ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023-219/)
-   -   Deciding between "new" GX 460 and "used" LX 570 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023/890460-deciding-between-new-gx-460-and-used-lx-570-a.html)

mikec82329 06-01-18 06:20 PM

Deciding between "new" GX 460 and "used" LX 570

Hello Everyone,

I am debating between two options as I look for a new car:

OPTION 1: Brand new 2018 GX460 with premium package.
OPTION 2: Used LX570 (either 2013, 2014, 2015) with less than 30k miles with certified pre-owned.

What are some of your thoughts?

Best,

Mike

hzhao 06-01-18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by mikec82329 (Post 10213858)
Hello Everyone,

I am debating between two options as I look for a new car:

OPTION 1: Brand new 2018 GX460 with premium package.
OPTION 2: Used LX570 (either 2013, 2014, 2015) with less than 30k miles with certified pre-owned.

What are some of your thoughts?

Best,

Mike

Just posted a reply in LX forum for your question.

rcho 06-01-18 06:35 PM

Maybe a used l cert 18’ GX luxury with cap chair, sport pack and driver support pack with 600 miles , I was searching Lexus Of Brookfield in WI
have one

https://www.lexusofbrookfield.com/us...4039414f00.htm

Jacket 06-04-18 06:37 AM

Buy whichever one you like better. They are both great. You might be able to get a better deal on a new platform given that the dealers have more room to work with. Used cars have a set value already with the dealer, so they can sometimes wiggle less on the used fleet as compared to the new ones.

Craigyyy 06-05-18 11:09 AM

Drive both.

LX is probably a better deal from a price/depreciation standpoint.

GX will get better fuel economy. I think I like the look of the new GX better than the 13-15 LX, but that's a minor issue.

There will be few things that the LX can do that the GX can't, but the LX is going to be a slightly bigger, nicer vehicle.

hzhao 06-05-18 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Craigyyy (Post 10216790)
Drive both.

LX is probably a better deal from a price/depreciation standpoint.

GX will get better fuel economy. I think I like the look of the new GX better than the 13-15 LX, but that's a minor issue.

There will be few things that the LX can do that the GX can't, but the LX is going to be a slightly bigger, nicer vehicle.

From off road capability point of view, by adding Crawl Control and MTS to GX as many members have done so here, will make GX and LX nearly identical (functional wise). One feature that LX has, called "Steering Wheel Assist (Turning Assist)" for off-roading is very nice, which basically to be able to make tight turns in limited space, particularly useful for the size of LX. Consider GX is relatively short, without this feature does not pose any significant disadvantage.

BTay1 06-17-18 04:59 AM

We recently went thru same decision. Began the process by cross shopping the 4Runner/GX, as we own two 08' 4runners. Liked the GX ok, but not overly excited about the purchase. We wanted a vehicle we would be happy with for years after the "New" wore off, just didn't get that feeling with the GX. Once we test drove the LX, we knew this was the vehicle for us. To us, the comparison was not even close.

We settled on a 2015 LX with 39,000 miles that was in great shape. The only downside we've found is purchasing used, we had limited local selection and the fact it's not new. We can accept this, considering the price we paid for a 2 1/2 year old vehicle of this quality.

cruzinZ 06-17-18 06:21 PM

Test drive both and decide from there. The LX570 will get a few miles per gallon less than the GX. It’s not a complete deal killer as they are both thirsty V8’s with AWD drivetrains. It all depends on where you will be driving the vehicle. If you live in a congested city with narrow parking spots the GX is for you. If you live in an area with ample parking and plan on using the vehicle for road trips the LX would be a better pick. They are both very capable vehicles and extremely comfortable. If I were in your shoes it would be the LX all the way. We currently have a GX460 and I wouldn’t trade it for anything but it sure would be nice to have a little more room for a growing family.

TraderHal 02-05-19 04:29 AM

Im in a very silimar situation. I decided to go with the LX570. The LX570 drives better on the highway where most of my miles are conducted.

John00 02-05-19 03:02 PM

why not a slightly used GX in the comparison? avoid the depreciation. although might not be much, its highest the first year.
I had the same decision thoughts as cruzinZ above when I chose. Tight parking at work was the deciding factor, then the bonus slight gas savings. thirdly was cost since I was comparing used to used, although similar price ranges.

BradTank 02-05-19 05:10 PM

Went through something similar, I liked the LX, but I have to say the vehicle is simply absurdly over priced for what it is. New, out the door, around $110,000+ depending on options. Obviously used changes that math, but if you keep it for 4-5 more years, it's probably going to have close to 100k miles and the resale does take a massive hit.

The GX in comparison is actually a decent value compared to other SUVs. Not that much more than a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee. And if you buy it new, in 4-5 years, it actually has quite a bit left in resale. And your repairs were covered under Lexus factory warranty. A used LX of that vintage will largely be up to you to repair.

The LX gas mileage really is terrible also, I normally don't care all that much about mpgs, but it's like a muscle car from the 60's. 13mpg city.

No question the LX is a "money is no object" vehicle that's better. But for my uses, it was like a GX with like 2" more legroom for almost twice the price.

caesosa 02-05-19 05:44 PM

There is often a saying in the land cruiser forums. “buy the best land cruiser you can afford”. Why this saying makes sense? Usually the more expensive used the less miles on them but they have depreciated from new. Also, both the GX and LX don’t depreciate like other cars. Once you get into high mileage cars, you start getting into a different market who wants them for overlanding. So again, buy the best you can afford. If 30k is your budget, a GX with less than 100k miles May be in store. 40k may be a higher mileage LX or a low miles GX. If your budget is 60k, buy a very mildly used LX. They will all pay you back.

r2m 02-06-19 09:40 AM

Three words: "size, size, size"
What are you using it for? If it's for a large family, pets, shopping, etc. absolutely the LX.
If you're wanting a true off-roader, the GX. The reason is that the GX is the same platform as the 4Runner. That being said, most off road trails are made for the width of a Jeep. Albeit, Jeeps have been getting wider especially with guys mounting 37" plus size tires on off-set rims, the trails have become a little wider also, but off roading with LX may give you more trail pin striping and maybe even a buckled panel, where the GX will move through the trails a little easier.

FYI, I've had two 100 series Landcruisers and built one up for overlanding, and they are awesome rigs for that, but are also on the larger size. Now the newer 200 series are even larger.

I'm not even going to go into gas mileage, because MPG is similar within one or two MPG, anyone purchasing any of these should NOT be concerned about MPG. We buy these because they'll last forever!
So the final question is: what are you using it for?

konc3pt 02-06-19 01:17 PM

I have GX and never driven LX, cost and MPG aside I would probably go for LX myself because I like big cars, however Ms does not. Hell would be happy with new Sequoia too :)

Money wise first owner of used LX probably ate up good chunk of depreciation value.

coolsaber 02-07-19 04:51 PM

its a tossup. See how the LX feels, undercarriage service history. If everything feels and looks brand new, and the LX is about the same cost of the new GX then go LX. Both will last you forever, the LX will pull in higher resell offers. Just know the chances of those two above conditions usually never happen, dealers know the LX has a good 2ndhand market so I`d wager you end up logically with a GX. The LX would be more a emotional decision then a logical one.