dealer easily fixed it.

I'm on mobile and it's hard to use the search function but please search using my login name to see if the fix can be applied to you.

Good luck.

Went out and snapped a quick picture. The fix is that fell foam you see in the center of the pix.
I was not able to locate your post relating to wind noise. Did you have a similar issue as I have? Wind noise coming from rear seat belt pillar? Not from windows and doors. Wind Swirling sound. Very annoying.
Currently, my GX is with the dealer’s service center cuz I denied to pick it up as the issue has not been addressed properly. I am going to go to the dealer again and show them the pic you posted here.
thank you

Last edited by dduraman; 11-14-18 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 05:03 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by dduraman
I was not able to locate your post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-rattles.html
Old 11-14-18, 06:06 AM
dduraman
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the link.
I don't know what cause the wind coming through the seat belt pillar and making noise there.
I will point out to the dealer to check the rear wheel cover. perhaps it is not securely tightened so wind comes in through the gap?

Last edited by dduraman; 11-14-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 04:44 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I have very faint wind noise as well on my '18. Only noticeable with radio off. II have no idea where it is coming from but t is a wind noise since it only happens during high winds or at higher speeds. It almost sounds like an old school radio tuning or a crack on the window but very faint.
Old 11-14-18, 08:09 PM
dduraman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I have no idea where it is coming from but t is a wind noise since it only happens during high winds or at higher speeds.
The wind noise is noticeable at 25mph on a local road.
no high winds while I was driving.
It is coming from the rear seatbelt pillar.
Old 12-13-18, 02:56 PM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I read a thread about a sort of whining noise towards the rear of the cabin that occurred after a modest 4 wheeling adventure. It turned out that electrically deploying the third row seats and then re-stowing them stopped that noise. It does not sound like this is that, but it's an easy gambit. Best of luck with it.
Old 01-27-19, 03:14 PM
ddixon
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind Noise

New member here....2016 gx460 has a wind noise whistle around 45mph and up. Put sunroof up for vent seems to stop. Thought it was the roof racks although I cannot figure out how to remove. they seem to gave key locks on each side?? Tried valet key does not seem to work? Any ideas?? Planning to take to dealer for inspection as this is annoying.
Old 01-28-19, 03:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Welcome to CL

You have OEM cross bars? Not sure why venting the sunroof would resolve this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tructions.html
Old 01-29-19, 07:50 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Before I installed my full length overland rack, I did not have any noise when my sunroof was open.
Now to clarify, not having any noise with an open sunroof is an ambiguous term. It will never be as quiet as if it were closed, so that being said, are you maybe being too sensitive about the wind noise?
Suggestions:
  • If you have the cross bars, another option may be to move the cross bars further forward or back depending up their relationship to your sunroof. If a cross bar is just over your sunroof I can see there being an unacceptable amount of noise.
  • See if you can purchase or make a wind screen to go in front of your sunroof.
I hope this helps.
Old 05-29-20, 11:42 AM
Brian22015
Driver School Candidate

Default 2017 GX 460 Wind noise & dash lights

Purchased a L/Certified 2017 GX 460 Premium 13 months ago. More than long enough to have two complaints: (1) Excessive wind noise, always. I keep looking back to see if tailgate window is open. Noise is shocking to me. Was not expecting this of Lexus. Especially, since Consumer Reports' review of the 2017 states "The cabin is outstandingly quiet, with barely any wind or road noise, and just a pleasing hum from the engine." This in NO WAY describes my GX. Pulled along side another GX recently & asked the driver if she has a lot of wind noise. She immediately replied "YES." All rubber seals on all doors/windows are fine. Anyone else experience the wind noise?

(2) Don't understand why manufacturers insist on having sensors to auto dim/brighten dash lights. I want to set mine & have it never change. Been through all the driver accessible settings & "dealer only" settings. Can't seem to change this. Dealer says only way to "disable" the feature is to set dash lights to full brightness. I don't want that. Drive under an overpass, dash lights dim or brighten. Annoying to me. Often, less is more. Stop controlling everything! I want to control my own s&%t!!! Anyone else?

Quick Reply: Wind Noise