GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-22, 04:58 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

I have the Beatsonic Shiftpower and love it.. honestly don’t know if I could stand the truck with the stock throttle mapping (I know that sounds dramatic).

it’s impossible to map the throttle to be too touch with the Beatsonic. You can customize the sensitivity to as little (stock) to as much (“racing”) as you want
The following 2 users liked this post by Peacebay:
krellboy (05-05-22), MrTorgue (05-04-22)
Old 05-04-22, 05:39 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by klinquist
@krellboy , for what it's worth, I tried the pedal commander and sold it within a week. It was fine above ~20mph but even in the slower modes, the car was too jumpy off the line. So much that I had to warn anyone else driving my car.

Banks now makes one that plugs into the OBD2 port and uses speed as one of the inputs to determine how much to change the throttle mapping. I want to try it instead, I've heard good things on the GXOR FB group.

Remember, all these products are doing is making the car think you are pressing the pedal down more than you actually are.
Agree 100%. I found that even in the least aggressive mode, that it was hard to modulate a low neighborhood speed. (~20--25 mph) I'll be removing it and passing it on to a nephew with a couple of 4Runners. He has the same unit on one of his and loves it. I think these work better with 6 cyl motors that don't have as much low end torque as our 1UR-FE V8 engines.

As an aside, I recently drove 1200 miles back from Florida, and averaged ~80--85 and got a little over 20 mpg on the first tank. When I hit Georgia and the Tennessee hills, (mountains?) stop and go traffic, it dropped to just over 18 mpg. I would guess that a "back of the envelope" estimate would be 19 mpg for the entire trip. Not bad at all considering that all of the back seats were down and packed with golf clubs, and three months of clothes and household stuff. With a full tank of gas and two adults, it had to be close to a 6,000# GVW. I'm happy with that. (BTW, two years ago on the same return trip, I had one tank of [I wish I could remember what brand] of gas that I got over 22 mpg in the flatlands of Florida...FWIW)

The following users liked this post:
krellboy (05-05-22)
Old 05-04-22, 05:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I actually run mine in ECO mode most of the time. It mitigates the really slow jerkiness I feel in parking lots and bumper to bumper traffic I feel in mine. I also leverage 2nd gear start at times in traffic as it also has a throttle desensitization effect while on.

MrTorgue (05-04-22)
Old 05-04-22, 07:10 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

I run my pedal commander in City or City +1. Suits my style very well. I absolutely will not drive a GX460 without one of these throttle controllers until an ECU tune is mainstream.
Peacebay (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 11:50 AM
krellboy
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peacebay
I have the Beatsonic Shiftpower and love it.. honestly don’t know if I could stand the truck with the stock throttle mapping (I know that sounds dramatic).

it’s impossible to map the throttle to be too touch with the Beatsonic. You can customize the sensitivity to as little (stock) to as much (“racing”) as you want
Thanks for keeping this thread going and adding more input.

I agree that I literally hate the way this throttle works... from a stop especially. Seems like it just won't creep....then suddenly spurts forward. The Beatsonic was the other device that intrigued me....his company is younger so I wonder about support should I need it later. He did seem to have other electronics he adapted as after market items....perhaps an engineering type guy. I did seem to think that the absolute linearity would be nice if trying for a granular effect. I think I'll give your idea some more thought and also check into what klinquist mentioned that went into the OBD port.....Banks. I've got to do something....it's unworkable as it stands. More later.
Old 05-06-22, 06:55 AM
krellboy
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Hrocks
Agree 100%. I found that even in the least aggressive mode, that it was hard to modulate a low neighborhood speed. (~20--25 mph) I'll be removing it and passing it on to a nephew with a couple of 4Runners. He has the same unit on one of his and loves it. I think these work better with 6 cyl motors that don't have as much low end torque as our 1UR-FE V8 engines.

As an aside, I recently drove 1200 miles back from Florida, and averaged ~80--85 and got a little over 20 mpg on the first tank. When I hit Georgia and the Tennessee hills, (mountains?) stop and go traffic, it dropped to just over 18 mpg. I would guess that a "back of the envelope" estimate would be 19 mpg for the entire trip. Not bad at all considering that all of the back seats were down and packed with golf clubs, and three months of clothes and household stuff. With a full tank of gas and two adults, it had to be close to a 6,000# GVW. I'm happy with that. (BTW, two years ago on the same return trip, I had one tank of [I wish I could remember what brand] of gas that I got over 22 mpg in the flatlands of Florida...FWIW)
@Hrocks Which device do you have or have used? You mentioned earlier you were using the GiddyUp....so is this reply about the GiddyUp or the Pedal Commander? Have you used both??

While the consensus still seems that most have used or tried the PC I'm hearing a bit of an under current of mild dissatisfaction....in the sense of the whole notion being a a bit oversold. Most seem to use only one setting. It seems like a market share thing with PC.

GiddyUp is cheap....perhaps does the same thing in general as PC, Bank's products are expensive and seemingly over complicated....the OBD connection can't really change anything just read some data....in the end only changing throttle response....speed related or not. BeatsSonic seems interesting viz the linear vs exponential response....likely not very noticeable during average use.

My feeling is that I do probably need to give one of these devices a try and see for myself.
Old 05-06-22, 07:03 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Almost MBG w/$9 fee to try out PC

https://pedalcommander.com/pages/ret...-and-exchanges

Banks looks interesting but OBD is already tied up with other stuff and that bus isn't the most friendly for multiple devices running off it
Old 05-06-22, 08:13 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

When I go on a website I simply want clear and concise product information ... no BS and no endless sales pitches. The Pedal Commander web site is an endless infomercial. While this device may be legitimate ... as reported by many users ... their web site marketing approach totally decimates my interest. Restated ... short of the many reported advantages as stated on this forum by actual users ... I would not buy this product if making a decision based on their chosen web site approach ... it comes off like the myriad of LED bulb web sites that spend more development effort on their web site than the actual product.

Last edited by ASE; 05-06-22 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 10:43 AM
krellboy
5th Gear

I'm going to give BeatSonic's product....ShiftPower Throttle Response Controller a try. They've been in business since the '90's....even before PC and make all types of aftermarket car electronics. I seem satisfied that they'll be available for after sale support. Price was $219. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 05-06-22, 11:02 AM
krellboy
5th Gear

Here's a couple of links..for the Beat Sonic....ShiftPower....

Users Manual

Last edited by krellboy; 05-06-22 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-10-22, 04:53 PM
cadman
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GX throttle response

I installed the Banks Pedal Monster ony '23 GX. Definitely fixed the throttle response from a standstill, and with numerous level settings, it has the perfect setting for everyone's driving style/preference. Best upgrade yet!
Old 01-21-23, 08:13 AM
cadman
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Quantum Solenoid for Lexus GX460. Vvti solenoids for intake & exhaust.

Hi. I would like a little hp & torque increase in my 2023 GX460. Can these intake & exhaust vvti solenoids be installed safely & offer a small bump in performance? Has anyone installed these successfully & are they safe and reliable for the vehicle? Are these the only available way to tune the 1URFE engine? Thx! ​​
Old 01-21-23, 10:25 AM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman
Hi. I would like a little hp & torque increase in my 2023 GX460. Can these intake & exhaust vvti solenoids be installed safely & offer a small bump in performance? Has anyone installed these successfully & are they safe and reliable for the vehicle? Are these the only available way to tune the 1URFE engine? Thx! ​​
I am personally very hesitant of “performance hacks”. They are generally much much lower quality than OEM. I hope, This solenoid is the exception.

I wouldn’t trade reliability of this vehicle. That’s the very reason I got the GX and not an Audi Q7. Good luck !!!

Old 01-24-23, 01:52 PM
stapletron
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman
I am keeping my eye on this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html