2019 refresh watch

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 09:26 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
It should say on your window sticker.
It doesn't, just says it has the premium option and it is not very detail on what premium includes, the lexus brochure says that premium does come with "leather trimmed interior" and only the base model should come with the Nuluxe. However, i did see a "premium" model with the darker wooden trim at a dealer which should only comer on a base model. Is that a known mix up with base and premium models?

Also the insurance shows the vehicle as base model, not premium.
Old 08-18-18, 05:28 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Problem existed in 2018 too. The competition offers new cars right now, Lexus and Toyota still selling old cars.

I believe in Toyota products but if I'm buying a new car, I want it to be a new car, and not something that's going on a decade old.
Even though I agree with you on the tech being old.. there are so many positives that offset the negative with this truck. Love mine!!
Old 08-18-18, 07:43 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Color / Trim / Nuluxe & Leather option differences between '18 and '19

[2018]

[2019]

I think the the year is reversed.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (08-18-18)
Old 08-18-18, 08:36 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Thanks

just fixed it
Old 08-18-18, 02:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Driver Support Package on Luxury cut $2000

https://www.lexus.com/models/GX/packages

Old 08-19-18, 03:36 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

In-transit

Last edited by Acrad; 08-19-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 06:51 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
You're looking at it from the wrong angle. It's like buying a classic - it will never go out of style. And it can't get old - it's already old! And a bit older than a decade under the skin.
4Runners sell like hotcakes, even more so in the last years. Many people want reliable cars, not technology on wheels.
And with the LC Pardo platform being popular in countries where dealer services, and civilization for that matter, are far in between it keeps GX and 4Runner resale value high.
I mean, how many cars are made nowadays with a true center diff and not an imitation? Even Subaru gave up on that. Never mind a full spare.

One thing I'm afraid that a new GX would get the venerable joystick (as we have in the RX) or even worse, touchpad that the joystick functionality was relegated to as-is.

One has to travel to a remote place to truly appreciate what the LC stands for. I really longed for a Landcruiser (that's what they call Prado LC) on a trip to Iceland.
Especially when the rental Renault broke down and I had to get a replacement towed to the other side of the country.
Landcruisers rule the area, and for a good reason, they just work well in the environment... any environment.
All good points.

For what it's worth though, the Prado just got a refresh. Wrangler just got a redesign too. 4runner and GX sell units, but Wrangler crushes them both even when combined.

It's just very difficult for me to justify buying a new car when I know there is a new one just a year out (at least, there should be). The current GX can and will look old when the new or refreshed model comes out, which has been "less than a year from now" for about two years now.

And then in general it's tough to justify spending $50k, $60k on something that doesn't have the latest tech, and is still sold with stuff like super-dated unusable nav as some sort of luxury feature. If you buy virtually any other Lexus, or even something like a Toyota Highlander for half price, you get Toyota Safety Sense standard which IMO is a great feature and is overdue on the GX.

If it was for me, I'd just spend $30k or less on another used one. But alas, for the wife...

Last edited by Craigyyy; 08-20-18 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 07:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

All good points.

For what it's worth though, the Prado just got a refresh. Wrangler just got a redesign too. 4runner and GX sell units, but Wrangler crushes them both even when combined.

It's just very difficult for me to justify buying a new car when I know there is a new one just a year out (at least, there should be). The current GX can and will look old when the new or refreshed model comes out, which has been "less than a year from now" for about two years now.

And then in general it's tough to justify spending $50k, $60k on something that doesn't have the latest tech, and is still sold with stuff like super-dated unusable nav as some sort of luxury feature. If you buy virtually any other Lexus, or even something like a Toyota Highlander for half price, you get Toyota Safety Sense standard which IMO is a great feature and is overdue on the GX.

If it was for me, I'd just spend $30k or less on another used one. But alas, for the wife...
I get it. I've been waiting for the refresh myself and counting the years as well.
I've been on the fence whether to replace our RX450h with the GX460 or not.
We decided to give it another year, and see where it goes.
Subaru Ascent may be a good (and cheaper) alternative, having all the latest tech, convenient hatch, and everything, but I keep coming back to Lexus for some reason.
Old 08-20-18, 08:52 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I get it. I've been waiting for the refresh myself and counting the years as well.
I've been on the fence whether to replace our RX450h with the GX460 or not.
We decided to give it another year, and see where it goes.
Subaru Ascent may be a good (and cheaper) alternative, having all the latest tech, convenient hatch, and everything, but I keep coming back to Lexus for some reason.
I totally understand about the latest tech etc... and that was a battle that I had to fight with myself and I’m glad I ended up with a GX. Subaru makes a good product but it’ll no way on earth compare to the GX. Raised up outback or whatever car platform that thing is based on won’t give you the off-road prowess that the GX will give you. Plus.. that H6 or H4 motor is total garbage in front of the 1UR.
Old 08-20-18, 10:45 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

All good points.

All good points, but even used, is hard for anyone to justify. The new and used prices have never been as low as they are now, and as per the speculative market of the GX, used prices are not normal or at least not linear as they are with most vehicles. These are not investments, but these things really do claw onto their tail end value when everything else is worth crumbs.
Old 08-20-18, 03:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Here are some GX price trends

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-...Lexus-GX-d2063

Last edited by Acrad; 08-20-18 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-20-18, 09:04 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

I could sell my brand new gx and could make few grand off of it lol.
Old 08-21-18, 07:46 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I could sell my brand new gx and could make few grand off of it lol.
heck yeah.. I can make 10k based on that report.. lol
Old 08-22-18, 02:50 PM
JuBu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW (probably not much), my dealer told me that he's seen no signs of a refresh occurring anytime soon--he guessed MY2021 at the earliest.
Old 08-24-18, 03:44 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Disappointing they didn't include Apple CarPlay. They seem to be rolling this out to quite a few other Toyota and Lexus models in 2019. This would have had me considering replacing my pre-facelift with the spindle-grill. I still prefer the looks of the 10'-13' MYs (I really like the refreshed Prado front end the most!).

Last edited by KJ6IRM; 08-26-18 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 refresh watch