GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Throttle Body and MAF cleaning

Old 10-27-18, 05:41 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,553 Likes on 2,327 Posts
Lightbulb Throttle Body and MAF cleaning

I thought I would start a maintenance thread on throttle body and MAF cleaning.

I'll edit this in to a more cohesive post as maintenance is done or adding more info.

I plan to pick this up and I imagine things have to be really...really bad to gain 4-10 HP at the rear wheels. :-)

You will see some videos on Youtube that Toyota/Lexus motors will go into a high idle state after a throttle body cleaning as they are now passing more air and need to adjust. The FSM states you can just pull the EFI fuse to speed this up. I'll post where that is later.

Not really that much disassembly to do this.

[MAF location]

[MAF Removal]

[MAF Cleaning]: IMO I would not touch any wires and use the CRC MAF spray above to clean dirty sensor wires. If any instructions on CRC can are different I will update.
========================================
[Throttle Body Location]

[Throttle Body Check with Techstream] - I would only go down this troubleshooting if I suspected a problem.

[Removing items to access Throttle body] - I don't plan to remove throttle body but to clean in place. Some remove completely. I do not plan to do that.

[Clean throttle body with CRC cleaner] - I am told throttle plate can be actuated for cleaning as long as vehicle is completely powered off. Clean in place and don't remove screws in picture below.

Last edited by Acrad; 10-24-21 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-28-18, 08:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

EFI fuse appears to be #9 in under-hood fuse block

Old 10-28-18, 09:17 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

A good writeup on a Tundra

https://www.tundras.com/threads/diy-...write-up.6293/
Old 10-05-19, 12:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Noticed the slightest of a rough idle so thought I would do a MAF and Throttle Body cleaning. It was very dirty and it seems to have smoothed idle out noticeably.

RPM after cleaning was a little high but expected this as vehicle adjusts to more airflow from cleaning. I wouldn't call what I did the most comprehensive cleaning but I was able to get all the dirty areas around throttle plate and throttle plate edges cleaned with some q-tips with wooden handles and some TB spray. RPM settled after a few minutes.

I gave the MAF sensor a few shots of MAF cleaner as well.

I didn't want to risk messing up the throttle adjustment so after I had removed everything needed I plugged the MAF back, turned vehicle on and placed a heavy object to floor the accelerator in a non-running vehicle. This opened the throttle fully. I applied no significant pressure to the throttle plate while cleaning. The TB solution seems to break through the residue/grease fairly easily.

Some day I need to take some video how Pedal Commander influences throttle opening versus stock.
The following users liked this post:
Mojlnir (10-05-19)
Old 07-25-20, 06:01 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Just did this also and noticed a smoother idle and acceleration. Before I used to get this tiny vibration in the pedal at 40-50% throttle 1.5K-2K RPM. It’s still there but much less. I hooked up my OBD2 reader to monitor before and after and it seems to help returning my LTFT to normal a bit (before part throttle +9%, after cleaning 6%) and fuel economy improved ~0.5 mpg. As Acrad mentioned, plug in the MAF before turning on accessories or the ECU will throw a permanent code for not detecting the MAF (air intake temp hi OOS and MAF reading high OOS). When the throttle pedal is pushed all the way down the throttle plate opens about 90 degrees from open. There’s a distinct catch noise when the plate comes closed against the caked up throttle body. It’s gone now once it’s cleaned.

2010 GX460 150k miles
Acrad (07-25-20)
Old 07-26-20, 04:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You guys ever thought about doing a catch can? It would pretty much eliminate this oil going through the intake. I bet having the intake manifold extrude honed would make nice improvement. Someone did this on their LS and claimed 10 HP and better mileage under normal cruising conditions

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-26-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 01:55 PM
aam2460
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

thank you guys, I just cleaned mine after 135k miles, It made the difference of the world in the performance.
Old 09-08-20, 03:15 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 581 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You guys ever thought about doing a catch can? It would pretty much eliminate this oil going through the intake. I bet having the intake manifold extrude honed would make nice improvement. Someone did this on their LS and claimed 10 HP and better mileage under normal cruising conditions
I've installed aftermarket catch cans on various other toyotas over the years including 4runners and opted against it on the gx460. While it does remove oil from the intake manifold via the Pcv exhaust, the benefit to engine longevity or performance was not quantifiable compared to running a complete fuel system cleaner every oil change... plus it kinda voids the engine warranty if something were to break with the install... since theres no major engine issues with the gx460 outside of the timing cover which is never catastrophic, no point creating one.. if I want better than 20mpg fuel efficiency I'll buy a rivian.

Old 09-09-20, 09:22 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

The last time I cleaned the throttle body on my last car, the idle raised so much that I couldn’t get it down.

Glad to see it’s self-adjusting with the GX. This is one of the concerns I have while cleaning it.
Old 09-09-20, 09:28 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Could you have the ignition ON and have someone press the gas pedal to open the throttle plate without having to manually do it? As long as the vehicle isn't running, this should work, right?
Old 09-09-20, 02:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Romanova
Could you have the ignition ON and have someone press the gas pedal to open the throttle plate without having to manually do it? As long as the vehicle isn't running, this should work, right?
That is how I cleaned mine... I had a board that depressed accelerator to the floor while the vehicle was not running but turned On. Throttle plate opened up for me to clean.

Romanova (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 09:37 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad
That is how I cleaned mine... I had a board that depressed accelerator to the floor while the vehicle was not running but turned On. Throttle plate opened up for me to clean.
Had I read your original post more carefully, I would have seen that!
Good info and a good thread, going to order the cleaner and do my GX, which is at about 125k now. Will update here once I have completed it.
Acrad (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 12:25 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

The TB plate usually has some sort of grease or lubricant where connects to the body and it is recommended to avoid those areas. Did you see anything on the Lexus TB?

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 09-10-20 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 02:09 PM
Romanova
Racer

Just completed this on my GX460 and did the MAF on my LS430 and my ES330.

For the GX, mine didn't seem to be too dirty, and it cleaned up pretty quickly. I had my son sit in the car with his foot on the gas to open the throttle plate. When I went to restart it after putting it back together, I did get an extended crank before the engine finally caught and I had a CEL once it was running. The car had a P0102 for the MAF, so I cleared the code and it didn't come back. Numerous subsequent restarts resulted in the usual starting method, so I'm not sure why it cranked so much on the first time. Maybe I sprayed too much MAF cleaner or didn't let it dry out enough first.

I did notice while monitoring the TPS, that at idle, it's at 17 and at full throttle, it only goes to 82 (maybe 86... I don't recall). I'm sure that's normal but still seems a bit odd. Oh well, finished the job with a fresh Denso air filter. Last one was only two years and about 15k on it, seemed fine but they are so cheap, why not? Oh, the clip that holds the MAF harness to the airbox also broke on me, chalk it up to brittle plastic.

Both of these are before pictures...
And come to think of it, I believe my GX had the throttle body replaced at about 70k. I'll have to look at the Lexus Drivers site again, so that might have something to do with why it was so clean at 125k.

Went and looked;
SERVICE: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON
DESCRIPTION: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON ~|~CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON ~|~ ~|~72176 AFTER TIMING COVER REPAIR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON, CODE P2111, THROTTLE CONTROL ACTUATOR STUCK OPEN, REPLACED THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY

Got the timing cover and the throttle body replaced, would have been under CPO warranty for the previous owner. That was an expensive repair though.

Last edited by Romanova; 09-18-20 at 02:21 PM.
Acrad (09-18-20)
Old 09-18-20, 02:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That looks pretty clean. I'll need to do gather some TPS stats on mine. At some point I wanted to see & cam capture what effect Pedal Commander had on throttle body opening. Stock programming in another make of mine showed a muting of throttle on a pedal mash. I want to see if there are any differences between PD installed and not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Body and MAF cleaning