GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Thinking about a GX

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 06:35 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like the others guys above said take the used one. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. $11k is a lot of money and I doubt that you’ll even notice 44k miles. Just make sure that it checks out and keep up on preventative maintenance. These trucks are proven workhorses & reliable. I would much rather have a reliable vehicle than a new vehicle that is not proven itself.
The following users liked this post:
php (06-19-18)
Old 06-18-18, 12:56 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all. I'm planning to check out and test drive the 14 today. It's actually a late 14 vehicle (sold 7/7/14), local one owner and even includes BSM (which I believe didn't come standard with premium package back in 2014). As many of you said the GX is a weird situation, as the 14 is almost exactly the same as 18, with pretty much no additional features/updates to exterior/interior/tech. On top of that I also think the GX is almost the most reliable Lexus among all, so the new car warranty and difference of 40k miles isn't worth as much as it would on most other vehicles. The only other thing is exterior color - new car is Nightfall Mica (midnight blue ish which I find pretty rare for the GX and I love it) vs plain silver for the 2014.
Old 06-18-18, 02:45 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Food for thought folks: 2016 GX luxury package lease return with 37k miles, residual was $35k, CarMax offered $32k, the lessee returned vehicle to dealership upon expiration.
This same vehicle will be inspected, washed and put back on the dealer lot as CPO (if lexus dealer) for about $44 to $46. This was last week in Los Angeles.

If say the price of new can be had for $48k and the previous owner of the 4 years older used 2014 with similar package and 44k miles is paid $30k- $32k to sell his car to the dealership
who then turns around and sells this vehicle at $5,000 mark up or a no haggle price at $37k, who wins? The dealer.

Technically, the person who first bought/leased the vehicle is taking the biggest hit on the depreciation no doubt...but then one has to wonder if that depreciation hit is being transferred to you as a saving....not actually.
I think this is because the $11k saving from the cost of new price of $48k of which $4-5k is being paid to the dealership for profit. So, if you consider your upfront out of pocket expense of $4-5k to buy the vehicle from the dealership who took it in as trade or lease return and turn around it sell it back to you... actual realized savings is $7-6k for a 4 years older, w 44k miles...is another way to look at it.
The following 3 users liked this post by rmason:
Acrad (06-18-18), hzhao (06-18-18), php (06-19-18)
Old 06-18-18, 07:13 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I'm not understanding the math correctly, but wouldn't this case be: total of $16k of depreciation (48k - 32k trade in price),and dealer marks it up $5k and the next buyer eats that, but then the saving is still $11k (16k price gap between new and 2014 trade in, then minus 5k dealer mark up?
Old 06-18-18, 07:20 PM
rmason
Driver

Net price savings one gets is $11k ..value on the other hand is about 1/2 that.
Old 06-20-18, 10:48 AM
rmason
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by php
Thanks all. I'm planning to check out and test drive the 14 today. It's actually a late 14 vehicle (sold 7/7/14), local one owner and even includes BSM (which I believe didn't come standard with premium package back in 2014). As many of you said the GX is a weird situation, as the 14 is almost exactly the same as 18, with pretty much no additional features/updates to exterior/interior/tech. On top of that I also think the GX is almost the most reliable Lexus among all, so the new car warranty and difference of 40k miles isn't worth as much as it would on most other vehicles. The only other thing is exterior color - new car is Nightfall Mica (midnight blue ish which I find pretty rare for the GX and I love it) vs plain silver for the 2014.

Great choice! I too fell in love when I saw it.
Good luck
Old 06-20-18, 01:59 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

rmason,

I saw that silver lip on one of the new cars on the lot the other day. I loved it. Is this a simple bolt on? Or does that require a whole different bumper vs the normal ones I see on the road?
Old 06-20-18, 02:02 PM
rmason
Driver

From what i know its part of the larger front facia. This sports design package which was available starting 2017 comes with the front and rear lip.
Old 06-20-18, 02:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Here is the parts lists that Bell Lexus North Scottsdale (belllexusnorthscottsdale) emailed me for Sport Design Package

MSRP for a conversion would be ---> $2837.53

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10082502
Old 06-20-18, 03:35 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

3k...ok never mind then
Wadle5 (07-03-18)
Old 06-25-18, 02:42 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

so I'm getting close to buying the 2014 one. Dealership and I landed on an agreed price, scheduled for a PPI on Wed. I might call the other Lexus dealer to see if they have any wiggle room on the 2018 brand new, but if not I think I will buy this one if everything checks out.

I do have another question: Since this is a late 14 car (registration date of 7/17/14), the car in theory is still under original warranty. Would I be able to go to Lexus and extend the warranty, similar to a CPO? If possible would it be worth it given the overall reliability of the GX? If I can get an extended 2 year warranty for around $2k I might consider it, but wanted to get your thoughts to see if this is necessary.
Old 06-25-18, 02:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Powertrain is 7/70 from in-service date.
Old 06-25-18, 03:18 PM
rmason
Driver

Originally Posted by php
I do have another question: Since this is a late 14 car (registration date of 7/17/14), the car in theory is still under original warranty. Would I be able to go to Lexus and extend the warranty, similar to a CPO? If possible would it be worth it given the overall reliability of the GX? If I can get an extended 2 year warranty for around $2k I might consider it, but wanted to get your thoughts to see if this is necessary.
Yes, you will likely be able to purchase an extended warranty through lexus dealership, but please make sure with your local dealer before the purchase.

Whether if it's worth it, is something you will need to decide based on the current condition and what the value of the warranty means to you. It's really a toss-up and i'll tell you why.
Example: i've purchased a 2015 lexus rc cpo for my wife w30k miles clean as a dime and drove fine w/ all service recs lease return. After purchase, freeway drive discovered a shot wheel bearing and two bad front struts and a bad (wrong) brake pads installed on the vehicle causing jingling and jangling over bumps. Long story short...this is what they found...on a CPO and this was two months ago.

final: These are the tech notes: "TEST DROVE VEHICLE WITH CUSTOMER AND CONFIRMED NOISE. FOUND FRONT SHOCKS TO BE SEEPING CAUSING THE NOISE 430151 430151A REPLACED FRONT SHOCKS AND STRUT TOWERS NO NOISE AFTER REPAIR." " ALSO HEARD NOISE CONFIRMING CUSTOMERS CONCERN CAUSED BY THE FRONT BRAKES. RECENTLY FRONT BRAKE SERVICE WAS PERFORMED AT LEXUS OF ****** AND WRONG BRAKE PADS WERE INSTALLED. REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS, SHIMS AND ROTORS. ALSO INSTALLED A SHIM BETWEEN THE HUB ON BOTH FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT. They also redid the alignments. For this case for this vehicle, the CPO paid for itself and for me obviously I would highly recommend a CPO.

Again speaking of not price; but value...if you're spending 2500-3000 extra clams for assurance on the 14 and you can get in a new 18 for a decent price, you're etching closer to better value purchase with the new IMHO.

Not trying to scare you, just telling you what I've experienced. Lastly, like many will agree most extended warranty plans are not cheap and statistically a profitable package (please be sure to review any exclusions as well)

Good luck and be sure to share some pics regardless of which one you purchase.

Last edited by rmason; 06-25-18 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-02-18, 07:23 AM
php
Driver School Candidate

All, just an update. I pulled the trigger this past Friday. At the end I decided to go with the 14. I did a PPI and two things were discovered: Transfer case leak and need brakes. The car was brought to Lexus and got the leak repaired before I agreed to buy(still under original warranty for 3 more weeks), and the Ford dealer where I bought it from agreed to do the brakes. Even though I believe I can't go wrong with either buying new or this one, I'm happy with my choice. I drove it a good 200 miles this weekend and it's very quiet, comfortable but still feels rock solid, just what I was looking for. The only thing is gas mileage....oh my I would need a month or two to get used to this....it's much worse than even my 911!

Oh and I finally understood why many have been complaining about the cupholders. During this weekend I already somehow broke one of them! One of the tips snapped and fell in. They do seem very fragile....any advice on how to get it fixed, OEM or something better, and roughly the cost associated with it?

But still satisfied with purchase! Here's a quick picture shortly after driving off the lot. Hope this truck can last me a long time. Thanks all for the useful information and I look forward to contribute in the future.

Wadle5 (07-03-18)
Old 07-02-18, 03:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Remember your powertrain warranty is for 6 years or 70k miles.

How many miles are on it?

Originally Posted by php
All, just an update. I pulled the trigger this past Friday. At the end I decided to go with the 14. I did a PPI and two things were discovered: Transfer case leak and need brakes. The car was brought to Lexus and got the leak repaired before I agreed to buy(still under original warranty for 3 more weeks),

Quick Reply: Thinking about a GX