Old 07-31-18, 04:59 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
? the mini ute underneath the NX
This was officially announced during the New York Autoshow in March:

https://www.lexus.com/documents/conc...March_2018.pdf

With no any information for 2019 GX and other activities going on, I am afraid Toyota will continue promoting LC line and remove GX from Lexus line up....... The Lexus line will most likely be streamline to UX, NX, RX, LX for the crossover and SUV; ES, LS for the Sedans; and RC, LC, LF-A for the sports.......
Old 07-31-18, 06:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Not really any meat here and I think this has been speculated before

A freshening should come for the 2020 or 2021 model year, followed by a redesign no sooner than 2022.
Old 08-01-18, 09:27 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah lots of these threads past few years.

The new model 2010 GX460 was revealed in December of 2009, very late. The 2014 refresh was announced August 23, 2013. http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...60+pricing.htm Thus it would seem we'd hear about any potential refresh for 2019 between now and the end of the year, if one is coming at all.

There are *many* theories on when the next GX, or at least a second GX refresh, will show up:

1) Traditionally the GX updates line up with the 4Runner in the north american market, but there's no guarantee of that continuing. The 2019 4Runner has already been shown and we know that there are no substantial updates for the 2019 4runner which would not bode well for a GX refresh or redesign.

2) Prado was given its second facelift/refresh a year ago, first seen around September 2017. With the GX being essentially a Lexus-badged Prado, these models should also line up, particularly in the markets where both the Toyota Prado and Lexus GX are sold together, but again there is no guarantee. At the time we saw the Prado refresh, there were light hopes that we'd see a GX refresh in the days thereafter but obviously those hopes were not fulfilled.

3) Another historical idea was that GX updates tend to follow LX updates by a year or two. If you go back and look at the timeline closely this doesn't always hold true but if you glance casually this sort of appears the case. Regardless of relevance, LX was updated for 2016 and we've had two more years of GX without any updates to match.

4) A more recent popular line of reasoning is that Lexus/Toyota are planning to make their Toyota Safety Sense/ Lexus Safety System fleet-wide, and thus a refresh including such as standard on GX should be right around the corner. They didn't do it for 2017 with the initial rollout, so we thought it would be for 2018, but it didn't happen for 2018 either.

5) Also recently was the idea that Lexus has been offering pretty good incentives on the GX (recently a $4k cash incentive), in theory clearing them out in advance of a refreshed or redesigned GX. However, Lexus has always offered good incentives on the GX from time to time throughout its life cycle, and this is nothing new or out of the ordinary.

6) According to some sources Toyota is planning to shift all of its vehicles to a new global architecture "TNGA," with body-on-frame vehicles all eventually being on a newly developed "TNGA-F" platform. I want to say Autonews was speculating that Tundra would be the first on the new platform, other articles theorizing that Landcruiser/LX would be first on this platform as it is the halo truck, with the other BOF vehicles rolling out in the years thereafter. Again, along with the 2019 4runner, we've seen the 2019 Tundra Pro already, and it's the same old Tundra with a few more bells and whistles. That would put a new Tundra at 2020 at the earliest, with 4runner, GX, etc to follow sometime in 2021 or 2022. But really almost all of this "news" has been journalist and blogger speculation and not bound to any real fact.

7) The last and most basic line of reasoning is that the GX is just getting old, plain and simple, Toyota seems to follow a 4 year or 8 year product cycle, and it's time for something new. This was largely true for 4Runner, GX470, and the initial GX460 2010-2013, but the facelift GX460 is now five years old, with the GX460 being largely the same for nine total model years. This current gen 4runner will run for at least ten model years and the current facelift at least six of those. If you expand your sights a little further, Toyota has been selling the same Tundras Sequoias with virtually no update since 2007. They've also gone from a one-refresh cycle to a two-refresh cycle on the Land Cruiser/LX and LC Prado, so it's unlikely the next news will be a redesign. It's very clear that Toyota is very, very lazy with their body-on-frame lineup as they are cheap to produce, still all sell very well, and make tons of money for Toyota's bottom line as-is. Best case we can hope for is going to be another light refresh, and not a true redesign or substantial overhaul.
The following 2 users liked this post by Craigyyy:
BrickHead (01-15-19), Hobbes22 (08-02-18)
Old 08-01-18, 12:12 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Yeah lots of these threads past few years.

The new model 2010 GX460 was revealed in December of 2009, very late. The 2014 refresh was announced August 23, 2013. http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...60+pricing.htm Thus it would seem we'd hear about any potential refresh for 2019 between now and the end of the year, if one is coming at all.

There are *many* theories on when the next GX, or at least a second GX refresh, will show up:

1) Traditionally the GX updates line up with the 4Runner in the north american market, but there's no guarantee of that continuing. The 2019 4Runner has already been shown and we know that there are no substantial updates for the 2019 4runner which would not bode well for a GX refresh or redesign.

2) Prado was given its second facelift/refresh a year ago, first seen around September 2017. With the GX being essentially a Lexus-badged Prado, these models should also line up, particularly in the markets where both the Toyota Prado and Lexus GX are sold together, but again there is no guarantee. At the time we saw the Prado refresh, there were light hopes that we'd see a GX refresh in the days thereafter but obviously those hopes were not fulfilled.

3) Another historical idea was that GX updates tend to follow LX updates by a year or two. If you go back and look at the timeline closely this doesn't always hold true but if you glance casually this sort of appears the case. Regardless of relevance, LX was updated for 2016 and we've had two more years of GX without any updates to match.

4) A more recent popular line of reasoning is that Lexus/Toyota are planning to make their Toyota Safety Sense/ Lexus Safety System fleet-wide, and thus a refresh including such as standard on GX should be right around the corner. They didn't do it for 2017 with the initial rollout, so we thought it would be for 2018, but it didn't happen for 2018 either.

5) Also recently was the idea that Lexus has been offering pretty good incentives on the GX (recently a $4k cash incentive), in theory clearing them out in advance of a refreshed or redesigned GX. However, Lexus has always offered good incentives on the GX from time to time throughout its life cycle, and this is nothing new or out of the ordinary.

6) According to some sources Toyota is planning to shift all of its vehicles to a new global architecture "TNGA," with body-on-frame vehicles all eventually being on a newly developed "TNGA-F" platform. I want to say Autonews was speculating that Tundra would be the first on the new platform, other articles theorizing that Landcruiser/LX would be first on this platform as it is the halo truck, with the other BOF vehicles rolling out in the years thereafter. Again, along with the 2019 4runner, we've seen the 2019 Tundra Pro already, and it's the same old Tundra with a few more bells and whistles. That would put a new Tundra at 2020 at the earliest, with 4runner, GX, etc to follow sometime in 2021 or 2022. But really almost all of this "news" has been journalist and blogger speculation and not bound to any real fact.

7) The last and most basic line of reasoning is that the GX is just getting old, plain and simple, Toyota seems to follow a 4 year or 8 year product cycle, and it's time for something new. This was largely true for 4Runner, GX470, and the initial GX460 2010-2013, but the facelift GX460 is now five years old, with the GX460 being largely the same for nine total model years. This current gen 4runner will run for at least ten model years and the current facelift at least six of those. If you expand your sights a little further, Toyota has been selling the same Tundras Sequoias with virtually no update since 2007. They've also gone from a one-refresh cycle to a two-refresh cycle on the Land Cruiser/LX and LC Prado, so it's unlikely the next news will be a redesign. It's very clear that Toyota is very, very lazy with their body-on-frame lineup as they are cheap to produce, still all sell very well, and make tons of money for Toyota's bottom line as-is. Best case we can hope for is going to be another light refresh, and not a true redesign or substantial overhaul.
8) Akio only wants sports cars in his line up and wants all SUVs to just die off. Witness how average the RX (RX-L) is and the amount of effort put into it vs the LC.
Old 08-01-18, 12:28 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
8) Akio only wants sports cars in his line up and wants all SUVs to just die off. Witness how average the RX (RX-L) is and the amount of effort put into it vs the LC.
Yeah pretty much.

Just look at how fast that new Supra is coming along

I suppose it's nice that Toyota is going to continue to put effort into their sedans while most of the industry is shifting toward SUVs and crossovers.
Old 08-01-18, 12:45 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Yeah pretty much.

Just look at how fast that new Supra is coming along

I suppose it's nice that Toyota is going to continue to put effort into their sedans while most of the industry is shifting toward SUVs and crossovers.
Well its been 10yrs in the making. All joking aside, maybe, I believe these Land Cruiser models have such a long shelf life is because it takes Toyota forever to design, engineer and test the heck out of these vehicles. Supposedly these things are engineered to last 25yrs.

The GX just set a massive sales record in July. I suppose that $4k hood money really did its magic and here I was hoping for even better incentives.
Old 08-01-18, 05:52 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Well its been 10yrs in the making. All joking aside, maybe, I believe these Land Cruiser models have such a long shelf life is because it takes Toyota forever to design, engineer and test the heck out of these vehicles. Supposedly these things are engineered to last 25yrs.

The GX just set a massive sales record in July. I suppose that $4k hood money really did its magic and here I was hoping for even better incentives.
yeah.. I contributed to the sales figure by utilizing that 4K Lexus cash.

Supra on the other hand is a BMW with a Toyota logo. Failure most probably.
Old 08-01-18, 08:06 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE

yeah.. I contributed to the sales figure by utilizing that 4K Lexus cash.

Supra on the other hand is a BMW with a Toyota logo. Failure most probably.
I hope so. Akio needs to let go of the sports car experiment. It is not doing the rest of the lineup any favors.
Old 08-01-18, 08:10 PM
situman
Pole Position

So went to a dealer in Brooklyn NY and the rep told me there will be an updated GX, a mini LX of sorts and it will hit showrooms by December with production starting in November. Of course I didn't walk out of there with a new GX since the promotions still suck in the East coast even though there were supposed new incentives. I hate dealers.
Old 08-15-18, 12:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Its official the Lexus 2019 GX will be a CARRYOVER

----
See ya here again next yr same time same place
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (08-17-18)
Old 08-15-18, 01:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

2019 Brochure
The following 3 users liked this post by Acrad:
Craigyyy (08-17-18), paui4m (08-16-18), vlad_a (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 02:18 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Its official the Lexus 2019 GX will be a CARRYOVER

----
See ya here again next yr same time same place
Just like i thought, at least i don't have the itch for a newer model since 2014
Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Seems like there is more effort in updating the brochure than the car itself ....
actually let me take that back, just checked the MY18 brochure and it looks to be about the same pictures as well.
Old 08-15-18, 02:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Looks like some '19's already showing up or en route... just checked a couple VINs and they come back as '19s

https://www.autoblog.com/used-list/y...NY/range-12500

Old 08-15-18, 02:54 PM
Ra1211
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im so sad, but still getting one
Old 08-15-18, 02:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

They are like a Honda EU2000i generator... so good you can keep them basically the same for a decade :-)
The following users liked this post:
CanadaGX (08-16-18)

Quick Reply: 2019 refresh watch