GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Great to be back with another Lexus(2018 GX)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 11:27 PM
GX460Dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool Great to be back with another Lexus(2018 GX)

Hola Folks!

Old CL family member here but with a new handle, new Lexus, and Drivers school candidate moniker ... but it’s good to be back. I’ve already introduced myself in the roll call thread and this Thread here will be my main one in regards to my 2018 GX460 Premium. The purpose of this thread is provide us GX owners with additional information that they may already know or not know.

As with most of us, I’m someone who cannot leave any of his vehicles bone stock. Conversely, I’m not one who takes it to the fullest either. I love to use my vehicles practically and can call on them whenever they are needed. I will be submitting photos and info of things I will be adding to my GX here that I wish to share the knowledge with. I probably won’t add too much, but at least I’ll have it documented. Not much info out there exists other than the great ClubLexus empire here. So I wish to continue to contribute however I can for the greater good of this Second Gen GX platform as it evolves.

For the things I chose for my vehicle, it’s not THE absolute way to do it. We each have our own tastes and we should follow them accordingly. It will serve a gauge to what we each have in mind. Other GX owners will have an idea of what my posts will present. My purpose with this GX is to have an off road capable vehicle ready to go camping and take me to lesser visited fishing destinations around the country.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I am not one who closely guards his info. We’re in it together.

So without further ado, I’ll “kick” this off with new shoes. For me, this was the first no-brainer. I do not dig the sunken in look of the factory 18” wheels wrapped in Bridgestone rubbers. I love the rugged look of the off road equipped Tacoma’s and 4 Runners(a car highly considered if it weren’t for the killer deal on this GX). In fact, I upgraded the stocks on my 2006 Tacoma. Without a lift or any suspension mods, it totally transformed the look without sacrificing much at all. So the same had to be done for my GX. After doing a lot of research, I ultimately decided on down sizing to 17” wheels to display a higher profile sidewall all terrain tire. Wheel choices literally beat me into sleepless nights for the last few weeks. As fortune and fate would have it, I came across a brand new set of Method wheels for a pretty reasonable price. So I scooped them up the day after signing the papers for this GX.

The tires were easier to decide on. All Terrains were without a doubt my choice. With light to moderate trail riding in mind, I would need a set that would be both quiet and smooth on paved roads yet will be able to tackle the dirt, mud, and snow if needs be. Extreme off roading and rock climbing is not what I’m using this car for..lol. After going back and forth between General Grabber AT2’s(what I’m running on my Tacoma), the Toyo Open Country A/T’s, BFG KO2’s, and the Falken Wildpeak AT3’s...I went with the Falkens. Here’s why. At roughly $139 a piece after taxes, they were easily the most affordable. That’s not why I chose them. After reading numerous reviews, they are as advertised. They are super quiet on the highway. They look the best of the bunch in my opinion. They look super aggressive without the typical fuss associated with a tire of that nature. They are quieter than Grabber AT2’s on my Tacoma. So far, they have exceeded my expectations. I have yet to put them them on a trail. This will happen fairly shortly, so stay tuned. The same will be noted about tread life progress of these tires.

Here are the Specs on my set up.

Wheels:

Method MR305 - 6x5.5 lug pattern

17x8.5 with a 0 offset(gives it that slight poke) but I like that look for an off roading vehicle.

Backspace is 4.5” (clears factory calipers)

I’m not running the center caps(personal preference and have since painted the rear hub centers black)

Tires:

Falken Wildpeak AT3

265/65R17 (the over all diameter is 30.5”, which is the same as the factory 265/60R18 tires)

Inflated to 38psi

So far, this combo is ultra smooth with a slight(I mean real slight) road hum at highway speeds. Some of my friends couldn’t tell the difference when they rode in it prior to the switching. No shimmy or vibrations are felt. They balanced out perfectly on the Hunter equipment. They don’t rub for now. Turning lock to lock in either direction does not rub up front. It comes close, but doesn’t touch. I surmise that it will slightly rub if my vehicle is loaded down while off roading. This is due to the fact that the wheels negatively moved outwards beyond the fender and the aggressive shoulder lugs of the Falken tires. So far so good though. I don’t plan on lifting her for now. I just wanted more capable shoes. I’m happy with how she sits right now. Sorry for lengthy initial post...Until the next update!

Old 05-24-18, 05:37 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Congratulations with your new ride! And it is great looking with the new shoes
The following users liked this post:
GX460Dude (05-24-18)
Old 05-26-18, 11:57 PM
KingZee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice looking GX...I'm digging the wheels as well.
GX460Dude (05-27-18)
Old 05-28-18, 05:16 PM
rroman001
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Really nice set up. I think it's hit or miss with wheels on a GX460 so I went with F Sport Rims. Yours are a hit for sure. Im regretting not getting the BFG KO's though.
GX460Dude (05-28-18)
Old 05-28-18, 09:15 PM
GX460Dude
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rroman001
Really nice set up. I think it's hit or miss with wheels on a GX460 so I went with F Sport Rims. Yours are a hit for sure. Im regretting not getting the BFG KO's though.

Thanks bud...I always thought the GX’s would benefit greatly from a wheel/tire set that was slightly more aggressive ... I’m just glad the one I chose didn’t change the ride/comfort if any at all...
Old 05-28-18, 09:34 PM
GX460Dude
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick update...got the FrontRunner Slimline II rook rack system installed this weekend...I’m pleased with the entire system...installation wasn’t difficult ... took longer than normal because I didn’t want to rush things ... being a smaller dude, help from a friend definitely helped ... the instructions from FRO were pretty spot on...I would suggest laying out all of the parts and grouping them together...I also added the Expedition Rails, keeping the front end open by using 2 End kits...this will work nicely for all of our travel bags up top with a net securing them down...the only drawback with these is that the require the removal of the corner caps to slide the railing feet out if you don’t want the added height when not carrying items up top...here is a quick shot...more cleaner pictures will come at the end of this week hopefully ... cheers y’all
hzhao (05-29-18)
Old 08-22-18, 10:35 PM
GX460Dude
Driver School Candidate

3 month update! Acquired a 5th Wheel/Tire along with a custom hitch mounted Spare Carrier...seeing areas less frequented lately

The following 2 users liked this post by GX460Dude:
bbqsoup (02-25-20), jkonquer (08-26-18)
Old 08-22-18, 11:35 PM
erx808
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice setup like the rear carrier!!
GX460Dude (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 08:37 AM
GX460Dude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by erx808
Nice setup like the rear carrier!!
Thanks dude!
Old 04-14-19, 05:08 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

these are the wheels I have been looking at, and I have the same color GX
you mention they sit wider than stock? do they sit flush with the fender? I am going to stick with 18" and have KO2 265/70/18, I am hoping with the wider rim they wont rub
how are they with brake dust? my factory rims collect so much brake dust (and regular dust) and look so dirty after a week of driving.
were you able to sell your factory rims or did you keep them?
Old 04-14-19, 05:33 PM
KingZee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GX460Dude
3 month update! Acquired a 5th Wheel/Tire along with a custom hitch mounted Spare Carrier...seeing areas less frequented lately
Looks great, would do something similar if I did anything.
Old 04-14-19, 05:41 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
you mention they sit wider than stock? do they sit flush with the fender? I am going to stick with 18" and have KO2 265/70/18, I am hoping with the wider rim they wont rub
how are they with brake dust? my factory rims collect so much brake dust (and regular dust) and look so dirty after a week of driving.
just wanted to share this tidbit with brake dust. I still have my factory wheels but I did ceramic coat them myself inside and out and I get minimal brake dust. Cleaning is easy and fast.
leftyguns (04-14-19)
Old 04-25-19, 10:53 AM
GX460Dude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leftyguns
Soooo sorry for the late response dude! I've been so darn busy lately with work!

The wheels are wider by size. And with the zero offset, the wheels sit exactly flush with the fenders. With the mentioned 18"/K02 combo you've mentioned, it may slight just ever so slightly at full lock. However, you can most likely remove the screw from the inner fender liner and heat up the liner to get the clearance. My set doesn't rub at all. The only thing that sucks is, it doesn't look 100% beefy. In hindsight, I should've went with 265/70's. Oh well, I'll step up once these wear out.

As for the brake dust, I wouldn't say it's excessive by any means. The wheels are black, so they naturally hide the brake dust better than the factory alloy wheels. I travel mostly on the highway and wash my GX regularly. So the brake dust comes off of these Methods pretty well with just mild soap and water.

I actually mounted my stock wheels on my dads '05 SR5 Double Cab Tacoma. He needed tires and it was just perfect timing. So I just put them on his truck for now.

Again, sorry for the late response. Here's the best picture I have of the wheels in relationship to the fenders.
The following 3 users liked this post by GX460Dude:
Acrad (04-25-19), bbqsoup (02-25-20), leftyguns (04-26-19)
Old 02-24-20, 10:45 PM
EPICjrneez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really love the look! It's so easy to want to go 285's and lift but I dig this proportional feel. Thought I read somewhere that your Falkens are SL rated. What are your hwy mpg's@mph?
Old 02-25-20, 09:28 AM
GX460Dude
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by EPICjrneez
Really love the look! It's so easy to want to go 285's and lift but I dig this proportional feel. Thought I read somewhere that your Falkens are SL rated. What are your hwy mpg's@mph?
Thanks for the kind words dude! The 265/65R17 Wildpeaks I had were actually "XL" rated. Since then, I have switched them out for 265/70R17 "SL" rated Wildpeaks with new wheels. My Tacoma needed new tires, so I figured this would be a good opportunity to make the switch. The new wheels are 17x9 +1 Offset Fuel Shok in Bronze.

As for the ratings between the two, they're pretty similar in MPG's ratings. I get horrible MPG as it stands anyhow. I'll get 300-310 miles per tank loaded down with 4-5 people along with our weekend getaway gear up top and in the cargo area. I just took a trip to Big Bear and back on the new set up and it was similar in efficiency(or deficiency depending on how you look at it..LOL) . The new set up "feels' heavier for sure. This probably robs the MPG ratings just slightly. The Method MR305/2656517 combo weighed a tad over 70 pounds. The Fuel Shock/2657017 weighs in around 72 pounds. So yeah, it is heavier and a taller tire to turn. I also had to trim and heat up certain areas of the front fender liners to prevent the rubbing. Eventually when my warranty runs out, I'll most likely go with 285's and a King or Icon up all the way around. One things for sure, this new set up looks waaayyy better imo.

Side note: My Tacoma looks way better with the Methods versus the Pro Comp 7032's I had before.

Here a couple of pics...Hope this helps!

The following 2 users liked this post by GX460Dude:
hadokenuh (02-25-20), SVTnSTi (02-25-20)

Quick Reply: Great to be back with another Lexus(2018 GX)