GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

From MDX to GX

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 09:28 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default From MDX to GX

Hello. Long time member of Club Lexus. Had an LS400 for years. Many years without posting. Have been without Lexus for about 5-6.

My wife has been an MDX driver for the past 7-years. Had a 2008 that we sold and leased a 2016 MDX. Hated leasing. Decided we either needed to buy the MDX off lease or change brands.

When I received the recall on the 9 speed transmission for the MDX that was it. Too many bad experiences with lower quality Honda vehicles. We are turning in the MDX and last weekend bought a 2015 Clariet Mica GX460 locally with 34k miles. Not certified. Found it at a Chevrolet dealership that bought it off lease. Got a decent deal and plan on driving this for many many years. Still has about 10 months Lexus bumper-to-bumper warranty and remainder of drivetrain warranty.

Night and day difference driving the MDX versus the GX. The GX is quieter, drives better, better built, higher quality materials. The list goes on and on. We love dark red vehicles and this combo really is nice.

No real plans to do anything other than normal maintenance and just drive it for (hopefully) the better part of 7-10 years as I believe it will hold up very well.

The following users liked this post:
Acrad (07-29-18)
Old 07-29-18, 10:25 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats! I had an older MDX as well and GX has much more useful spaces as well.
Old 07-29-18, 10:46 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Congrats! I had an older MDX as well and GX has much more useful spaces as well.
Thanks!
MDX is a fine vehicle. My big complaint with both the 2008 and the 2016 was they felt "tiny" just not as bank vault like. Honda VTEC V6 is a dream. So was the SH-AWD. However, in 2016 they introduced the ZF 9-Speed transmission. While it looked like an amazing feat. It is not smooth. Such short ratios.

The GX feels much more like a luxury vehicle.
Old 07-29-18, 12:43 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Congrats Love that color,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ar-choice.html
Old 07-29-18, 01:14 PM
Zahid
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I almost bought that color for a 2016 recently. Decided to go with silver instead. Love that color too. Good choice and congrats!
Old 07-29-18, 03:51 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Congrats. My brother has a 2014 GX460 in that color and it looks really "rich". Also, my sister has a 2016 MAX but I haven't heard her complained about it , maybe she doesnt know about car amd gears.
Old 07-29-18, 04:29 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Congrats. My brother has a 2014 GX460 in that color and it looks really "rich". Also, my sister has a 2016 MAX but I haven't heard her complained about it , maybe she doesnt know about car amd gears.
The ZF9HP was added to the 2016 MDX and other Acura models with the J-Series V6. It is also used in a number of other vehicles. Initially there were a large number of complaints about harsh shifting and it was contributed to bad programming. Honda/Acura offered reprogramming and that helped. Then about six months ago owners of 2016 and some 2017 MDXs received service notices. There is a faulty cooler inside some vehicles that allow engine oil and transmission oil to mix causing failures. They offered an extended 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the part and if it fails on the trans and engine.

After having a 2003 Accord V6 with a recalled 5 Speed Auto and then a 2008 MDX with wonky torque converter issues I said enough is enough.

On top of it all I feel like the 9 speed is not smooth. Jerky and very disconnected feeling.

I've heard owners of newer models are happy. So maybe they have fixed the design or the programming.
Old 07-31-18, 01:36 PM
12valver
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You echo a sentiment I've been feeling since the days of my Japanese built 1994 Honda Accord 5spd which I loved; after 1997, a disappointing decline in engineering and "bean counters" influencing things like paint quality. It seems like Honda clearcoat is designed to fail in about 7 years vs about 12-14 for Toyota. I will never buy another Honda product save for things like gensets and niche collectibles like a S2000 or NSX.

The topper was hearing about new Honda Pilots rolling off the lots and trannies failing within 100 miles. A friend had his 2014 honda's front wheel bearings fail at 40K (right out of warranty). I can't even recall ever hearing of such a fail from 90's built Honda's with 300K plus miles. Obviously a different car company now...
Old 07-31-18, 05:46 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I considered buying a new MDX when it came out (2014?) couldn’t do it so here I am...No regrets!
Old 08-01-18, 09:58 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats on the GX!

We own a 2010 MDX which has been a great vehicle for us, but will probably be selling soon. I've driven a 15 or 16 MDX and IMO it's an even bigger step in the car/crossover direction, barely feels like you're driving an SUV.

Agree, it seems like Honda has gotten cheaper in their build over the years. Also it doesn't make sense how they do things like putting their latest and greatest infotainment in the Pilot, but the more expensive "luxury" MDX still gets old outdated stuff.
Old 08-01-18, 12:47 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Congrats on the GX!

We own a 2010 MDX which has been a great vehicle for us, but will probably be selling soon. I've driven a 15 or 16 MDX and IMO it's an even bigger step in the car/crossover direction, barely feels like you're driving an SUV.

Agree, it seems like Honda has gotten cheaper in their build over the years. Also it doesn't make sense how they do things like putting their latest and greatest infotainment in the Pilot, but the more expensive "luxury" MDX still gets old outdated stuff.
It is weird right?
Old 08-03-18, 12:02 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 12valver
You echo a sentiment I've been feeling since the days of my Japanese built 1994 Honda Accord 5spd which I loved; after 1997, a disappointing decline in engineering and "bean counters" influencing things like paint quality. It seems like Honda clearcoat is designed to fail in about 7 years vs about 12-14 for Toyota. I will never buy another Honda product save for things like gensets and niche collectibles like a S2000 or NSX.

The topper was hearing about new Honda Pilots rolling off the lots and trannies failing within 100 miles. A friend had his 2014 honda's front wheel bearings fail at 40K (right out of warranty). I can't even recall ever hearing of such a fail from 90's built Honda's with 300K plus miles. Obviously a different car company now...
So true!

Quality continued to decline but sales skyrocket.

In 2003 I bought one of the new Accord V6 coupes. Looked beautiful. Within 20k miles the paint started to spider web. Even though it was always garaged and paint was waxed frequently. Dealer said it was "environmental" and not covered under warranty.

At 30k miles the transmission received a service recall to get a new pump kit that would better lubricate some of the gears.

I traded it on a Pontiac GTO in 2005. Loved the GTO!

Then we had another child and sold the GTO to get my wife an MDX.

Long story short. I think we are likely done with Honda. Maybe the new ones are getting better quality materials. Until then we are thoroughly enjoying the GX.
Old 08-04-18, 07:56 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CONGRATS!!!!! The smartest move you could of made! I just got rid of a 2015 MDX with only 19000 miles....and it was a piece of junk! Even with Acura Corp, Area Rep involved, the MDX spent more time in the shop than I actually droved it.

I drove my 2004 GX470 with 126000 miles to the Acura dealer to say hello to my Service Rep...not a sales rep nor a used car rep, but the service manager wanted to buy it for himself right then and there! He commented that my GX looked just like it just came off the Lexus showroom floor...

If you treat your GX well, it will last you at least the min of 300000 miles

Best of luck!!!
Old 08-16-18, 07:24 AM
1squirrel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We too were victim of a MDX bad experience. We had a 2014 with the 6 speed transmission... that thing was a turd. We had nothing but issues, dealer tried to reprogram the tranny, but could never get it to shift smooth. The fit and finish was weak too. Traded it for an IS 350. Going to trade in my 4runner for a GX shortly.
Old 08-19-18, 01:55 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 94 accord 4 door 5 speed that would not die. That was the perfect vehicle to start out in. Sold it with 155,000 miles and mechanically it was just broken in. Your statement about Honda not being the same company that they used to be is very true. I have made the switch to Toyota and don’t plan on leaving unless the reliability of future vehicles decreases.

Originally Posted by 12valver

Quick Reply: From MDX to GX